Quantcast

Coffee for a n00b

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Huh, ok. I'll try it straight but will definitely dick around with adding butter or coconut/MCT oil, too, if that lines up with fasting/non-fasting periods of time. I shall avoid sugar at all costs.

So @Pesqueeb has a whole duplicate coffee making setup at work. The rest of you just do drip coffee from a work machine, bring in your own homebrew in a thermos, go without after the morning, what? Given that for the foreseeable future I don't see myself eating or drinking anything with calories before about 10 AM on most every day this is a pressing question.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Oh no.....I drink coffee like a 13 year old girl. Varying degrees of milk, our trip to Yurp got me to cut back significantly on milk, but every drink I make gets a big, single spoonful of teh beetus.
see, i prefer my espresso straight and don't like lattes/cappuccinos, but i do like a cortado.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So @Pesqueeb has a whole duplicate coffee making setup at work. The rest of you just do drip coffee from a work machine, bring in your own homebrew in a thermos, go without after the morning, what? Given that for the foreseeable future I don't see myself eating or drinking anything with calories before about 10 AM on most every day this is a pressing question.
home:

presso, single cup drip maker, various french presses. burr grinder (electric)

work:
aeropress, burr grinder (manual)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i used to have a coffee siphon, it made a great - and i mean GREAT - cup of coffee, but i almost never used it because of the amount of effort it required.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Step 1: get the Aeropress
Step 2: get some ground Bustelo in the grocery store
Step 3: drink the shit. Figure out how dense / diabeetical you like it. Get some fancier ground espresso beans if you desire.

After a few weeks, you'll be in a much better position to decide how you want to spend your $ on your new found addiction.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Step 1: get the Aeropress
Step 2: get some ground Bustelo in the grocery store
Step 3: drink the shit. Figure out how dense / diabeetical you like it. Get some fancier ground espresso beans if you desire.

After a few weeks, you'll be in a much better position to decide how you want to spend your $ on your new found addiction.
Already have a burr grinder (2 actually! but one is to be returned) en route. I'm going to start simple with a Hario V60 but with beans that I grind, and work up from there.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I have an aeropress and drip at home, as well as a cold brew setup gifted from stoney. The drip or press get used everyday based on how much coffee I'm making.

:disgust1: For the benefit of the n00b(s) here, grinding fresh really makes a big difference. Like I said earlier, it's a balance between fussiness and convenience, but personally I'd rather brew fresh ground in an auto drip than press pre-ground.
Kinda. Hilarie uses coffee from local vendor A, which we grind and prepare in an auto drip, I drifted into my method from not liking her selection and from preparing coffee on the road during various journeys. I probably ought to buy a hand operated grinder...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I love coffee and have tried all the different ways of making it. You can control how certain flavors come out but at the end of the day it is all subjective, what is different isn't always better, with a few exceptions.

-Buy decent but not crazy expensive beans.
- Grind them yourself, it doesn't fucking matter how.
- Brew with whatever, just nothing that heats the carafe
-poop

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Thoughts after the first full 2.5 cup equivalents or so:

- slightly bitter taste, kind of like beer, but not overpowering
- I like the smooth mouth feel part
- really nasty when the cup goes cold
- fresh grounds smell good
- caffeine makes it worth it (and the health benefits!)

So I’m supposed to run some Grindz cleaner fake beans through once or twice per months? Otherwise don’t touch the burrs?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
FTS. I will occasionally use the compressor to "clean" the grinder, but that happens like once a year. Maybe.
Eh, it’s cheap and easy enough that I think I will be a good boy and do this. No rancid oil residue for me, please!

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
So I’m supposed to run some Grindz cleaner fake beans through once or twice per months? Otherwise don’t touch the burrs?
Eh.....I take ours apart and brush it out real good with a nylon brush every new bag of beans, works out to once a week-ish. That's about it. It doesn't need to be surgery clean.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Or, you have the attention span of a goldfish.

:D
But it’s not that simple as I have long running topics about which I perseverate, too. (And am good in several domains that require years of focused study, namely music, science, and medicine.)

I just want the world to speed up a bit in general.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Tomorrow morning's experiment shall be the French press:

Encore shall be set to 28 if I remember (at 25 now, was at 15 for the Hario):

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Tomorrow morning's experiment shall be the French press:

Encore shall be set to 28 if I remember (at 25 now, was at 15 for the Hario):

Lol. I grind at '9' for our regular drip coffee... :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I seem to be rather tolerant to caffeine and not very dependent on it. My 23 And Me analysis says I process it quickly, whatever. The ability of a beverage to schedule dumps is priceless.