Quantcast

coaster brakes?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Do they allow variable pressure like with other kinds? If so, how does modulating compare to, say, typical v-brakes?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I read somewhere about an internal 3- or 7-spd hub that has a coaster brake. There's probably several.

I'm putting together -- on paper at the moment -- a great commuter/utlility bike. Something with as many components internal/protected as possible. Combine internal shifting and braking with a hebie chainglider, I think that'd be pretty good.

So you're saying they modulate, cool!

Is there such a thing that's internal geared, coaster brake -and- dyno generator?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Thanks, I heard something about the Lime, but didn't look into it as I'd probably build my bike around the Surly LHT or Pugsley.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Asking for the hub dyno in the rear as well is overkill. The best dyno on the market right now is the Shimano alfine-level one. If you start putting ALL of the components in the rear hub you are just asking for trouble. Expect 10-15 watts of drag with a dyno.

I've been running the Sram Inter3 hub all week, HARD and having some real fun with it. QBP just got a few into stock as well...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Asking for the hub dyno in the rear as well is overkill.
I'd like power for taillight and headlight, so I figured, one in each wheel? Or is the Alfine good enough to power both with a charge held long enough for extended stops?

Sram Inter3... is that the one on my brain with coaster brake? I think you told me about it last week? sorry, too much eggnog, well, whiskey without the eggs anyway :)

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I'd like power for taillight and headlight, so I figured, one in each wheel? Or is the Alfine good enough to power both with a charge held long enough for extended stops?

Sram Inter3... is that the one on my brain with coaster brake? I think you told me about it last week? sorry, too much eggnog, well, whiskey without the eggs anyway :)
IMO, A self powered taillight would work out better, specially an LED model, batteries last a long time in them anyways, as far as an internally geared coaster brake hub, there are more than acouple out there, like the sram3 nexus3 and others. I like your idea for a build, make sure to post pics if/when you do this

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Thanks for the feedback Mike.

as for rear light, I really like my Dinotte, but only get a couple hours from a charge.

Good to know that there are several quality options.