Quantcast

Cold weather riding gear...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Okay, I know a few of you have bikes. Rumour has it that some of you actually ride these 2 wheeled contraptions.
I am still thinking about the purchase of a fat bike for my upcoming trip to Greenland, for which I will be sans auto, and plan to ride at least 14 of the 12 months I will be there. I hope to plan a few epic rides which will neccesitate the purchase of some decent cold weather riding pants...anyone got a decent reccomendation?
Normally I have just worn some kind of weather proof pant with long johns and riding shorts underneath, or some variation thereof...may look at XC ski garb. Thoughts?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
merino wool base layer + something wind & water proof. same goes for top, but add a few extra layers.

also, a pair of these if you don't already have them:

http://www.lakecycling.com/shoes/mxz303/

yes, they are pricey. but they are worth every single fvcking cent. ideally try before you buy. stateside distribution is hit or miss, but you should have an easier time finding a shop with them since you are in the EU.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Layers and layers is what makes a big difference. Even with shoes I went from one shoe cover to two and I have had some toasty feet this winter. Some thing with gloves.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Layers and layers is what makes a big difference. Even with shoes I went from one shoe cover to two and I have had some toasty feet this winter. Some thing with gloves.
personally, i never found shoe covers to work worth sh*t. some of them can get really expensive for what they are, at which point you're better off buying actual winter riding shoes.

but other than that layers is fantastic advice. also, wool is your friend.

Clips or flat pedals?
i ride spd with the shoes i posted above. cross bike, not fat bike, but still.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
In the apst I have Nikwax or Scotchguarded the crap out of an old pair of BDU pants and used those...but thanks to the various service uniform boards, that is getting tough. But fortunatley clothing tech has given me plenty of snivel gear to cover the torso, just not any ride worthy pantalones. Yet.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i got my hands on a pair castelli pioggia pants through SAC on the cheap (i think around $40). and they worked well when paired with a pair of lined tights.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I ride and xc ski with a pair of micro-fleece bib tights under a pair of uninsulated softshell pants. When it's really cold I wear windbriefs.

I have a soft-shell jacket and gloves too. I like soft-shell for snow sports because snow doesn't stick to it like it would to fleece, it's moderately windproof, and much more breathable than hardshell. Both my pants and jacket are made with Schoeller dryskin fabric.

On my feet, I've been fine using ski socks, covered by a goretex sock in my DH shoes (5.10 Raven and old school Times). As long as the shoe isn't tight, and I keep moving I'm usually fine.

I don't like wool for highly aerobic activity because it doesn't wick enough, it still will get saturated with sweat. Polypro base layer, whatever thickness fleece depending on how cold it is, and a softshell over top. I love wool any other time, just not for when I sweat.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
personally, i never found shoe covers to work worth sh*t. some of them can get really expensive for what they are, at which point you're better off buying actual winter riding shoes.

but other than that layers is fantastic advice. also, wool is your friend.

i ride spd with the shoes i posted above. cross bike, not fat bike, but still.
I have a think windstopper Gore bootie for when its not too cold, then a old from the 90s neoprene bootie I take on top of that when its really cold. Will without a problem hold me feet warm on the road in 20F weather.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have a think windstopper Gore bootie for when its not too cold, then a old from the 90s neoprene bootie I take on top of that when its really cold. Will without a problem hold me feet warm on the road in 20F weather.
i do have a set of booties, but for cool weather, not cold. for when just wool socks aren't enough but not cold enough for the winter shoes.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Local big box store sells a ton of Gore branded stuff...I think that plus layers of issued (Read- taxpayer funded. You guys are buying my underwear...thanks!) Patagonia underwear is the best answer...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Local big box store sells a ton of Gore branded stuff...I think that plus layers of issued (Read- taxpayer funded. You guys are buying my underwear...thanks!) Patagonia underwear is the best answer...
i've got some patagonia boxers for hiking. they are amazing.