Quantcast

Clutch DH (Dual Ply)

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I've got about 30 hours of ride time on them at this point, so I thought I'd share a little thoughts on them.

This is coming from the perspective that they are pretty much the same as the Minion DHF 3c.

Heres my short review:

My experience with the 2.3 left alot to be desired. It brakes very poorly, and I find myself dragging my brake far more frequently then any tire I've ever owned. (I've run 2.3 tires in the back before too). Side knobs were haggered in a matter of days, as were all braking knobs. Not very happy with how they held up; but the while it held up, cornered better then any other 2.3 I've ridden. I got 3 runs at downieville, and 3 days of northstar. As far as the feel of them, they lack a little bit of that cornering bite that maxxis has, but they transition from the middle knobs to the side knobs smoother - not huge differences in either direction (bite is pretty similar and transition is pretty similar). And the difference in bite is very very minimal to say the least. I actually think the dual ply casing clutch broke loose more predictably then the DHF, which I hold in very high regard for breaking lose predictably.

Casing was pretty damn good, no complaints there, was pretty similar to maxxis casing, but if anything I give the advantage to the clutch's. Bead hook was very good, the tires should work pretty acceptably for tubeless (obviously depending on rims etc etc).

The 2.5 is holding up way better then the 2.3. As a front tire, its the sh1t. If somebody was giving me free tires of my choice, I'd still probably take a minion. I'd be taking the clutch over the minion if the minion cost more then 2-3 dollars more. They're a very, very similar tire, and I'm very happy with the casing on the clutch. Knobs on the 2.5 are holding up just fine, I think there just wasn't enough rubber on the knobs of the 2.3 to hold up well. If you can get your hands on a set (again, the dual ply, NOT the SX, I haven't had as much experience on the SX and I really didn't like the casing from the experience I have) then you should snag them.

They definitely, even when haggered, roll faster then a minion DHF 3c does. The 3c DHF seems to roll quickly for a day or two, then the middle knobs get a little chewed up, and it rolls slower then an anchor. The clutch tires roll much faster from the start, and hold their rolling speed alot longer. I run the same PSI in each.

edit: I suppose I should add, I'm running dry hardpack/loose over hardpack trails, haven't ridden in the wet with them yet, (although I'm about to now that I'm in NY and my bike is coming in today). I weigh 170 lbs geared up, and I run the front at 31psi and the rear at 33. I'll update in a couple weeks after I've had some time in the wet.

The 2.3 is off my bike, and I'm back to a 2.5 3c highroller in the back, due to being more clapped out then a 12 dollar hooker. I'll only be able to talk about how the 2.5 dual ply clutch holds up in the wet, not the 2.3.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
30 hours is a pretty amazing amount of life from a set of tires I think! That equals 450 4 minute runs!!

I chew up a set of Minions to the point of uselessness in 30-40 runs typically.. (or about 2-3 hours of hard DH ride time) (I'm counting time on the trail only)

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
There is a second version that should be making it into distribution about now that addresses the side knob and cornering issues you speak of. The side knob is beefy up a little and the sipe (sp?) isn't as deep.

However I have found that the response to pressure was vastly different. I am able to run 30-32 psi in the DHFs. However to get comparable cornering traction I needed to run 28ish psi on the Clutch. Maybe play around with the pressure on the Clutch to find its sweet spot.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
30 hours is a pretty amazing amount of life from a set of tires I think! That equals 450 4 minute runs!!

I chew up a set of Minions to the point of uselessness in 30-40 runs typically.. (or about 2-3 hours of hard DH ride time) (I'm counting time on the trail only)
Thats a good point. I should amend that then. I was just counting time spent at northstar, but I probably only did a total of 15 hours of actual riding time if you count going up the lifts etc. In comparison, a single set of minion 2.5 3c's generally last me about a season. The 2.5 seems to be holding up similarly, the 2.3 fell apart fast.

There is a second version that should be making it into distribution about now that addresses the side knob and cornering issues you speak of. The side knob is beefy up a little and the sipe (sp?) isn't as deep.

However I have found that the response to pressure was vastly different. I am able to run 30-32 psi in the DHFs. However to get comparable cornering traction I needed to run 28ish psi on the Clutch. Maybe play around with the pressure on the Clutch to find its sweet spot.
They start feeling pretty sluggish for me at slower speeds, maybe its because I'm not riding fast enough to really push them or something, not sure, 31-33 works really well for me though, so I'll probably stick with that for now.

As far availability, I'm only buying them through my roommate who works at a specialized shop so I can get deals, and he tells me he can't get more of them until some time september-october range. Maybe those are the revised ones with the cut that isn't as deep? I've heard they're available, but I don't really know, and since I can always get minions of they don't become available, I'm not going to throw a sh1t fit if they don't get in.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
With as soft of a compound as the clutches have, I'm not surprised at all that they are doing that. Any tire would do the same with that compound. They do best on "softer" trails. Try a chunder if you are going to be riding really hardpack trails, you'll find it will last much longer. With the right trail conditions, the Clutches are hard to beat.