Quantcast

Coffee for a n00b

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Yeah, but I could just throw random shit in there while I was using it for work, if I had one.
Unless you brew with purely titanium parts you'd probably melt all your shit in there.

I am sipping on a travel mug filled with this morning's French press experiment. Water amount was very approximate as it turns out our French press is a 34 oz Bodum. Made about 20 oz using about 40 grams of grounds, ground at setting 28 since I'm not a heathen and pay attention to Baratza's recommendations.

I followed the instructions in the link I posted yesterday, including the half pour, 30 seconds, stir it up to get rid of the floating crap on top, pour rest, 4 minutes on timer, pour all out immediately at that pour.

I like it better than the pour over. Not much bitterness. More hefty feeling.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Is this just a fancy word for "kill the shit that'll give you a fever"?
No, dead bacteria can still leave behind toxins and the remaining dead cell structure can trigger an immune response and anaphylactic shock. Depyrogenation breaks those structures down, I think it is also the only way of "killing" prions.

We had to run all of our vials through a depyrogenation oven when I was making IV pharmaceuticals.

That oven was a pain in the ass.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I use a 500 ml Bodum, maybe 30 g of coffee, water heated until I can just hear it, pour in all the water, wait roughly four minutes, pour as much as I want, consume it, pour again. Not averse to sludge.
That doesn’t sound nearly complex enough

:D

These guys have the right idea, on the other hand. From a physics perspective and seeing the last beans “popcorn” bounce in the grinder keeping the hopper at least partly full makes sense to me.

I ordered a vacuum sealed supposedly CO2 releasing container for storing beans just now. Coffee Gator. I’ll also be trying out another bag of coffee in a few days, this latter one a peaberry. After this next bag (the last of two from Amazon) I’ll give our local roaster a shot, as it were.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I would very much like to try this:

Would have to bring this to work in a vacuum flask and drink once I’ve broken my daily fast.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Espresso people: Which machine do you run and why? Bonus points for explaining whether a double boiler even would be relevant at all for us Colorado types with a 203F boiling point. Based off of recommendations from another forum from a roaster I'm eyeing the Gaggia Classic Pro. I'd like to try ristretto.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Espresso people: Which machine do you run and why? Bonus points for explaining whether a double boiler even would be relevant at all for us Colorado types with a 203F boiling point. Based off of recommendations from another forum from a roaster I'm eyeing the Gaggia Classic Pro. I'd like to try ristretto.
Dibs on this chi-chi machine when @Toshi loses interest in coffee!!

I'm only gonna give you $.10 on the dollar, though - fair warning.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Dibs on this chi-chi machine when @Toshi loses interest in coffee!!

I'm only gonna give you $.10 on the dollar, though - fair warning.

I'd keep it around because its stainless steel would look nice on the counter... and because my parents would use it, plus making hot chocolate, er Italian chocolate, all fancy-like for the kids.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have a Presso. It's a manual machine; and requires me to boil water separately. Since I've bought mine the company has changed names and now goes by Rok, and the maker has been redesigned to achieve higher pressure (the original design I have is more difficult to consistently hit the 9 bars of pressure for a "true" espresso shot, thankfully they make a retrofit kit to give the old version the higher/more consistent pressure of the new design - mine has been ordered and is en route). There is definitely a higher learning curve with a manual press, and a few extra steps. On the other hand, the Presso/Rok retails for about $150 and will make espresso on par with machines several times as expensive.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Srsly, though... you should *really* find out if you even like espresso before all this.

Drop by Kaladi Bros - they pull a REALLY good shot. Bonus is you can get some fresh-roasted beans while you're there. They have TASTY beans...
Ok, ok. I'll try the local Ethiopian roaster that's actually close to me as well.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Ok, ok. I'll try the local Ethiopian roaster that's actually close to me as well.
Yeah - also keep in mind that you gotta find a place that pulls nice, strong, smooth, tasty shots. Which can be a bit of a crapshoot. And being a neophyte, you may not even be able to tell. Follow your tastebuds - if you like it, maybe you go that route...

If you don't, don't fucking buy a $1000 espresso machine to make fucking hot chocolate. :mad: :homer:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That Gaggia Classic Pro is only $450! That’s approaching the worth of my time to go down to E Evans Ave

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
That Gaggia Classic Pro is only $450! That’s approaching the worth of my time to go down to E Evans Ave

lol. You really should visit Kaladi Bros - it has been a few years, but FUCK do they pull a tasty shot. Besides - isn't the kare pan place right next door??

Oh - and where is the Thai place you go on Colorado? Meeting the wife for lunch around Colorado/I-25 one of these days and am gonna take her there.