Quantcast

Coffee for a n00b

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
From my work helping refugee families I've been invited home to a couple of Ethiopian coffee ceremonies..... Totally awesome experience!!! If you ever have the chance DO IT!

The Gagia looks nice, don't see them very often down here so haven't heard too much about them.
I'm more a fan of the Wega & La San Marco, I've an old La San Marco 95 2 group sitting behind my desk at work as my personal machine, love it to bits! 15 years old and still banging out perfect shots.
These 2 manufacturers are the Rolls Royce industry standard for cafes.
Bombproof reliability, simple to clean and maintain, good ergonomics & ease of use.

Also don't run the auto feature..... do the shots manually.
Auto is lazy and invariably gets it wrong.
Your grind will change as temperature, humidity and the level of beans in the hopper change.
That changes how the water flows thru the grind in the basket, the auto feature won't adjust for this, it'll be a "Roughly in the ball park" timer.
For most roasters the roast is optimized for a 40ml shot in 25 seconds (plus or minus 5 is okish), some like the crowd I work with (peoples coffee) have their flagship blend optimized for a 35 second pour (but this is rare, like maybe 10% of roasteries do this).
The quicker the shot the thinner it will be, slow shots may get a bit more of a burnt taste (ALWAYS purge the head before you put the handle in!)
At the start of a shift (and a few times mid shift) cafes need to calibrate their machine to this so the coffee is consistent though out the day.
I like to use a shotglass when I do it as I can watch the colour at the same time, the colour of the shot is a great indicator of how good it is.
The blacker/darker it is the better this is all the tasty part, the more light and milky by the end the more bitterness you will get.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
lol. You really should visit Kaladi Bros - it has been a few years, but FUCK do they pull a tasty shot. Besides - isn't the kare pan place right next door??

Oh - and where is the Thai place you go on Colorado? Meeting the wife for lunch around Colorado/I-25 one of these days and am gonna take her there.
Kare pan place is on Pearl St, just south of 25. Tokyo Premium Bakery.

Thai joint is Thai Pot Cafe. Colorado, mile north of the crotch at Colorado/25. Get it at least Thai medium.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Equipment nerd speculation question: How important is pre-infusion? How important is a PID controller?

Context:

which would be added to a Classic Pro. Unnecessary? It also seems to add a timer, sort of taking it closer to the Breville approach…

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Many things I would like to try:

Lots of local roasters! There are benefits to living in a city with lots of hipsters, apparently. But first I will try a few shots of espresso at local places, and drink through my Amazon sourced coffees via French press.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Equipment nerd speculation question: How important is pre-infusion? How important is a PID controller?

Context:

which would be added to a Classic Pro. Unnecessary? It also seems to add a timer, sort of taking it closer to the Breville approach…
the point about preheating is (supposedly) valid. in looking at the forums for my presso that's a common recommendation, especially since it doesn't have a built in boiler.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Went to Kaladi. Did not enjoy the experience much.

First, they made me feel stupid when ordering. I asked for a double shot of espresso and then they were all “in what cup?” I ummed and ahhed until one of them was all “oh, he just wants a doppio”—isn’t that the same as what I ordered? But maybe I was unclear. I also asked for dealer’s choice on what beans but maybe they only do a house blend? Who knows. I felt dumb in any case.

Then it was made and I drank it... and it was very bitter. More than pour over and way more than French press. Bad pull, too long? It’s not supposed to be like this, no?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Espresso is typically bitter compared to normal brewed coffee. I think it's the way it's made, and the fact that's it's just so concentrated.

Have you tried the simple route yet?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I asked for a double shot of espresso and then they were all “in what cup?” I ummed and ahhed until one of them was all “oh, he just wants a doppio”—isn’t that the same as what I ordered?
google says its in the style of portafilter used.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Then it was made and I drank it... and it was very bitter. More than pour over and way more than French press. Bad pull, too long? It’s not supposed to be like this, no?
in general yes, espresso is a more bitter drink than drip or steep coffee. but there is a thing as being too bitter, and that generally occurs with too long of a pull.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Espresso is typically bitter compared to normal brewed coffee. I think it's the way it's made, and the fact that's it's just so concentrated.

Have you tried the simple route yet?
For several days I’ve been drinking about 20 oz of coffee from the French press. ~40 g fresh grounds. Very little bitterness, nice oils floating on the top.

in general yes, espresso is a more bitter drink than drip or steep coffee. but there is a thing as being too bitter, and that generally occurs with too long of a pull.
Huh. I’ll ask for a ristretto pull when I try the local Ethiopian place, possibly tomorrow morning.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Went to Kaladi. Did not enjoy the experience much.

First, they made me feel stupid when ordering. I asked for a double shot of espresso and then they were all “in what cup?” I ummed and ahhed until one of them was all “oh, he just wants a doppio”—isn’t that the same as what I ordered? But maybe I was unclear. I also asked for dealer’s choice on what beans but maybe they only do a house blend? Who knows. I felt dumb in any case.
Did you call them out for being pretentious twats? Because you should have...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Sipping a ristretto at my local Ethiopian coffee shop. (The high school looking dude behind the counter didn’t know what that was so I told him to pull a double and stop it 5 seconds earlier than he would normally.)

Very much less bitter than the standard doppio espresso from the other joint. Still a bit bitter akin to pour over but the feel is smooth and thick unlike that watery stuff.

All the coffee bags for sale on the wall just say “Ethiopia” on them—one option and that’s it. I’ll still grab a bag in a week after my Amazon peaberry bag is used and give them a try.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

I ate lunch so am in a feeding window so adulterated my French press coffee with fats. Butter, cream, and coconut oil alike.

It tastes like coffee with fats! Who would have thought it to be so? I think it’s fine.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
It has a nice, smooth mouthfeel. Kinda like sucking on a stick of butter, in fact