Quantcast

COD to Canada?

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
Anyone ever done this for a sale? I have a potential buyer for my Shiver who says his mom would be paying for a COD shipment to Alberta (I'm in California). I really don't know too much about this kind of shipping, since I've only done PayPal and Money Orders previously. They said no to both of those and insist on COD. Is this safe?

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
What's wrong with a money order or paypal?

I hate dealing with COD. I hate the fact that they have to get your cheque sent to you by UPS. Generally I won't take COD, but having used it for a previous business, I can say it IS generally safe.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Yeah, I always use COD.
Fedex is especially good with it.
They overnight you the check the next day.
You can also select a secure payment, so they either hand over a money order or a cashier's check.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Jeremy R said:
Yeah, I always use COD.
Fedex is especially good with it.
They overnight you the check the next day.
You can also select a secure payment, so they either hand over a money order or a cashier's check.
Didn't know fedex would do it and overnight it.

Knew UPS did the "secure" bit, but even that isn't so secure these days.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
robdamanii said:
Didn't know fedex would do it and overnight it.

Knew UPS did the "secure" bit, but even that isn't so secure these days.
Oh yeah, I know what you are talking about.
I used UPS COD one time, and they mailed it back to me using the postal service in a regular envelope.
I was already sketched out on the deal, as it was being shipped to a guy in Miami who was taking the bike to another country.
I was biting my nails for a few days for sure.
Fedex treats it just like an overnight package.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Jeremy R said:
Oh yeah, I know what you are talking about.
I used UPS COD one time, and they mailed it back to me using the postal service in a regular envelope.
I was already sketched out on the deal, as it was being shipped to a guy in Miami who was taking the bike to another country.
I was biting my nails for a few days for sure.
Fedex treats it just like an overnight package.
Hrm....I'll DEFINITELY keep that in mind next time I sell something of higher value and buyer won't/can't use other means.

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
It sounded like they had never heard of PayPal and needed it explained to them. The reasoning was that they didn't trust strictly online dealings.

So it sounds like the delivery person actually gets the $$ from the buyer before they hand over the goods? The one time I remember using this years ago they just handed me a receipt that I had to make good on later within a week or something.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
COD imo is the safest way to go. the delivery driver has to recieve payment by cashiers check/money order before handing the package over.they overnight you the cash back which is a great perk plus its cost is minimal. hell if your buying something cod and the driver is cool you can even look inside the package to see if the goods are okay...

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
Hmmm. It's still the part about the transaction being done across national borders that sketches me out. Would it be any safer to do this through a bike shop near where the buyer lives?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Yo, since I was just on here talking up Fed-EX COD, I just wanted to let you know I just got HAMMERED by them.
I just shipped off a complete bike, but I could fit it in one box, so I had to ship the wheels in another box. Anyway, using Fed Ex Express saver, my shipping total was $190. I might as well have backed in there. Either their prices went way up, or they charge you way more for two boxes. Even without the insurance it was like $178.
I was stuck too, because I promised the guy it would ship this morning. Another brilliant move by me was that I told him I would split shipping with him, because Fed-EX costs a little more, but I just told the buyer $50 ahead of time, and I would pick up the rest.
Live and learn.
Anyway, I am just posting this so you guys will not try the same thing, and send me a virus or something.
Now I gotta check out USPS COD rates. Anybody know if they have a good setup?

J

JRB

Jeremy R said:
Yo, since I was just on here talking up Fed-EX COD, I just wanted to let you know I just got HAMMERED by them.
I just shipped off a complete bike, but I could fit it in one box, so I had to ship the wheels in another box. Anyway, using Fed Ex Express saver, my shipping total was $190. I might as well have backed in there. Either their prices went way up, or they charge you way more for two boxes. Even without the insurance it was like $178.
I was stuck too, because I promised the guy it would ship this morning. Another brilliant move by me was that I told him I would split shipping with him, because Fed-EX costs a little more, but I just told the buyer $50 ahead of time, and I would pick up the rest.
Live and learn.
Anyway, I am just posting this so you guys will not try the same thing, and send me a virus or something.
Now I gotta check out USPS COD rates. Anybody know if they have a good setup?
USPS won't ship a box as large as a bike.

TSchultz

Chimp
Sep 2, 2003
S. MN
First off COD is the safest for both parties it protects the buyer against dead beat sellers, so I can understand why the mother wants to do it that way.

You are kind of screwed though because I know UPS won't do COD into Canada or across international borders unless they changed since I last tried to do it. I don't know if FedEx does it or not

Jeremy R were you shipping the bike across Int. borders, because thats the only way a bike should cost that much to ship due to customs.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
TSchultz said:
Jeremy R were you shipping the bike across Int. borders, because thats the only way a bike should cost that much to ship due to customs.
Nope, South Carolina to San Antonio.
I even made her cancel it out and refigure it again.
I have always been willing to pay a little more for Fed-EX,
but that crap was ridiculous.
No more.