Quantcast

Code 5 find......

proworkz

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
Reno, Nevada
Before purchasing my Code 5's I had read all the posts on here about if you turn your bike upside down the Code 5's will develop air in the lines. Well I had a flat tire at N Star and had to flip my bike upside down on the trail. The whole time I was thinking that my brakes where going to get air in them.... The next day at my house I realized my brakes had faded a little. Or had air trapped...:confused:

I went to N Star yesterday and I always just lay my bike down in the back of my truck. It is a 1/2 hour ride from my house to N Star... I always lay my bike down on the left side of the bars in the back of my truck. When I pulled my bike out at N Star the left brake was back to normal. The right still a little faded. So on the return trip home from N Star I laid my bike down on the right side. When I got home the right side was back to normal.

It seems if you do have air in your lines and just lay your bike down on the side for at least a 1/2 an hour it will return back to normal. I am not sure if this will work for everyone. But it worked for me....:thumb:

giffels

Chimp
Nov 4, 2007
That is just some air in the lever body itself, pumping the brakes also gets them back to normal, for some reason almost all avids come with air in the lever just have them bled at a shop and you will be set

Delimeat

Monkey
Feb 3, 2009
Canada
I'm not so sure, although something is happening. I don't see how air would get in just because the bike is upside down. If air gets in wouldn't that mean that fluid could/would come out?

The factory Avid bleeds are impressive for they're suck level.

My semi-related Avid question would be why the bite point moves in when the bike is left to sit for a short while. I am positive there is no air in the system. In all 4-5 Avid brake sets I've owned over the years this happens, as well as anyone who I ride with that uses Avids. It is fixed by dialing the bite point all the way in, pumping the lever and then dialing it back out. Then they are back to normal.

not to thread hijack but what the heck is happening?

proworkz

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
Reno, Nevada
I am by no means an expert with the Codes. I am just reporting what I have found worked after the brakes seemed to have "air" in the lines..... The brakes work excellent the 4 time I have used them. I just noticed them fading after the bike was upside down....... But I agree with that if air can get in the fluid should be able to get out....