Quantcast

:clue: Good Monday Morning! :clue:

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
Good late morning all. Drying myself off from this weekend's rain. It's going to be a mess trying to mow my lawn once it dries out.

The mrs. is off to Burlington for work for the next 3 days, Max and I are in the bachelor pad again. :D

What does that mean? <sigh> not much of anything.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
still on my 3 day weekend, but rain kinda killed yesterday and today. awesome beach day saturday, did a road ride w/ the wife before the rain yesterday, left the cape this morning. kids are @ the grandparents, gotta run to the PO and then i'm gonna spend some time working on photos. yay.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Morning/afternoon all.

Had a pretty good weekend. Hit up Jiminy all day Saturday with a bunch of old and new friends from the Hcor board. It was nice to be a guide and actually ride DH with 9 people who are all about the same skill level. I think we hit every trail at least twice, sessioning the jump "zone" a bit and watching some of the mad jumpers hit the stream bed gap jump a few times. The biggest kick was had by watching the lift dude shut it down up top every time to pull off one of the groups 60+ lb Brooklyn. Afterwards we went back to their campsite in Hancock called "Privacy campsites"...thought it was a nudist colony but no such luck...just some guy with OCD (rules posted everywhere in meticulous order) running the place. A lot of fire, meat and beer was consumed, to say the least.

Sunday = recuperation from the 12 + runs and 6+ beers...Finally woke up to start (yet again) working on the rigs in prep for next weekend's Whiteface DH race - 2500 feet per run! Biggest in the east!

Today/tonight = work, quick XC ride, then Thai food and karaoke!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
All houses look small when you are just looking at the slab or the framing... then when it's sheetrocked it starts looking bigger again.

I am guessing it's around 1400+ SF heated..??
Not a bad guess, it's about 1250 IIRC. Small attic area, cathedral ceilings in the living room and master bedroom.

I actually didn't think it looked that small when it was the slab... and I think it looks bigger now that it's framed. Jenn is still convinced we're going to have to go pressed-against-the-wall, commando-style when we move from room to room, though :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Not a bad guess, it's about 1250 IIRC. Small attic area, cathedral ceilings in the living room and master bedroom.
OH MY GOD! That is even tinier than I thought! ;)

I actually didn't think it looked that small when it was the slab... and I think it looks bigger now that it's framed. Jenn is still convinced we're going to have to go pressed-against-the-wall, commando-style when we move from room to room, though :D
You will. :p

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop

That is the size of the house we are about to move out of this week.
If the floor plan is laid out well, it is a good size for two people.
And that "work" room on the back is a must.
It should work out well.
Good Luck.
We are "starting" to move in this week.
I need to take some pics.:)

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I've got Friday off as well (and the next 11 days after that too :D ), so I can ride with ya.
Kick ass! McG is thinking of ditching work too. Sweeeet.

I would bet not.
People from the Northeast always wig out when they see that smaller houses down here do not have garages.:)
Its common.
I'm thinking more for bike and tool storage. I really don't care about the cars. :D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
MBC and I lived in a 1200 sq foot apartment for five years and it was plenty big. Do you get a garage with that house?
No. We thought about it and hemmed and hawed, and eventually we decided to forego the garage in the interest of keeping the mortgage payments down while I am in school and then she will be in school. We had the house situated on the lot specifically to make sure there was room to add the garage on, though.

The weather is a bit more forgiving down here to those without garages :) - I can count the number of times I scraped frost off my winshield this past winter on one hand.

I think it'll be a good size. We don't own a lot of stuff, and we've got no kids, so it seems to me that there's a point at which it's simply added expense and added cleaning area. Given an unlimited budget, more square footage would have been fun but this will do just fine. Build some equity, let the house appreciate a bit, then we can look at something bigger :)

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
morning all. retook my senior pictures today and hopefully they will turn out well. i also picked up my parking sticker for school and i ended up getting a really good spot so i am excited about that. finished my ap calc summer assignment so i'm pretty much free to do what i want this week.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Alright, SS, we've heard it. You can give it a rest now :rolleyes:

N8, it's a Donald Gardner plan. Can't remember the number, but this looks like it, minus the garage and with the addition of an 8x8 storage room on the back right corner:

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
No kidding???!!!

Wow... what's the size of the bedrooms...?

Do you have a floor plan?
GR- 15 x 16
Dining- 12 x 9
Kitchen- 12 x 10
BR1- 12 x 14

and the other BRs are roughly 12 x 12, I think. Those should be close guesses. plus 2 full baths, 2 walk-in closets, linen closet, a smaller closet in the office (bed #3), a laundry room (6 x 4ish), a pantry (7x3ish), and the 12 x 10 screened porch.

the GR/dining/kitchen are all open, with the beds/baths coming off the right side of the house and the porch on the left. Also, there is a 20 x 18 patio off the back, and the 8 x 8 storage unit.

edit: sorry for the lack of capitalization; i am anxious to leave work. :)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

N8, it's a Donald Gardner plan. <snip>

They key to that plan is the kitchen/dining/great room combo. Our current house is kind of like that. All together & all open. Makes for a very spacious "feel" without being all that big. For the record - my pad is "only" 2300 sq. feet and it feels too big sometimes. :cheers:

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina

N8, it's a Donald Gardner plan. Can't remember the number, but this looks like it, minus the garage and with the addition of an 8x8 storage room on the back right corner:
It's called the Riley. Nice job, bv. Didn't see that before I posted. Oh well, mine weren't too far off, I suppose. I am outta here! :)

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus

Ah.... I've never built a Donald Gardner plan... but I have about 1000 catalogs from him... :p

Nice layout actually! That's a lot of features to pack into a small area. Very well designed.

The only thing I am not a fan of.. is not being able to directly duct the dryer vent to the outside... I always put the dryer on an exterior wall.

Are you going to just have a tile/marble hearth or are you going to build it up and elevate your fireplace? I almost always set the box on the floor in a small home...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
They key to that plan is the kitchen/dining/great room combo. Our current house is kind of like that. All together & all open. Makes for a very spacious "feel" without being all that big.
Yeah, that's what we thought. We actually walked into this exact same floor plan down the street (with the garage though) and it felt exceptionally spacious for such a small square footage. You know one thing that added a suprising amount? The TV niche is outside of the house so that the TV is actually flat with the interior wall.

No space taken up with a TV rack or stereo components. They all go in the wall.

N8, it's set on the floor and has a tiled hearth. It's not a real fireplace, just an electric one for looks - the primary function of that chimney looking deal is as an entertainment center... though from the outside, it looks like a real chimney. Can be converted to gas, of course, if we decided to do that in the future.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
GR- 15 x 16
Dining- 12 x 9
Kitchen- 12 x 10
BR1- 12 x 14

and the other BRs are roughly 12 x 12, I think. Those should be close guesses. plus 2 full baths, 2 walk-in closets, linen closet, a smaller closet in the office (bed #3), a laundry room (6 x 4ish), a pantry (7x3ish), and the 12 x 10 screened porch.

the GR/dining/kitchen are all open, with the beds/baths coming off the right side of the house and the porch on the left. Also, there is a 20 x 18 patio off the back, and the 8 x 8 storage unit.

edit: sorry for the lack of capitalization; i am anxious to leave work. :)

Biggggggggg difference between a 10x11 bedroom and a 12x12 bedroom....

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Yeah, that's what we thought. We actually walked into this exact same floor plan down the street (with the garage though) and it felt exceptionally spacious for such a small square footage. You know one thing that added a suprising amount? The TV niche is outside of the house so that the TV is actually flat with the interior wall.

No space taken up with a TV rack or stereo components. They all go in the wall.

N8, it's set on the floor and has a tiled hearth. It's not a real fireplace, just an electric one for looks - the primary function of that chimney looking deal is as an entertainment center... though from the outside, it looks like a real chimney. Can be converted to gas, of course, if we decided to do that in the future.

I am not following you on this... sketch?? pic..???

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I am not following you on this... sketch?? pic..???
That black section that says "fireplace"... see how it's flush with the interior wall? Well, it's not a brick chimney. It's actually three small insulated walls with an entertainment niche and a fireplace underneath it.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
That black section that says "fireplace"... see how it's flush with the interior wall? Well, it's not a brick chimney. It's actually three small insulated walls with an entertainment niche and a fireplace underneath it.
Oh i see... Does the tv mount up there above the fireplace too???

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Oh i see... Does the tv mount up there above the fireplace too???
Yep, that's one of the things that adds space to the small living room. The TV and all the entertainment components all go in there, so we don't have to have a entertainment center jutting out into the room, and limiting the field of view for the chairs/sofas.

The only things that are going to stick out a little are my speakers.

cadmus

Monkey
May 24, 2006
PNW
You guys should be stoked and proud that you're building a home. Don't let the shiit-talkers get you down. Who cares how big it is, its yours and that's more than a lot of people can say. That work room will be nice, we're in the process of getting a shed (and we have a effin garage).