Quantcast

Codes VS Saints

El Diablo

Chimp
Dec 10, 2006
Japan
I have Hayes Mags on my Faith now but I am looking to upgrade. I do DH/FR on a Giant Faith and weigh 165kg. I don`t need the strongest but I want the most dependable and maitenence free set I can find. Which do you guys reccomend?

phlegm

Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
Whistler/Vancouver
Codes are definitely more powerful. I think that's pretty much a given, though. They modulate well, and are burly as anything. That said they are heavy, and you don't even have to weigh them to figure that out. Servicing is easy but there are lots of small parts and they come in kits. So if you need one small piece, you get a bunch of other small bits with it and you pay for them.

Saints are great... nice power, decent modulation and easily serviced. Unfortunately there's not really any service parts available so most things must be replaced in chunks, ie. calipers. You can take them apart and clean them and I would not be surprised to see other brake parts work with them. Only issue would be mineral oil causing swelling with some rubbers.

Serviceability I would say the Codes would be more labor intensive, but brakes are brakes and they're all pretty simple.

If you can buck up the dough and you want no compromises in power, strength and modulation, grab some codes.

Saints are a good choice too, and I've been riding them primarily for a few seasons. You can't go wrong with them and I've never encountered a situation they couldn't save me from.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Actually, if you weigh 165kg, I'd say you need some motorcycle brakes and a parachute...

On the otherhand, if you weigh 165 lbs, I'd say go with the Saints as they are plenty strong and very reliable...As mentioned above, I'm not sure if there's been much wide spread ride time on the Codes yet...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I ride/race the saints. they are more than adequate. i weight 195 lbs, more with gear. I wouldn't worry about replacement parts; they work with other levers, all the line fittings/parts are shimano standardized. And I wouldn't be surprised if the master cyclinders and brake pads are the same as some other shimano models.

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England
mags are very good brakes, probably better than saints depending on how you like your lever to feel, unless there broken or just dead and worn out then stick with them and maby wait for the codes if you realy want the extra power.