Quantcast

Coffee for a n00b

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Today I did a coffee experiment! Or at least a coffee temperature experiment.

Brew was with 200 F or so just off boil (at a mile elevation) water. By the time the 4 minute French press process was done then it was about 160 F per my ThermaPen, uncomfortably hot.

I waited a few minutes while stirring with it in my Hydro Flask double wall coffee much and it dropped maybe 1 F. That cup really is great if one wants things to stay hot. I’d put 175 F or so hot water in the mug about 6 minutes beforehand, for the record, transferring said water to then pre-heat the French press, then into the already-heating kettle, so the inner wall was already somewhat warm.

So I transferred the coffee into a ceramic mug, the mug starting at ambient room temperature. Immediately the coffee transferred its energy into the mug, rendering a hot to the touch mug and now 140 F coffee, about right to drink. But then over a minute or two more it dropped to 130 F, now feeling just lukewarm.

So ideally I’d pour into the ceramic mug, let the thermal mass effect of heating up the ceramic itself cool it rapidly to 140 F, then very quickly transfer back to the Hydro Flask.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
So ideally I’d pour into the ceramic mug, let the thermal mass effect of heating up the ceramic itself cool it rapidly to 140 F, then very quickly transfer back to the Hydro Flask.
Sipping a cup via this method. Did 2.5 minutes in the ceramic. 2 may be better yet.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Just made myself 22 oz of coffee, adulterated with butter, coconut oil (not on a fast so not worrying about bumping from ketosis—if so I’d have used MCT oil), and… beef bone broth.

This could be good. This could be disgusting. Here goes!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Just made myself 22 oz of coffee, adulterated with butter, coconut oil (not on a fast so not worrying about bumping from ketosis—if so I’d have used MCT oil), and… beef bone broth.

This could be good. This could be disgusting. Here goes!

You should embrace your Asian heritage and go with a nice fish broth, or go for something more seasonal and adulterate with a nice turkey gravy.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
You should embrace your Asian heritage and go with a nice fish broth, or go for something more seasonal and adulterate with a nice turkey gravy.
Toss a little sashimi in that bitch. What could go wrong?!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Toss a little sashimi in that bitch. What could go wrong?!
Couldn't be worst than pumpkin spice
I prefer fish sauce and Sri racha in my French Roast.
I made my Hydro Flask of coffee for tomorrow tonight. (It should still be hot.)

MCT oil in it. But in light of the above I also tossed in two high EPA/DHA fish oil capsules, assuming they’ll dissolve in the heat.

We shall see if this turns out to be a fishy tasting mistake.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

MCT oil in it. But in light of the above I also tossed in two high EPA/DHA fish oil capsules, assuming they’ll dissolve in the heat.

I think it depends on how heavily processed it is. Is there some kind of emulsifier in the concoction or are you going to have an oil slick on top of your poop juice?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
My breath is acetone anyway.

Will have a sheen of fat. Shake before drinking.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

why not just soak a whole fish in coffee?