Quantcast

Cold commute

I had to drop Hilarie's car off for work this morning, so I pedaled my ass from Shelburne to Colchester. With air temperature at 15 F or so, I had to ask someone at work to make coffee when I arrived. My hands were so cold I was dancing. Still a nice ride.

I need better gloves - the motorcycle-type gloves I have accumulate moisture.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
That's damn cold.

Fox makes an insulated type glove for cold weather. I tried them on last night, little think for the weather I'm riding in, but they felt fairly breathable and still very warm.

The Ito

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
It was about 30 when I rode to work this morning. I don't mind the cold hands as much as the tears that form and then freeze on the corners of my face. I need a pair of ski goggles.

jdschall said:
It was about 30 when I rode to work this morning. I don't mind the cold hands as much as the tears that form and then freeze on the corners of my face. I need a pair of ski goggles.
I found that a full face helmet completely eliminates the cold face/head blues.

I just looked at weather, damn temperature has continued to drop. At least I get a tailwing on the ride back this afternoon. :dead:

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
I use my Hotfingers ski gloves when riding in the real cold weather. The bulkiness is a non-issue compared to warm hands. They kept my hands toasty on a below-zero ride at 'Nam last winter.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
johnbryanpeters said:
I found that a full face helmet completely eliminates the cold face/head blues.
Yeah but I can just imagine what the marines at the gate would think when I rolled up with more body armor than them looking like Darth Vader reject.

I just looked at weather, damn temperature has continued to drop. At least I get a tailwing on the ride back this afternoon. :dead:
Seems like there is never a tailwind here. I live near a large body of water with lots of inlets and channels. It really creates some weird wind currents. Part of my ride will always have a good 10-15 mph wind.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
There have been a couple 15 degree mornings here too - I wear my balaclava to keep my lower face warm, and I recently switched to my snowboarding gloves on those extra cold mornings.

RIDE ON.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
johnbryanpeters said:
Maybe I'll try some of them, maybe their boarding gloves. They're cheap enough...
25 and below I used a smancy pair of North Face gloves. Never had a problem.

I am thin skinned in Cali. It was 45 out last night I was having some issues!!!

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Wumpus said:
Maybe some of these would work.

I used to ride with a guy that swore by those!

The worse commute for me so far? 9 degrees. Missouri has to be a top 5 candidate for the worst all-around weather. Frigid winters (sometiomes without enough snow to worthwhile) and hot, humid summers. Neither compares with the extremes some areas have but we get both! :mumble: