Quantcast

College Degrees

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
reflux said:
Newflash: nobody likes being in a classroom for 6 hours a day, let alone having to pay attention and learn. Cut the crap and just tell me you didn't want it bad enough.

Go to college, pick a degree on something that will interest and challenge you, and don't forget to slow down and enjoy the view.
Sure thing!! Give me the $ and I will :D

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
RideND said:
All you monkeys that are in college or have already graduated what did/are you major/majoring in? Do you have a job related to your major?
B.S. Psychology
Ph.D. in Neuroscience
Now I'm on faculty in a Med school, department of Endocrinology....
It's all science, so yeah, it's related....

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
One class away from MBA (to finish in August) with emphasis on International Business, minor in accounting...not using a damn bit of it really.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
After f'ing around for 4 years, I finally got an Associates degree in Advertising Design and Commercial Art. That was back in '90 and I've been a full time graphic designer ever since.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
pixelninja said:
After f'ing around for 4 years, I finally got an Associates degree in Advertising Design and Commercial Art. That was back in '90 and I've been a full time graphic designer ever since.
I saved the effing around for *after* college. Then I effed around for 5 years......

Who am I kidding, I'm still effing around. :D

-S.S.-

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Mackie said:
B.S. Psychology
Ph.D. in Neuroscience
Now I'm on faculty in a Med school, department of Endocrinology....
It's all science, so yeah, it's related....
Dude. Shouldn't you be doing some life-saving research or something? Instead of effing around on the :monkey: that is? ;)

-S.S.-

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Toshi said:
pick the right courses and 6 hours a day is actually fun. i certainly didn't enjoy ALL of my coursework, but a good deal of it was great. and all of it, late nights, deadlines, finals and all, is far superior to the working life imo.

I miss school like crazy.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I double majored... Degree in Graphic Design, and a degree in Commercial Illustration.

I have a job as a designer, so yeah, its pretty related. However I have leanred this: If you want to make big bucks, look elsewhere. But if you want to work plenty of overtime for less than 40k graphic design is where its at. Its one of those jobs that you have to really enjoy to do.

Also I know a lot of unemployed designers, methinks I was lucky to hold a job through the rescent years. Anyway, if I could do it all over, I probably would have picked something else, though at the moment I cant think of another profession that I would enjoy.

:think: Elevator Mechanic!!!! Oh yeah baby, very few elevator mechanics, work short hours for big pay, get to ride the express service elevator, get to wear a harness. Oh yeah!!!!

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
Bachelor of Mining Engineering.
No intention of working in any other line.
Pays very good.
PLUS what other job would let me play with explosives on a daily basis.

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
AAS in Mechanical design and Manufacturing. Work right now doing design work for a major winch company, latest project, utility bumpers that house a planetary drive winch. Sometimes interesting, sometimes the bullshiit paperwork gets so boring I want to slit my throat. :) Good thing about it, I don't have anyone bird dogging me, so I have time to hang out at the :monkey: and design some parts for myself. :thumb: :thumb:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have a BS in Mechanical Engineering. I am a control engineer, which is part mechanical, electrical, manufacturing and software engineering. My degree was not the best major for my job but it gave me a great foundation for it. But I am ready for a career change, I want to harness my hatred for mankind and commit crimes against humanity, or something similar like a lawyer.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
golgiaparatus said:
I have a job as a designer, so yeah, its pretty related. However I have leanred this: If you want to make big bucks, look elsewhere. But if you want to work plenty of overtime for less than 40k graphic design is where its at. Its one of those jobs that you have to really enjoy to do.

Also I know a lot of unemployed designers, methinks I was lucky to hold a job through the rescent years. Anyway, if I could do it all over, I probably would have picked something else, though at the moment I cant think of another profession that I would enjoy.
Well said. I too feel lucky that I kept my job over the past few years. In my company, our creative dept used to be 11 people. Now it's 3.

And you're right about not getting the big bucks. I've been doing this long enough, and have switched jobs enough times that I'm now making a comfortable living at it, but for anyone considering going into graphic design, you need to be prepared to pay your dues for a while after getting out of school.

KFulch

Chimp
Jul 10, 2002
NC
BS in Biology
MS in Biology ( focusing on genomics ) currently working on

I am currently in laboratory operations management (project manager) and specialize in capillary DNA sequencing and genotyping. I also manage our confocal microscopy facility that has just got up and running.

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
BA, English: I use my writing skills in almost every job I get, but I never could land a job officially writing or editing. I guess there are too many people out there with Master's beating me out?
Minor: high school teaching license. This I do not use. I knew I didn't want it but couldn't change my minor because it was too late when I decided I didn't want to teach.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Not out of HS yet, but I think I might major in International Relations, then go to law school if the field of diplomacy has nothing to offer. Problem is, not many schools offer that major.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Started at a liberal arts with the intention of doing biology and then switch to Duke's marine biology program... Didn't happen.
Then I was at a school doing buisness classes... damn that sucked (I did well, but hated it!)
I finally gave up and did the same crap as my father and grandfather - Mechnical Engineering as a 21 yr old freshman!

Got a great job at Johnson & Johnson and am now considered a senior Biomedical Engineer. 10 years(co-op time included...) and 3 patents (issued - 6 more applications) later I left for a start-up in SoCal.

Life is GREAT!

2piece

Chimp
May 30, 2004
Wake Forest, NC.
Freak said:
I have no degree! heh.....Yet I'm a Network Engineer for AT&T Wireless (No, not a RF engineer that everyone likes to complain about), but soon I'll be working for T-Mobile.
I deal with people like you all day long...what a pain in the A$$ you people are;) Just kidding. I work for Sprint LD as a fiber tech/ET @ POP sites on east coast US. I hate my hours but love working on new platforms. My eyes are shot from looking at lasers over the years, I have no time to ride, due to awkward maint windows I seemed to get stuck working all the time. Other than that, it pays the bills and parts on bike.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
BurlySurly said:
who needs college?
Depends... I currently work at a job (Building Electrical Systems designer)where I would not have been hired without a degree... here I am anyway... I've work with many degreed engineers who couldn't engineer their way out of a paper bag... A degree doesn't prove you know anything, but it's supposed to mean you can learn.

However, I am pretty much at the top of where I can go in this field without a degree. To really advance (or to start my own company), I need a P.E. (Professional Engineer) license. To get a P.E., you need a engineering degree. So, as much as it may arguably be a waste of time, I may end up going back to school (in my mid 30's) for a degree in some sort of engineering... whatever I can get fastest and cheapest... :think:

My mother has a degree in Art History but that degree opened the door for her current purchasing job many years ago.

All said, if I could do it over again, I would have stayed in engineering school back in 1989... That stupid piece of paper will open doors for you. Granted, it's up to you to make things happen afterwards.

RideND

Monkey
Nov 1, 2003
Mandan, ND
Thanks guys for all the replies. Next fall I plan on going into Communications or something like that. Then maybe in 5+ years I can be showing all you monkeys my first awesome bike.

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
The suburbs of Mexico.....
BS in Criminal Justice, work for a private investigation firm. I would not have been hired without my degree. Plan on going back to law school....one of these days.

Mocha

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver Island
BA in Anthropology

I do website work full time. However, my part time job is youth outreach work, which is somewhat related.

I wouldn't change a thing. University was the best thing I've ever done for myself.

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
2piece said:
I deal with people like you all day long...what a pain in the A$$ you people are;) Just kidding. I work for Sprint LD as a fiber tech/ET @ POP sites on east coast US. I hate my hours but love working on new platforms. My eyes are shot from looking at lasers over the years, I have no time to ride, due to awkward maint windows I seemed to get stuck working all the time. Other than that, it pays the bills and parts on bike.
East coast eh?? We're moving to NJ in less than 30 days!

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Yes
BS in Business/Marketing
...and I'm a regional marketing Manager for H&R Block
Plan on going back for an MBA in a year or two

HedgeHog

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta GA
BFA specialized in Graphic design. I pursued a second major for a while in Scientific Illustration. In my 5th year of school, I reached a point where I could graduate with my design degree, so I did. I knew I made the right decision when I bumped into an old class mate who graduated with an SI degree. She was stocking shelves at the store I was shopping in. :eek:

I make a decent living as an art director for a communications firm. It took a while to get here though. My degree definitely help me get where I am.

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
majored in Pastoral Theology, with a minor in Music Education.

I work as a Projects Manager for an Aeorspace/Electronics company.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
I'm also a Graphic Designer. I graduated from the University of Arizona in 95 with ABFA and got a job right out of school here in KC for a not-for-profit. Pay sucked but good benefits. My wife, also a graphic designer, works for Hallmark Cards and makes a pretty good wage.

I went freelance this past February and am making more than I was. I agree that the design field is pretty saturated, but you can make a good bit of cash if you stick with it long enough. This is a field where you have to love it, because the hours can suck. On the other hand, I think almost everyone is overworked and underpaid...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
RideND said:
Thanks guys for all the replies. Next fall I plan on going into Communications or something like that. Then maybe in 5+ years I can be showing all you monkeys my first awesome bike.
in all seriousness, why communications? it seems... generic.

obSimpsonsQuote, and we all know that the simpsons are always right :D :

Hibbert: Son, I'm afraid that leg is hanging by a thread.
Lubchenko: Lubchenko must return to game!
Hibbert: [chuckles] Your playing days are over, my friend. But, you can always fall back on your degree in ... [reads chart] communications!? Oh, dear Lord!
Lubchenko: I know! Is phony major. Lubchenko learn nothing. Nothing! [cries]

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Toshi said:
in all seriousness, why communications? it seems... generic.

obSimpsonsQuote, and we all know that the simpsons are always right :D :

Ummmm....yeah......BA Communications...everytime that episode comes on the air my friends rag on me. To be honest I really enjoyed what I was learning. I was already working in the computer industry so I didn't feel that I needed to get a Computer Science degree. Now that the computer industry is in the pits....I'm a firefighter now. So yeah I get to put my major to use whenever I work cuz 90% of our calls are medical calls. Its all about customer service these days.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
BS - Marketing
MBA

I am currently the business owner of a software platform within Xerox. So yea, it’s related to my major, but I can’t really say I used too much of what was in my actual classes, but it helped me get every job since.

groovis

Chimp
Mar 18, 2004
San Diego, CA
BS Computer Engineering
Web site admin (no not using my degree) and
Pizza Delivery

Uni was a damn fine 6 years, I especially miss the riding everyday part.

duff-man

Chimp
Oct 2, 2001
Fresno, Ca.
stoney98 said:
Anthropology. Now I'm a stock broker. So no, not at all.
I actually got the job that I got my securties licenses through because of biking. They saw my management/entrepenurial experince with Final Cause/ Cal Cycling / and my failed attempt at starting a small WC team and hierd me because of that. I still wish I had stayed industry and moved to socal though....
What firm did you get hired with Stoney? I had a bachelor's degree in biochemistry so it doesn't really apply to my career as a broker, I mean "financial advisor"...