Quantcast

Cold weather monkey's

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
I have a question for you guys that ride in cold weather alot. What kinda shoes do you all wear? Now it doesn't get that cold around here as a rule,usually low teens,high single digits.No matter what I wear my feet freeze,everything else is fine but my feet........Any suggestions would be appreciated.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
For me, it's all about a good pair of cold weather socks. I picked up 2 pairs of Wyoming Wear Backcountry socks that are specifically for cold conditions, and they have been great. They are basically fleece for your feet. In really cold weather, I'll wear a regular sock under them as well. I'm not sure it ever got above 0 on our ride today, and my feet were toasty the whole time.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
berkshire_rider said:
For me, it's all about a good pair of cold weather socks. I picked up 2 pairs of Wyoming Wear Backcountry socks that are specifically for cold conditions, and they have been great. They are basically fleece for your feet. In really cold weather, I'll wear a regular sock under them as well. I'm not sure it ever got above 0 on our ride today, and my feet were toasty the whole time.

Never heard of those socks but I will try to find some.I try the two pair of socks thing but i believe i may need a little wider pair of shoes for winter.Think they may pinch my foot to the point of restricting circulation somewhat when wearing heavier/multipile socks.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
GravityFreakTJ said:
Never heard of those socks but I will try to find some.I try the two pair of socks thing but i believe i may need a little wider pair of shoes for winter.Think they may pinch my foot to the point of restricting circulation somewhat when wearing heavier/multipile socks.
I hadn't either. I tried the 2 pairs of "normal" socks setup, and it doesn't come close to using these. I found them at Marshall's, of all places. About $8 a pair. Here's there homepage: Linky

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
GravityFreakTJ said:
I have a question for you guys that ride in cold weather alot. What kinda shoes do you all wear? Now it doesn't get that cold around here as a rule,usually low teens,high single digits.No matter what I wear my feet freeze,everything else is fine but my feet........Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Well, we rode last weekend when it was about 17 outside. I personally wore some Columbia Polar Fleece Socks (you can get them at EMS) and my hiking boots. Squirrel (my husband) wore his regular riding shoes, wigwam smart wool socks (available at EMS or Dicks Sporting Goods) and plastic baggies over them (the small yellow price chopper ones I believe). One of the other guys we ride with bought winter shoes (I have no idea what kind) and likes them as well.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
TreeSaw said:
Well, we rode last weekend when it was about 17 outside. I personally wore some Columbia Polar Fleece Socks (you can get them at EMS) and my hiking boots. Squirrel (my husband) wore his regular riding shoes, wigwam smart wool socks (available at EMS or Dicks Sporting Goods) and plastic baggies over them (the small yellow price chopper ones I believe). One of the other guys we ride with bought winter shoes (I have no idea what kind) and likes them as well.
Goin for a ride in the morning.It's supposed to be 14 degrees with 15mph+ winds.I defintely have to get some good socks. I wear my regular riding shoes as well.Sidi(which I wear) makes a fleece lined winter shoe but i'm to cheap to go that route.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Yeah, the winter-specific shoes are pretty pricey. Try some fleece socks instead. Pretty much the same concept. Look in Marshalls first, if there's one close by. The local sporting goods chain, Sports Authority, or whatever, should have a pretty good supply of fleece type socks. There's always EMS, but they will be a little more, pricewise.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
berkshire_rider said:
I didn't know they had Dick's sporting goods outside of the Northeast. Up here, they actually carry Pedro's lubes, a few of their tools, Camelbacks, and regular and Slime tubes.

Actually they just bought out another local sporting goods store and that bites.It was HUGE,two stories and actually carried all kinds of bike stuff.One of my friends bought his Ellsworth Truth there.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I bought the cheapest shoes I could find and got them a size or two too large. Gives me plenty of room for two layers of thick merino wool socks. I also duct taped over the vents. The shoes ar kind of flexy but comfy and warm.

T-Blazer

Monkey
Jun 8, 2004
rochester,ny
Im working the new winter shoe from Answer with a poly sock liner, and a Smartwool ski sock, and the chemical foot warmers from Graber. I put the warmers on the top of my foot, not the bottom. Worked real nice on last weeks TNUA ride, 0 degrees. Shoes cost $130-150 range, socks $20, and for me the fun to ride all year priceless.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Dick's bought out Galyans I believe so I think they may be national or almost national now.

Some people were getting crazy great deals on complete bikes when the Galyan's were being converted over to Dick's.

One dude reported on MTBR.com that he got a North Face branded IH Hollowpoint - I think it was the sport level equivalent - for $400 for a complete bike!

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
I 2nd the larger size pair of shoes. More toe wiggle room/room for more sock layers.

I've got a pair of cheapy Shimano shoes, 1.5 sizes larger than my normal. 1 pair of thin poly cycling socks, a pair of wool or fleece over those and I'm good for quite abit. If it's wet, I use a pair of Sealskinz H2o proof socks over the top. I've alos got a set of neoprene over booties that add quite a bit of heat purely by blocking wind/water, and holding more heat in.

And a chem heat pack if really needed.

One of these days though, I'm gonna' spring for a set of the nice winter riding boot/shoe things.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I usually use clips in the winter and wear my regular cycling shoes. Thick, high quality wool socks and insulated booties keep me warm enough for long enough.