Quantcast

Coin Bar End

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
I remember hammering coins into the ends of my bars once a long time ago. I also made a barend for my touring bike out of some driftwood while touring. Anybody have cool barend mods they would like to share? I have been thinking that endgrain hardwood ones would be cool, or maybe simply money again.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
I remember hammering coins into the ends of my bars once a long time ago. I also made a barend for my touring bike out of some driftwood while touring. Anybody have cool barend mods they would like to share? I have been thinking that endgrain hardwood ones would be cool, or maybe simply money again.
I vaguely remember that being written up in FREESTYLIN or somewhere back in the day and trying to do it myself. It pretty much didn't work.
I can't remember when bar ends first came with grips. Maybe Jive Handles ??

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
I've done the coin thing before, and it definitely works. You need to hammer the coin down to the right diameter so that it is a perfect press fit. I am just on the lookout for cool ideas.

NoBrakes23

Chimp
Sep 22, 2011
SoCal
I can't remember when bar ends first came with grips. Maybe Jive Handles ??
Yes, it was the zagnut-festooned Jive Handles that first came with bar ends. I distinctly remember those. They outlasted the grips. (Which had a decent lifespan themselves.)

NoBrakes23

Chimp
Sep 22, 2011
SoCal
Come to think of it, I didn't buy another set of bar ends after my Jives until I got those nifty Volumes in 2000. LOL, I still use the GT 4 piece bars from my '91 PFT on my 20"