Quantcast

Coffee kicks ass.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
My wife once tried to tell me I should stop drinking coffee. Then we laughed.

Ahhh...coffee.

It's the one thing that keeps me from stabbing everyone in this office.

:D :love:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The coffee in this office is a freakin watered down nasty joke, it makes me want to stab people. There have been a few times I've driven home to brew up a nice strong pot at home. My current bean is a nice Kona blend.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Westy said:
The coffee in this office is a freakin watered down nasty joke, it makes me want to stab people. There have been a few times I've driven home to brew up a nice strong pot at home. My current bean is a nice Kona blend.
We have Peet's coffee and a Bunn restaurant style coffe maker that will brew a full pot in less than 2 minutes.

At home: Italian roast New Guinea from Royal coffee in Oakland.

Royal Coffee > all others.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Westy said:
Our office coffee is Folgers. :blah: :help:
You lose. :)

I bring my own to work. I got in the habit at my last office where my choices were Star-yucks or the sludge made by the squids down the hall.

Racer-X

Monkey
Oct 16, 2004
SNOWSHOE
coffee is probably my second love in life,next to bikes of course. girls fit in there somewhere as well.

i'm only 18 and i've probably been drinking coffee regularly for about 2 years,having worked in a few coffee shops in my day so far. how dangerous is it for your health actually? i've been kind of scared after reading a few things about cancers and such and never really knew what kind of REAL danger is posed to me.

any ideas?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Here's a question: I noticed some "good blends" of coffee taste too harsh for my palate. Is it simply a matter of taste, or am I a coffee wussy?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
sanjuro said:
Here's a question: I noticed some "good blends" of coffee taste too harsh for my palate. Is it simply a matter of taste, or am I a coffee wussy?
Nope. Good coffee, IMO, is not harsh. Good coffee can be really strong and really smooth at the same time. And should be. If you want to know what good coffee tastes like, take a trip to Italy and drink espresso everywhere you go.

Strong and ohhhhh so smooooove. :thumb:

-S.S.-

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The coffee in my office is weak and bitter. I still drink 2 or 3 cups a day, and that's after having a cup of good stuff before I leave the house.

Yeah I'm addicted to the go-go hot roasted bean juice. But as vices go, coffee's not that bad.

What's up H8R, were you drinking decaf that week you had the warm and fuzzy avatar?

Oops my cup is empty, gotta go... :eek:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
My one trick on avoiding caffeine addiction is not to drink when I am not working. I might have one in the morning, and I avoid the afternoon refill when possible.

The only problem with this plan is unless I am riding, I usually take 2 naps on days without coffee.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Coffee. mmm soo good. I got a little out of control last year during finals. I drank so much coffe studing senior year economics that I got stomach cramps and couldn't eat for a few days. Now that I'm an office Monkey I try to stick to one cup, but it's tuff. Some days I feel like screaming and then I get a nice fresh cup of coffee and can get back to office work.

Grinding your own beans is a must. Oh, and use a French Press at work.

My girlfriend has band coffe, she says it to bad for you. She's switched to Mate (tea). I kinda feel bad for her when I make a nice strong brew in the morning.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
sanjuro said:
The only problem with this plan is unless I am riding, I usually take 2 naps on days without coffee.
HAHA me too. I can't get anything done if I don't have a cup in the morning. It's a sure sign of addiction. Actually it has something to do with your body not naturally producing a certain hormon which acts as a wake up for your body.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Acadian said:
Don't settle for anything less...
Acadian, (I think I tried to sell you on this before..) you need to go to Royal Coffee in Oakland next time you're in the East Bay.

College Ave and 63rd, 1 block N of Claremont.

(NOT Royal Coffee Roasters - Different company)

They are what Peet's used to be in the 80's. Nothing else comes close, and I've had coffee from here to Hungary.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
sanjuro said:
Depends on how it's brewed. Sometimes using not enough coffee leaches out all the harsh bitterness.

Get a mellow roast of something good and brew it with plenty of grounds and boiling water. You'll notice the difference.

Or you're just a coffee wussy, drink it like a man - black, and out of an old shoe.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
OGRipper said:
What's up H8R, were you drinking decaf that week you had the warm and fuzzy avatar?
I'm going to have to ask you to retract that question.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
H8R said:
I'm going to have to ask you to retract that question.
:eviltongu :blah:

But yeah, the best coffee tastes like swill if it's not brewed right. Lots of commercial coffee tastes burnt because the water is too hot, or it's been sitting too long after brewed. Personally I like my coffee like certain other things: Strong, black and bitter. If it's crap or old I might put a little sugar in it, just to edge the edge off.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Westy said:
At least you have that. They buy us the generic "coffee" from Smart And Final. Blech! :blah:

I have to bring my own in a thermos. The one time I brought in good coffee (some nice kona) for these cretins they dumped sugar in it and flavored creamers! Arrrgghh! Coffee blasphemy!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
DRB said:
What is it with squids and their coffee? If it ain't leaving a paint-like coating on mugs they think its weak.
The inside of the mug should be partially dissolved and chalky.

:blah:

L

Lightninleana

Westy said:
Haha... So I work at a Starbucks and I had a lady come in one time and ask for Folgers. I was like um, are you kidding?
Sorry kinda random but I thought it was the funniest thing ever.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Jamaica Blue Mountain isn't worth the price.

Anyways, if you're really interested in different bean types, or especially espresso, check out coffeegeek.com

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
our latest score from sweet maria's.
(we roast our own)
Kenya AA Auction Lot - Mbwinjeru -2 lbs
Panama Carmen Estate 1700-1800 m -2 lbs
Mexico Chiapas -Udepom Co-op -2 lbs

we just finished some Tanzanian Songea & some Colombian & both were the bomb ass diggity. :thumb:
coffee rules.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
I loooovvve my coffee....have since I was a kid (drugs and alcohol were out, as were random outings with friends, coffee I could legally buy and mom didn't frown on when I was 13 - being in the PNW, starbucks, Tully's, and Seattle's best were always local hangs)...

Recently, since I've been told I've got all those acid reflux issues, and am apparently at risk of ulcers...my doc has told me to cool it on the coffee...sigh...depressing - but I love my 12oz mug of hot goodness, and the smell and sound of it perc-ing in the morning makes me wake up :)....

I'll cool it on the hot stuff (peppers, spicy sausage) and start the pepcid ****...but I love my coffee - even if the result is gut rot every few days...

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
H8R said:
Ahhh...coffee.
I'm the one in charge of coffee for the lab.
We're all about Porto Rico imprters here.
http://www.portorico.com/
New York company that's been around for almost 100 years - and they roast in Brooklyn. :thumb:

Anyway, today we have a city roasted Costa Rican bean in the Mill & Brew.
I typically prefer french roast, but I've got to cater top the groups taste's every once in a while.

Oh, and H8, that's not a knife - this is a knife...
http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=60
More "slashy" than "stabby" though.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
yes.. coffee is a great way to start the day and replenish as necessary. When i went to Costa rica I fell in love with their coffee... Now I have it shipped to me by the case... yummie!!!!!