Quantcast

cold weather gear

proglife

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Annapolis, MD
i'm determined to stay on the bike for as long as I can this fall/winter. anyone feel like recommending some essential cold weather gear. what will I need?

thanks!

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Commuting or just riding?

*Nice set of tights -- I prefer bibs to keep the draft out. shorts underneath and for extra cold days a pair of leg warmers.
*Couple of long sleeve wool jerseys/tops -- one or two depending on temp -- I picked up a windblock(chest area) long sleeve last year, but never got to try it out.
*Vest
*Wind jacket -- if its raining. you are going to get wet but I find that blocking some of the wind helps the wool layers keep you warm -- rain jackets are really too warm for me
*wool socks
*Shoe covers

*If I was commuting, I might go for a full set of rain gear

The one thing I have discovered over the years is too much makes you miserable. I would put on enough to be warm when I started then overheat in the first few miles and get all sweaty esp. with a wind jacket, then I was cold and miserable after that.

proglife

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Annapolis, MD
no commuting....rides no longer than 30 miles (assuming we get a real winter)

thanks for the replies. any specific items you couldn't live without (brand name)?

Wumpus, where do you live?

splat

Nam I am
Central Texas. My limit is 35°F and raining. I'll either quit riding for the two days its below freezing or go for a run.
35 !!! jeez! for road/commuting my limit is about 15, for mt biking, I have not fond the limit yet ( but at -10 my fork froze!! )

oh and if you do go below 32 , you need some thing in the water bottle like gaterade that has a lower freezing point

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
35 !!! jeez! for road/commuting my limit is about 15, for mt biking, I have not fond the limit yet ( but at -10 my fork froze!! )

It will only drop below freezing for one or two days at a time. I don't see any reason in having the gear necessary(mainly shoes and gloves because it's my toes and fingers that get cold and make it not fun) to ride at that temperature. Below 20°F is a rarity for these parts. If I lived in colder climes, it would be different.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Good advice in here. For me, having layers and not overdressing are important. Wind is the enemy when it gets really cold (especially on the road). A good jacket and windproof gloves can do wonders without necessitating a ton of insulating layers.

The biggest problem I have is keeping my extremities warm. I have poor circulation in feet and hands. Good, windproof gloves (with a decent amount of insulation if it's cold or the ride is long), wool socks (I prefer wearing 2 pairs of wool socks to booties) and some kind of hat are key. The hat really helps. I'm pretty sure this is what I've been using: http://www.rei.com/product/738915

It fits under my helmet, covers my ears and can roll down a bit over my neck/head for more warmth.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Will you be riding in snow or rain? We get 35 degrees and rain here, so having waterproof gear is essential. I'm big on keeping the extremities warm, top of the head, hands and the feet.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
It helps to know your temp limits.

Cannondale's LE Carbon winter gear is absolutely awesome.

My wardrobe for mid-30s mtb was:

Pearl Izumi Base layer
Jersey
Capo Forma Wind vest
arm warmers
Fox Sidewinders
Bergamo glove liners
shorts
baggies
knee warmers
warm socks

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I usually use a thin earwarmer but for cold rainy days on the road, I have a PI therma fleece bavaclava or below 35° on the mountain bike -- keeps the neck and cheeks warm.

I also pack a thin stocking cap, but it usually only gets used at the end of rides if I start to get cold.

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
Lots of good info already.

Head - I have an thin headband that covers my ears and a skullcap if I need full coverage. It doesn't hurt to put some duct tape over the majority of the helmet vents, or get a skate type helmet as someone already mentioned. I'll include glasses here too. My eyes tear up in wind or on DH's so I need something.

Torso - In the past my favorite combination was a patagonia silkweight stretch zip t for the base and a P.I. Kodiak jersey. If it was below 20F I'd throw on a windproof layer over top but most of the time (for MTB) I found the Kodiak to do a decent enough job of blocking wind. These days I find myself using all wool. I have an embarrassing amount of Ibex wool gear and can't say enough good about it. An Ibex Woolies Zip T, a Shak jersey and maybe a windproof vest covers me down to 15-20F.

Legs - I can't recall the model name, but I had some Castelli Bib tights that were great. Now I use Ibex knickers but can only tolerate the exposed calves down to the mid 30's, a little lower with some tall ski or snowboard socks.

Feet - If you're in MD, I'm going to go ahead and assume you do some winter riding at Avalon. Wet feet are a fact of life there and I honestly never figured that one out satisfactorily. I never went so far as to buy proper winter shoes though. My most successful strategy was to wear a few layers of thin wool socks and if it was really cold, pop one of those heat packs on top of each foot and then leave some dry socks in the car.

Hands - Specialized made a glove that had a regular thickness in the palm but was insulated on the back side. Best glove I ever used.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I couldn't live without my Hammer Nutrition Thermal jacket. I was sponsored so I didn't pay but it is hands down the best jacket I've ever used for through winters. The Isowind stuff it's made out of is heaven.

Booties are key for me as well. I can't remember the brand I use. They wrap around your foot and ankles and velcro close up the back. They were a decent price but I think I'd prefer a zipper or something instead.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I'm resurrecting this thread because I have some gear questions; Has anyone used this jacket? Nashbar is running an additional 20% clothing this next week and I figured this would be a good time to pick up a few cold weather goodies. I need a jacket that is waterproof, and warm, but one that you won't die in if the sun comes out. I was also thinking about these pants. I know there was a debate a while back about pants versus tights. I would prefer tight fitting clothing, but my top priority is to stay dry (we ride in lots of rain).

<edit> What about these gloves?

Last edited: