Quantcast

Cold weather Jacket

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
No matter what brand you get, I'd recommend a softshell.
I totally agree. I have a Patagonia Core jacket. Its plenty water resistant in everything except a total down pour, yet it breathes extremely well. However I have been wearing a Icebreakers wool, thin baselayer and an Outdoor Research windshirt and its been great.

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/home/style/home/apparel/apparel_shells/apparel_shells_wind/55665

I got it on close0out last year for $45. Best $45 I've spent in a long time.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Monkeys,

I rode today and froze my damn a$$ off. I don't think I have ever been as cold as I was today. My feet and legs where fine, but my chest and hands where numb for hours after the ride. So I just bought a pair of Lobster Gloves but I'm unsure of a good Jacket to buy. There are so many out there - and the range from 60 - 300 bucks. I was hoping for some suggestions. I would like to use it for both road and mountain and something that will work into the high 20's.
you need to layer that is all..........the tops 2 layers should have zippers to regulate your temperature......but always pack a jacket when you go out in below freezing temps, just in case......i ride in any temperature and the most i ever needed was a windbreaker type jacket over all the layers, just to keep the heat from get blown off by the wind......

what i found to be most important in the cold is to get something on your legs that retains some heat.........regualr spandex isnt a good choice.....get something with a bit of insulation.....putting too much on and sweating alot will also make you cold.......

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I've got last year's version of the Marmot Ascend. I got it as kind of an all purpose jacket, but I really like it. IMO, go with a few more layers under a lighter jacket rather than fewer layers and a heavier jacket. Heavier jacket get bulky in a hurry. I hiked this weekend with my dogs in single degree temps - I wore a long sleeve under armor thing, a 300weight fleece, then the jacket and I was plenty warm. I'm constantly surprised how water proof it is too. Very nice jacket, got it at TJ Maxx for $70 just before Christmas.