Quantcast

coil compatibility

freeriding1

Chimp
Sep 22, 2021
Hallo! Will a rockshox coil fit a cane creek double barrel?
The cc coil is 36.3 mm (1.43") and the rs is 38.5 mm. Will there be any problem?

PS. do you know any relatively cheap brand for titanium coils? (europe)

PS2. Do you know how much mm is one full turn of preload? I want to calculate the correct spring rate i need, since now i have 5 turns of preload in a 300 spring, so if one turn is 1mm, then i have 11.80*5 = 59lb more spring rate.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Cane Creek and RS coils are incompatible with eachothers shock bodies.

Basically, everything uses about the same size coil and are mostly interchangeable - except rockshox and MRP, which use a larger spring size. I'm not 100% confident that EXT uses the same size as CC/Fox/DVO/push/etc though.

Figure out your appropriate spring rate before worrying about a ti-coil to be honest. The weight savings are negligible at this point over some of the light weight steel springs like CC and Fox's SLS springs, and there's no reason to spend extra when you don't even know the exact spring rate you need. Getting the precise spring rate you need will make your bike ride a million times better than getting an okay spring rate but it's titanium.

I remember some of the dorks on this forum were trying to claim that ti coils were more supple or some shit.

That's because their steel springs were almost certainly not accurate to their listed rate. Two actually equal rate springs ti vs steel should not feel any different. But the ti one will wear out and fatigue faster.

Calculating that way is overrated. If you're at 5 full rotations, its probably time to bump up to a 350 lb spring. CC coils (while I was working there, I no longer do) seemed to test out to be the most accurate steel springs and we aimed to keep them under 2% variation from the listed spring rate, but 2% can still be significant - most springs tested from other brands were also in that range, but we did see the occasional spring come through that was as far as 5% off.

Where I'm going with this is that you could have as much as a 30lb variation in what your actual spring rate is vs what is listed on it depending on the particular brand of spring you have, and 3 different springs might give you three different rates. Or it might not. Without actually testing them though, you wont really know.

You might be better served by looking at sprindex if its compatible with your shock and frame as you get the ability to adjust the actual spring rate rather than preload.

freeriding1

Chimp
Sep 22, 2021
Thank you very much for the detailed response :dance:
I won't go for titanium, you are totally correct, just wanted to see options and prices.
I have a 275 (not 300) with 5-6 turns of preload, so thinking of getting the 320 ohlins, which is same id (as it is indicated) and they claim tolerance of 1.5%. Expensive but worth it i guess. There is also a 343, but if i get the 320 i can add some preload if needed.
ÖHLINS Steel Coil for TTX 22 M for 77 - 89 mm Stroke - bike-components

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Thank you very much for the detailed response :dance:
I won't go for titanium, you are totally correct, just wanted to see options and prices.
I have a 275 (not 300) with 5-6 turns of preload, so thinking of getting the 320 ohlins, which is same id (as it is indicated) and they claim tolerance of 1.5%. Expensive but worth it i guess. There is also a 343, but if i get the 320 i can add some preload if needed.
ÖHLINS Steel Coil for TTX 22 M for 77 - 89 mm Stroke - bike-components
If you're going to invest in springs it's hard to do better than Super Alloy Racing. They are available with POM spacers to fit any brand of shock, include a +/- 1.5% guarantee, and they send you the actual measured spring force of the one you buy to be sure.