coaster brakes?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LordOpie, Dec 26, 2007.

1. LordOpie

LordOpie MOTHER HEN

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Do they allow variable pressure like with other kinds? If so, how does modulating compare to, say, typical v-brakes?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. johnbryanpeters

Rep/Likes:
    229 / 2,296
    Yes, they modulate. It has been so many years since I rode with them that I can't compare to vees or any other modern brake.

What got you going on this?

3. LordOpie

LordOpie MOTHER HEN

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I read somewhere about an internal 3- or 7-spd hub that has a coaster brake. There's probably several.

I'm putting together -- on paper at the moment -- a great commuter/utlility bike. Something with as many components internal/protected as possible. Combine internal shifting and braking with a hebie chainglider, I think that'd be pretty good.

So you're saying they modulate, cool!

Is there such a thing that's internal geared, coaster brake -and- dyno generator?

4. LordOpie

LordOpie MOTHER HEN

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Thanks, I heard something about the Lime, but didn't look into it as I'd probably build my bike around the Surly LHT or Pugsley.

5. SuspectDevice

SuspectDevice Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 13
    Asking for the hub dyno in the rear as well is overkill. The best dyno on the market right now is the Shimano alfine-level one. If you start putting ALL of the components in the rear hub you are just asking for trouble. Expect 10-15 watts of drag with a dyno.

I've been running the Sram Inter3 hub all week, HARD and having some real fun with it. QBP just got a few into stock as well...

6. LordOpie

LordOpie MOTHER HEN

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I'd like power for taillight and headlight, so I figured, one in each wheel? Or is the Alfine good enough to power both with a charge held long enough for extended stops?

Sram Inter3... is that the one on my brain with coaster brake? I think you told me about it last week? sorry, too much eggnog, well, whiskey without the eggs anyway :)

7. DirtyMike

DirtyMike Turbo Fluffer

Rep/Likes:
    51 / 543
    IMO, A self powered taillight would work out better, specially an LED model, batteries last a long time in them anyways, as far as an internally geared coaster brake hub, there are more than acouple out there, like the sram3 nexus3 and others. I like your idea for a build, make sure to post pics if/when you do this

8. LordOpie

LordOpie MOTHER HEN

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Thanks for the feedback Mike.

as for rear light, I really like my Dinotte, but only get a couple hours from a charge.

Good to know that there are several quality options.