Quantcast

Coffee for a n00b

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Cheap Capresso burr grinder, aeropress each for me and the esposa, electric kettle, Peet's beans. Done, for me.

(Although the sheer amount of coffee consumed by the aeropress is costing me a fuckton, I haven't found a better way.)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Cheap Capresso burr grinder, aeropress each for me and the esposa, electric kettle, Peet's beans. Done, for me.

(Although the sheer amount of coffee consumed by the aeropress is costing me a fuckton, I haven't found a better way.)
how much are you putting in the aeropress?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
About two rounded scoops. I put the plunger at the middle of the bottom dot and put coffee till it's just over the top of the next one up. (Inverted...)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The most surprising thing of this year probably is that Jon is the one that got the oontzy espresso machine, whereas I sat on my hands and am still getting by with my mere French press.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Bumpity bumpity. Hear ye hear ye all coffee nerds.

I am heeding the calling, because I find that coffee smells delicious, and it makes me poop, both of which are delightful. I am a big tea drinker, but haven't made the leap into the black stuff.

I won't be making it every day, and will probably only be making it for myself. Excess coffee will be turned into iced-coffee, so excess within reason is okay by me. No desire to get another appliance or two, so pour over and hand grinder are preferred. I ordered an 8-cup Chemex, but am waffling on whether a 6 would be better suited, or if it really doesn't matter.

Suggest to me a hand grinder. Or a more appropriate coffee making vessel, if applicable.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I found pourover to be bitter, but French press not to be so. So I'd try it both ways. French presses are cheap, plus no filters to futz about with anyway.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
budget?

also, when it comes to coffee how much are you realistically going to drink?
Let's call budget $100 +/- $25ish. I like stylish things that perform well and are not disposable items. I had my eye on this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VNQYJDG/?coliid=I15CPEMYBCNEIO&colid=OA3AIUDNS0AU&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Realistically, let's call it a cup or two (12 oz cups that is) during quarantine WFH. Once I'm back to working in the office, it'll probably just be a cup or two per day on the weekends. Maybe sprinkle in some iced coffee in there to mix it up, but output shouldn't vary greatly from that schedule.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Let's call budget $100 +/- $25ish. I like stylish things that perform well and are not disposable items. I had my eye on this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VNQYJDG/?coliid=I15CPEMYBCNEIO&colid=OA3AIUDNS0AU&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Realistically, let's call it a cup or two (12 oz cups that is) during quarantine WFH. Once I'm back to working in the office, it'll probably just be a cup or two per day on the weekends. Maybe sprinkle in some iced coffee in there to mix it up, but output shouldn't vary greatly from that schedule.
I'd suggest a Commandante but it's like $250 and I have no experience.

Also, aeropress