Quantcast

Coffee...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Qman said:
Say what you want about SBUX but their stock has been great and they have quite a following in their stores. Store #1 is filled with tourons this time of year so I don't think the novelty is wearing off anytime soon.
This is all true. But it doesn't really change the fact that Starbuck's coffee sucks. :p

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
RenegadeRick said:
As I hear it, for a french press you want to avoid a grinder with a blade, which is what I have.

NE1 got a suggestion for a "real" grinder?
For French Press only, the cadillac would be a Ranchilo Rocky doserless. That's expensive though, you'd probably want to look at a Solis, unless you're thinking about getting into espresso.

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
Roast your own. It's cheaper and better than buying coffee from most places, even the boutique shops and you'll start developing a much better sense of what kinds of beans and roasts you truly like.

FWIW, almost every starbucks bean I've had has been over-roasted. The worst cup of coffee I've had in my entire life was from Peets.

IMO, French roasts are way too much for most beans and result in a flat, smokey cup of coffee that won't taste good until you load it with cream and sugar. Also IMO, most coffee's I have roasted thus far, taste best at a full city roast, which is well below a french roast. The nuances in the flavor are much more enjoyable and, unlike a french roast, still detectable.

YMMV, but I use 25g of medium/coarsely ground beans in my small french press and I get a cup of coffee that is so black that you can't see the spoon more than 1mm below the surface of the liquid. It's a great, strong, dark cup with TONS of flavor nuance that you're never going to get out of a super dark roast.

Give home roasting a shot, odds are, you'll get something out of it.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Silver said:
For French Press only, the cadillac would be a Rancillio Rocky doserless.
i've got one of these. nice, burly machine (though some people complain about stepped grind adjustment limiting fine tuning - i'm not quite *that* anal). a decent burr grinder is a worthwhile invesment - buy a good one & it'll grind consistantly for many years.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
xy9ine said:
i've got one of these. nice, burly machine (though some people complain about stepped grind adjustment limiting fine tuning - i'm not quite *that* anal). a decent burr grinder is a worthwhile invesment - buy a good one & it'll grind consistantly for many years.
I managed to get a Mazzer Mini a couple of years ago while they were still 299.

The doser is a pain for French Press, but I'm 99% espresso anyways...

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
narlus said:
stay away from pre-ground coffee.

buy beans and a grinder, keep yr beans in an air-tight container.

these simple changes will get your coffee tasting much better, but definitely get some beans you like too. sounds like a french roast is what you are after, or perhaps something a bit less dark.

Yep get a grinder..... but DON"T get one of those ones with the stainless steel blades, they are crap. Get a burr grinder (perferably conical) for a reliable even grind, generally better build quality too. :thumb:

Keep the beans in an airtight container out of the sun but NEVER in the fridge or frezzer as this causes humidity problems whith destroy the flavour and nose of the coffee.

As far as what beans to get? experiment buy a different blend every week and see what's out there. Have a hunt around for a local coffee company who roast their own beans.... You will get fresher stuff from people who are more likely to care about their coffee than an employee of a big corperate.

My personal fave at the moment is Timor Leste from a local Micro roastery The Peoples coffee :love:

A quick break down of some coffee bean types for you....remembering that a different roasting will change the flavors a fair bit.
ETHIOPIAN YIRGACHEFFE A much loved single origin coffee. Muskat grape, with floral fruit flavours, beautifully caramely with a dash of full cream milk. High caffeine. Tip top.

MEXICAN CHIAPAS Full-bodied with a pleasant acidity. This origin has a nutty character finishing with warm chocolate overtones. Lovely.

SUMATRAN GAYOLAND A gorgeous low acidity origin with good complex flavours. Smooth earthy tones with cocoey finish.

NICARAGUAN SERGOVIA Medium body with clean light acidity and distinctive butterty tones of molasses.

TIMOR LESTE
Classic legendary Indonesian qualitites. A solid, bold, knock you down with spice cup of coffee.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Silver said:
I managed to get a Mazzer Mini a couple of years ago while they were still 299.

The doser is a pain for French Press, but I'm 99% espresso anyways...
the mazzer is a hot machine. that's a great price too. i'm an espresso ho as well. i love the ritual of preparation (and the neat hardware that goes with it). the tasty stimulating beverage is a bonus. here's my gear (pavoni euro):

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
That's cool! I've never used a lever machine before. I'm surprised at how big the Rocky is.

edit: I also can't believe how clean all your stuff is. I can never keep my machine that shiny. Very nice!

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
xy9ine said:
DROOOL!

I have a very serious coffee habit. It is bad enough that I have to grind coffee before I leave for races in the morning and brew up some of the good stuff in my french press at the race venue with a camp stove.

Lighter roasts contain more caffeine, and are generally better. There is a bit of masochim about in the coffee scene where people think they are more hardcore the darker their roast is. What's the point, less sublteties in the flavor and less caffeine.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
SuspectDevice said:
Lighter roasts contain more caffeine, and are generally better. There is a bit of masochim about in the coffee scene where people think they are more hardcore the darker their roast is. What's the point, less sublteties in the flavor and less caffeine.
With a dark roast you don't need superb beans, because you're tasting more roast than bean. With a place like Starbucks (or even Peet's) they are roasting so much that a dark roast lets them get consistency out of a product that varies from crop to crop.

I hate dark roasts. A lot of oil on the beans...blech. Of course, you haven't tasted crap until you've tasted an underroasted espresso blend that has some robusta in it. I'd rather drink Folgers crystals than that :D

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
MMike said:
I got a french press for fathers day. And to go with it, a pound of spceically gorund Starbucks. I'm still trying to get the mixture right. I made it a little too strong this morning. My left arm is tingling and I think I can see through time.
Ha, that's pretty funny for MMike:p

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Silver said:
With a dark roast you don't need superb beans, because you're tasting more roast than bean. With a place like Starbucks (or even Peet's) they are roasting so much that a dark roast lets them get consistency out of a product that varies from crop to crop.
exactly. it seems that many people (on this continent, anyways) are of the opinion that espresso is de facto toxic charred sludge (a la *$), thus nearly undrinkable without the addition of gallons of milk, syrup, whipping cream, sprinkles, etc; in the case of places like these, this is pretty much the truth, though its a disservice to the humble coffee bean.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
xy9ine said:
exactly. it seems that many people (on this continent, anyways) are of the opinion that espresso is de facto toxic charred sludge (a la *$), thus nearly undrinkable without the addition of gallons of milk, syrup, whipping cream, sprinkles, etc; in the case of places like these, this is pretty much the truth, though its a disservice to the humble coffee bean.
:stupid:

Espresso in Italy, OTOH. :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: