Quantcast

Cold Sore Treatment

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I know that I'm going to take a beating on this....

Those of you that suffer from them what do you use to get thru them quick.

I had tried all sorts of stuff but usually end up back with Carmex. The new thing is Aveeno stuff with propolis but I don't have any idea how its working yet.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
DRB said:
I know that I'm going to take a beating on this....

Those of you that suffer from them what do you use to get thru them quick.

I had tried all sorts of stuff but usually end up back with Carmex. The new thing is Aveeno stuff with propolis but I don't have any idea how its working yet.

Go to your Dr and get an anti-viral. They are relatively cheap and work the best. Not going to help with one you already have but will prevent them from developing in the future.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Axel Foley: Tell Victor that Ramon - -the fella he met about a week ago? - -tell him that Ramon went to the clinic today, and I found out that I have, um, herpes simplex 10, and I think Victor should go check himself out with his physician to make sure everything is fine before things start falling off on the man.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Man I hate those damn things. Seems to me though that once you get one, nothing is going to make it go away any faster.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I usually take a chunk of salt and stick on it till I'm crying pretty bad. Seems to help for me.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
robdamanii said:
Why not just burn it off with a heated butter knife?
Hrmm I've actually only ever done that with a Spoon. Here I thought you would have surely tried doing it with a spoon.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
robdamanii said:
That Abreva stuff tends to help quite a bit I've found.

Additionally, Lysine supplements with vitamin C will help you heal them a bit quicker and prevent them a little better.
I've done a lot of research on this and it definitely seems to help. Also many foods have large amounts of the amino acid Arginine and not much Lysine can trigger cold sores. Nuts and shellfish seem to be the big hitters to avoid.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Echo said:
I've done a lot of research on this and it definitely seems to help. Also many foods have large amounts of the amino acid Arginine and not much Lysine can trigger cold sores. Nuts and shellfish seem to be the big hitters to avoid.
Hrm, I knew Lysine worked by binding the virus (so to speak) within the nerve sheath, but I did not know that arginine had a catalystic effect on breakouts. Something to add to the old brainnotes.

Stress can also be a major cause of them as well. I've noticed that a cold sore is a huge indicator of how stressed I am.