Quantcast

Cnet - Sony best, Apple Worst Sound Quality in DAP Roundup

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Cnet said:
Ultimately, MP3 players are about the music--so which one sounds the best? Determining the best-sounding player is a tricky task since many of the top devices utilize the same sound chips. In fact, unless you have the golden ears of an audiophile, it's difficult to notice the difference between devices. Still, we, the editors and CNET Labs, put them to the test using a playlist ranging from Air to Bob Dylan, comprising a variety of genres encoded at 320Kbps VBR MP3, setting equal volume levels, and disabling any EQ or sound-effects settings. Using a pair of our trusty Grado headphones, we judged sound quality in a blind sound test and came up with some consistent (and interesting) results. Described as warm and true, the sound quality of Cowon's iAudio X5 fared very well, as did the iRiver H320 right behind it. Toshiba's Gigabeat F20 had mixed reviews ("tinny," "good for techno" and "slightly processed with a hint of hiss") as did Creative's "tight" and "hiss-free" Zen Touch. But it was the brand-new Sony NW-HD5 that consistently ranked number one, delivering MP3s "with a crispy warm seal." Which consistently ranked last? Apple's iPod Photo.
Read more

;) :thumb:

I would really like to check out the X5. Hopefully Sony is improving their music management software :mumble:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
"crispy warm seal"? wtf? anyway, that page doesn't have any more than the paragraph blurb you quoted. i would like to see some data, not some second rate stringer's attempt at audiophile snootiness.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
syadasti said:
In any case, Apple's sound quality has never be anything great either in claimed numbers (apple doesn't provide any) or in tests..

Not hurtin' their sales much though, huh?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Apple has always been about marketing...

Just take a look at their history of psuedo claims/benchmarks against PC and yet now Jobs says Intel CPUs are better...