Quantcast

CO DH/Freeriders

Jay_Reemin

Chimp
Nov 9, 2005
Just curious how many of us are there in the area, what the scoop is on the race events in the area, and how many of you would be interested in riding a new race series this summer for DH!?

I'm working with a local mountain that is offering my company the opportunity in putting on a DH race series with lift serviced access. We would be building a new DH trail with stunts and such. We are considering a 4 series race; late June, Mid-July, Mid-August, and a finally race in September incorporating a road biking event with bands, BBQ, and Beverage's. We are considering one practice day followed by the race day once a month. I want to branch out to the freeriders too to make this a colaboration of big bike fun so the course will consist of race material but lots of stuff that keeps the wheels off the ground.

I'm running this post to see just how many of us are out there that would be interested in a new place to race/play at once a month.

Let me know your thoughts on this :lighten: as I'd like to bring my experience with events from other areas to this area as it's my new home.

Take care and ride on!
~J

Jay_Reemin

Chimp
Nov 9, 2005
I'd probably show, as long as there fun courses, well run, fair priced, and not in conflict with other big races in the region.

This sounds like the kind of thing the individual resorts have going on out on the east coast, seems to work pretty good for them.
what's a fair price? where can I locate the races that go on around here in CO so that I can stoke everyone with and extra 4 races!?

PDB

Chimp
Oct 4, 2006
Boulder, CO
I'm in - but I do agree that in regards to planning needs to ensure there's no major event conflicts and fair prices. I'd also like to see more sponsors, supporters, retailers and booth spaced being filled in order to create more of an atmosphere around the event (stress the event mentality over the race mentality).
If you need some local help (Planning, Marketing, etc) I'd be happy to lend whatever help I can. Feel free to PM or IM me.

Check out the Mountain States Cup, Intermountain Cup, AMBC races, etc.

GiveitHell

Chimp
Mar 9, 2007
Also, if you are going to have jumps and ladders and such, make sure none of the landings are flat. We have suspension but transitions are still nice. Willamette Pass in Oregon does what you are talking about and all the landings to their drops and jumps are flat. nothing like a flat landing to ruin a race run. cool idea though

Here are the two calenders that cover most of the races in the region this year. Definilty make sure not to overlap with any of the mountain states cup races, or any of the races of the national schedule that take place within the region, also 4th of July weekend is Crankworx Co so don't schedule then, If you can fit in a 4 race schedule around that, that would be sweet and I bet If you were to do a good job running them and promoting them then a good turnout would show.
http://www.usacycling.org/forms/mbnc/MTBNatzCalendar_Gravity.pdf
http://www.racemsc.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=6-

As far as price goes obviously the cheaper the better, but consider your costs and what is included. If the price is $30-$70 and it includes 2 days of lift tickets thats a lot different then $30-$70 for race fees and then $10-$20/day for lifts. The latter would definitely be the kind of deal that makes people unhappy.
Also when it comes to pricing think about what kind of pro payout/ammeter prizes there will be, all this should come into play when setting price. And probably for the first year you shouldn't plan on making much of a proffit, the first year should be geared more to putting on great races and building a series/reputation that a core group of regulars will be excited to race in the years to come.

Also, if you are going to have jumps and ladders and such, make sure none of the landings are flat. We have suspension but transitions are still nice. Willamette Pass in Oregon does what you are talking about and all the landings to their drops and jumps are flat. nothing like a flat landing to ruin a race run. cool idea though
To elaborate on this. Stunts that cannot be hit at race speed should probably not be included. That only makes things dangerous. So if you want to put in a 10 ft. latter drop make sure the landing is long enough to handle being hit at speed, and rout the approach appropriately so that speed will be in the ballpark. A great example of this being done wrong is the Coffin Jumps at Mammoth 04, hitting these at race speed almost ended one of out locals lives.

Jay_Reemin

Chimp
Nov 9, 2005
To elaborate on this. Stunts that cannot be hit at race speed should probably not be included. That only makes things dangerous. So if you want to put in a 10 ft. latter drop make sure the landing is long enough to handle being hit at speed, and rout the approach appropriately so that speed will be in the ballpark. A great example of this being done wrong is the Coffin Jumps at Mammoth 04, hitting these at race speed almost ended one of out locals lives.
Mike,

Thanks for all the input!

Thanks to all for the input so far. I came from the Pac NW where I was building backcountry Northshore trails. Last summer I spent it on the east coast building a race course. Our goal is to hit on all of the above to stoke the riders in the area. If the series goes well and we can show an interest, our plan is to develop a DS, 4x, freeride park scene with an area for progressive dj's for young bucks and pro's to sesh. Our heart, mind, and drive is in the right place, all we have to do is show an interest and all of us will have a nice new spot to shred this summer and sesh for 2008. :thumb:

GiveitHell

Chimp
Mar 9, 2007
where in the PNW? i lived in pdx for a year before moving back here to the sunshine, but thats where i got into big bikes

Jay_Reemin

Chimp
Nov 9, 2005
where in the PNW? i lived in pdx for a year before moving back here to the sunshine, but thats where i got into big bikes
I was in the south sound near Puyallup/Bonney Lake...sounds like a similar story... I was out there riding trail and dirtbiking, came across some crazy locals that showed me a hidden northshore trail back in 2002. Ever since then the dirt bike was sold, the trail bike got a bit dusty, and I acquired a new passion for the dirt. Shortly after that I began building trail on all my days off to where it became as much of a passion as riding was...well almost.

Anyhow, long story short, I run an event company with a few others and we do ski and snowboard stuff primarily. However my cousin is big into raising awareness for a foundation called CHARGE Syndrome and biking has been his main drive to do so. With my passion to build trail and ride, as well as his passion to ride and support a good cause, we joined forces and are looking to expand upon our passions with our profession. We hope to make a positive impact on the DH scene here in CO as well as support a good cause.

Keep the feedback flowing guys, the more that post the easier it will be for us to provide a quality event as the biggest and hardest part about all of this is finding sponsors who are looking to get their name out there. The trail building, resort cooperation and enthusiasm is in full swing, it's always the funding that runs low.

The more of us around that post and show an interest, the better funded this event will be which means we can provide good prize's and set a foundation for a park next season!

Ride on!
~Josh

Sep 9, 2004
Littleton, CO
Sounds like this could be good. And I think the majority of us would all be down for more local races. But like Mike said it would have to be done right. Our standards are pretty high because of the Mountain States Cup. It's one of, if not the, most well run circuts in the nation. If you want help seeing what a good event is, come to Angel Fire this year, I'm sure you wont be let down.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
Sounds good to me, I'm in, only thing (which I'm sure you're aware of), please don't overlap anything....already had to choose between two events on one weekend this year, and don't care to do it again. I would also like to take the time to say WELCOME TO THE AREA!!

Jay_Reemin

Chimp
Nov 9, 2005
Sounds good to me, I'm in, only thing (which I'm sure you're aware of), please don't overlap anything....already had to choose between two events on one weekend this year, and don't care to do it again. I would also like to take the time to say WELCOME TO THE AREA!!

Thanks for the welcome BP!

After looking at all the events in the area and the surrounding states, not to mention the nationals, I've noticed that every weekend is full to the brim with events...

Let me ask everyone this...If we had to pick one weekend per month for June, July, August, and September, what would be the best bet? Do all the gravity junkies attend the xc events, the out of state events, or should we just focus on not conflicting with local CO gravity events?

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
IMO don't worry about overlapping w/ the xc events, like the MSC at Eldora. So by my calendar, that's only 5 wkends for MSC, the nationals at Snowmass and then Crankworks you need to schedule around. And I know a lot of guys who race, but none of them hit many non-MSC races, so I know you'd have a good turnout even if it does coincide w/ a non regional race.

Here is my opinion. I've listed the races I feel are close/big enough to consider, and the dates that shouldn't have any conflict.
Also keep an eye out for 2 more dates to be release for the rocky mt. G3 series. Maybe contact Mike McCormick of Big Foot Productions to see if he has any more info on that.
June
-Races already Scheduled in region: Park City 16-17, Crestid Butte 23-24
-Open Dates 2-3 or 9-10
July
-Races already Scheduled Crankworx Co 7-8, Blast the Mass 14-15, National Champs in VT 21-22, Full Tilt in Telluride 28-29.
-No Dates are fully open but I would schedule on the 21-22 a lot of us won't be traveling to Vt for Nationals anyways, and I'd bet you would still get a good turnout.
August
-Races already scheduled, NMBS finals in Snowmass 11-12, Idaho state champs 18-19
-Dates open 4-5, 25-26
September
-Races already scheduled, Keystone Climax 1-3,
-Open dates rest of month.

Hope this helps.

Jay_Reemin

Chimp
Nov 9, 2005
Hey thanks for the input again everyone, the dates are great, we will do our best to work around whatever works for ya'll. Being the new guys on the block, we want to stoke ya'll as much as we can so the more input I get from everyone on dates, what you'd like to see prize standards and or prize wants (within reason, remember we are not making much if anything this year so I can't be giving away Specialized Demo 9's or anything...) pricing as mentioned earlier, etc.

How does a practice days and a race day (Sat./Sun. combo) for say $100 sound with lift tickets included, jersey, goodie bags, and prize's for the top 3 in each class? We are considering on making this a 3 weekend qualifier type of event to where the 4th weekend sometime in September would be the cream of the crop competing for something on a larger scale like a bike or something. All we want to be able to do is cover the costs involved for this year, stoke everyone with good prize's, and show that ya'll have an interest in numbers so we can develop a bike park that can be run at night and day with a sound system, lighting, etc for next season. If we get enough riders that show up and are stoked, 2008 is going to be a killer year for us all!

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
How does a practice days and a race day (Sat./Sun. combo) for say $100 sound with lift tickets included, jersey, goodie bags, and prize's for the top 3 in each class?

Ditch the included t-shirt (or jersey?), lower your base price and make the apparel optional.

Typically I pay $40-55 per event (and that's at the high end of things), plus a day on the lift (around $20) - generally race day is included, as most riders will only make one run because the main dh trail is tied up with racing for the day. This totals to $60-75 for the one event and ticket.

That's a doable number, but only if the courses are pretty top notch.

A good event (in the eyes of most racers) comes down to hassle free registration, a solid course, clear practice runs, and consistent timing.

How does a practice days and a race day (Sat./Sun. combo) for say $100 sound with lift tickets included, jersey, goodie bags, and prize's for the top 3 in each class?
I Agree with Brandon, not really interested in Jersey's or goodie bags, would much rather not get that stuff and have a lower entry fees. For example Chile Challenge comming up here my registration is $40 and at a lot of events pro's lift tickets are comped, and for others there $10-$15 per day with race day included.

To me $40 entry with no goodies then $10-$15 for training day ticket sounds more enticing.

Here is the Chile Challenge registration breakdown, lift tickets not included

DH Pro Male $40.00
DH Semi-Pro Male $40.00
DH Expert 19-24 Male $40.00
DH Expert 25-29 Male $40.00
DH Expert 30-39 Male $40.00
DH Expert 40-49 Male $40.00
DH Expert 50+ Male $40.00
DH Sport 19-24 Male $35.00
DH Sport 25-29 Male $35.00
DH Sport 30-39 Male $35.00
DH Sport 40-49 Male $35.00
DH Sport 50+ Male $35.00
DH Beginner 19-29 Male $35.00
DH Beginner 30-39 Male $35.00
DH Beginner 40+ Male $35.00
DH Junior Expert Male $25.00
DH Junior Sport 18 and Under Male $25.00
DH Junior Beginner 12 and Under Male $25.00
DH Junior Beginner 13-14 Male $25.00
DH Junior Beginner 15-18 Male $25.00

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Here are some ideas at random:

Timing is very important. As is getting results and awards done quickly. Can’t emphasize quickly enough. Sometimes that is the most painful part of the day.

The prize thing is cool, but I think you’ll get more attention from riders if you offer “good” lift assisted DH riding and racing. Period. I think the mantra “If you build it, they will come.” Def fits the DH scene. Build good trails and put on good events and the stoke will come.

Back to prizes, I think the coolest prizes are those “homemade” items like Diablo’s carved wooden swords, or something made out of chainrings, heck, even a belt buckle is better than a plaque (IMO). The more creative and different from the normal plaque would be awesome, but certainly not necessary.

Payouts, like Buell said, is better if it came from sponsors, not so much entry fees.

The goodie bags/schwag bags are kinda cool, but again, its not gonna be the reason why we are racing your event. Apply those marketing costs elsewhere. Perhaps beer, food, kids race, day care? Provide space for the significant others/parents/supporters to chill with head cover/wind protection? I guess I’m saying make it easier for the racer to come out and race without worrying about the aforementioned outside factors. If they can come without having to beg/nag/cry to their family it would be a heck of a lot easier to swing it and get “approval” which will mean more people coming to your events. See what I’m saying?

Why not do a week-day series? If its close enough to Denver I think it could happen. Perhaps just for 4X/DS and/or Roostmaster? Keystone has lights, so does Echo Mtn.

As for when to put on the races….who are you trying to target? Locals? Then don’t plan it during an MSC race. Big-named pros? Don’t schedule during a major race. I think you know where I’m going with this….

FR’s don’t race, really. Or else they shouldn’t be calling themselves a FR. Yes, you’ll find them competing once in a while, but this is a series, right? My two cents.

Your idea for practice on Sat, race on Sun is fine given that the course isn’t gonna be swamped during practice. If you look at the MSC Chile Challenge schedule, you’ll see how practice is formatted. I think they are expecting a lot more riders this year, hence the 2 hr practice slots wed-fri. Normally it was 4 hr slots on Fri-Sat (Correct me if I’m wrong). Perhaps limiting the amount of riders allowed to race would keep the numbers down and raise the “prestigious-ness” of the race? From reading the British mag ‘Dirt’, sounds like a lot of their races do exactly that due to “up-lift service” and course constraints. “Register now, before the race fills up like last year!”

A DH trail we can ride that is not affected by the race/event would be nice. Something to stay loose on before the race plus it’ll provide something to do for those who race early in the day and have to wait around for results/awards.

That’s all I could think of for now! Good luck and keep us posted!

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
A big 2nd for a couple other lift accessed trails that are accessible during the race/ practice. If only we could convince some of the MSC venues that this is important...

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
I'd agree with Mike's assesment on dates. For entry fees, I agree with as low as you can go, schwag is fun, but not necessary, and prizes are good, but nothing beats a well run race, good course, and lots of fun. If all that can be managed, I think that some cool homade trophies are adaquate. (not that it isn't a tall order for good courses and all that stuff.)

MikeMac

Monkey
May 18, 2006
...and lots of stuff for all of us to consider.

Jay - we've got a few other irons in the fire for 2007 that I can tell you more about if you'd like. You can contact me at 970-333-1159. As Mike wrote, we're trying to solidify two more dates for our new gravity series, The Rocky Mountain G3. We're most likely looking at the weekend right before Crankwerx CO (last weekend in June) and one more date TBD (probably in late July/early August).

As I'm sure you'll find out the Colroado community is pretty unique in that they'll give articulate and well-intentioned feedback plus great loyalty and support. All you have to do in return is take the time to make sure that they get good organization, courses and value.

Good luck on your new series!

Jay_Reemin

Chimp
Nov 9, 2005
Thanks again everyone, this is great info that we will apply to the overall plan!

MikeMac, PM being sent.

Josh