Quantcast

Coffee for a n00b

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I'd suggest a Commandante but it's like $250 and I have no experience.

Also, aeropress
Well that's sure as shit a serious grinder.

Also, kind of ironic that you can make a fabulous cup of coffee with a super expensive grinder and cheap vessel, but probably not the other way around.

What is so good about the aeropress vs. say, a French press? Cause I did read about health impacts of drinking too much French press, but that seems to be an in excess of 30 oz per day kind of stipulation.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
What is so good about the aeropress vs. say, a French press? Cause I did read about health impacts of drinking too much French press, but that seems to be an in excess of 30 oz per day kind of stipulation.
Aeropress is a cheap man's espresso. Boiling water is in contact with coffee grinds only for a few seconds. The coffee has very low acidity as a result, unlike French press coffee.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Don't be cheap and it tastes just fine. :D
Seriously, my Aeropress coffee is anything but weak. I do let it sit for a minute or so after stirring and before pressing, and as noted use a shitload of coffee.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Well that's sure as shit a serious grinder.

Also, kind of ironic that you can make a fabulous cup of coffee with a super expensive grinder and cheap vessel, but probably not the other way around.

a consistent grind will produce more consistent flavors.

aeropress has a paper filter in it, french press doesn't. i've heard that the paper filter helps absorb some oils from the extraction that may not be the healthiest for you, but nothing scientific (not that i really researched it myself).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Aeropress is a cheap man's espresso. Boiling water is in contact with coffee grinds only for a few seconds. The coffee has very low acidity as a result, unlike French press coffee.
its not espresso. sure, its primarily a pressure brew method, as opposed to drip or steep, but you can't get enough pressure from an aeropress to create actual espresso.

you don't want to use boiling water, you want water just below boiling. boiling water causes it to extract too much too quickly and will result in excessively bitter coffee. this holds true for any coffee making method.

there's also a method of using the aeropress called inverted, where you let it steep first before pushing the coffee through.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
You are such a giver.
This reminds me of a hilarious story.

Friend of mine apparently woke up to a BJ after a blackout night....only to open his eyes and find it was a dude. Said he panicked and pretended to remain asleep so as to avoid an awkward situation, and tried to convince us he wasn't gay or bi.

NTTAWWT.....

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

Friend of mine apparently woke up to a BJ after a blackout night....only to open his eyes and find it was a dude. Said he panicked and pretended to remain asleep so as to avoid an awkward situation, and tried to convince us he wasn't gay or bi.

NTTAWWT.....
A holes a hole, amirite?

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth

NTTAWWT.....
That's almost as bad as waking up from a bad acid trip to a naked 400 pound tatted Hells Angel Female trying to go to town on you..Things you can't unsee... btdt

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

NTTAWWT.....
back in college a buddy was getting a BJ by a drunk chick, and i mean real drunk. drunk enough she puked all over him, but then proceeded to continue. without cleaning up. :twitch:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Wife got me some light roasted Columbian beans.

I do not care for light roasted. Still drinking it but it is weird.

Gopedguy

Chimp
Jul 23, 2020
I think I’ll start drinking coffee, for health benefits. I’ve probably tasted it twice in my 37 year life.

Hive mind, tell me how to do it right: what kinds of beans, grinding at home, French press? Or otherwise, etc.
Just get starbucks