Quantcast

College Football - FINALLY

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Joe Pozer said:
But the spread offense is the reason he was brought to Florida. The thing is that you won't really know if it will work or not until he gets his players in there. Chris Leak is not the right fit for the spread offense, he is a very good pocket passer. Right now he is trying to implement his system with Zook's players, which isn't going to work. The problem is that at Florida you don't have the luxury of time.
That's where I will disagree. He wasnt brought to Florida because of the "Spread Option" he was brought here because he is a sound coach that has turned poo programs into solid performers. It was time for him to see if he what it took in the big time. To take a solid team and bring it to the next level (a contender). I do not think, and hope he is not a single minded guy. Everyone had that misconception of Spurrier, that he was a 1 way kind of guy (throwing the ball deep). But if you actually look at the teams when they were successful, they were very BALANCED. Right now UF has no balance because no one has to defend downfield. IMHO no college football team will ever be a powerhouse running "themed" offense. You HAVE to be multifaceted. Florida has the athletes and the coaches to do that and be successful, lets see if he will go with the flow.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Joe Pozer said:
They say that within the next five years it will become the biggest Univ. (enrollment wise) in the state. That growth rate still blows my mind...
I dont doubt it 1 bit. UCF is where UF was when I enrolled 1991. It is a solid university education wise, a bargain and a fun place to be. UF is impossible to get into now for anyone other then supergeeks (and they are pushing that "elite" status enrolment wise). UCF is now a destination university, add to the mix the size of the surrounding community using it as a commuter university and it should dwarf every other school in the state in no time.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC

Overall I am a happy camper with wins over UT, UGA and FSU, not to mention undefeated at the SWAMP. Now if Urban would tweak the offense that he ran against UGA and FSU to his liking I am thinking UF could be a national powerhouse.

at least UT beat UK :p

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
It's a down year for all 3 of the "big" Florida teams. Miami is probably the best of them this year, but they aren't a top 10 team, IMO. Florida State has some issues. They stink on both sides of the ball. I still don't know how they beat the 'Canes this year? :confused:

I really want to see a USC - Texas game for the national championship. There seems to be just one way to beat USC - outscore them. Texas may be up for the task. They score a lot of points most weeks. No one has done it yet this year for 2 halves.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
berkshire_rider said:
It's a down year for all 3 of the "big" Florida teams. Miami is probably the best of them this year, but they aren't a top 10 team, IMO. Florida State has some issues. They stink on both sides of the ball. I still don't know how they beat the 'Canes this year? :confused:
Florida State beat Miami, we beat Florida State, that makes the Gators the state champs :blah: :cool: I really put no stock in that whatsoever

berkshire_rider said:
I really want to see a USC - Texas game for the national championship. There seems to be just one way to beat USC - outscore them. Texas may be up for the task. They score a lot of points most weeks. No one has done it yet this year for 2 halves.
It will be great for college football if that match-up comes to fruition. :)

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
without Simms in the mix, UT should have no problem with CU. let's just hope USC doesn't let us all down.

UT has USC beat on paper. according to the stats ESPN showed on Saturday.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
berkshire_rider said:
There seems to be just one way to beat USC - outscore them.
Now that sounds like a Yogi Berra quote!

I'm working on getting my Rose Bowl tickets now - it's good that everyone else is getting behind the Trojans now.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
berkshire_rider said:
Paper stats are for fantasy football. In real life there's Reggie Bush. :p
true. but USC won't be able to rely on him, again, like they did against Fresno. i wonder how serious LenDale's injury is?

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
the Inbred said:
true. but USC won't be able to rely on him, again, like they did against Fresno. i wonder how serious LenDale's injury is?
^^^ Why not?

As for LenDale - it looks like a sprained shoulder, worst case. Maybe no catching passes until January for him.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
started out that way, and i think i posted that right after he fumbled under center. can't remember. he smoothed out, though. Bush is amazing. i don't see how, after Fresno and this game, Vince even has a chance. in the school paper on Friday, some sports writer was criticizing those who thought Young didn't deserve the Heisman. he claimed to not be a fanboy. i wonder if he watched the games today.

and it looks like LSU is getting spanked.

and it's good to see FSU pulling it together.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
the Inbred said:
70-3. holy crap. i don't know what this shows...how ****ty the North division is, or how good UT is.
... then SC showed that doing that to a ranked team is more impressive.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
a ranked team that got their ass kicked by Arizona. i hear USC picked by 6. got any chance of getting in? they said on the local news last night that ****ty tickets were going for over $800 here, where as decent ones were $2500+. ouch.

as much as i wanted to see FSU beat VT, it's crazy seeing them in a BCS bowl. i wonder how Oregon feels? can't wait until bowl season starts.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
Good article. And my favorite Reggie run is between the Washington State "the whole team's on him, he's down - wait , no he isn't!" run or the "stop" vs. Fresno State.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
the 'stop' is the best run i've ever seen. 99.9% of the running backs would've either stepped out, or lowered a shoulder. i think that play is what won over those voters on the fence. it was the perfect time to pull that run off. personally, i hope he stays for his final year at USC. if he enters the draft, that'll be it for USC.

the most memorable run i've seen was Ricky Williams' TD romp against aTm to break Dorsett's record, and pretty much seal the Heisman votes.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
No way - SC's got talent stacked up behind Reggie, LenDale, and Leinart - I think we'll do okay.

At the SC games this year, they replayed an OJ Simpson run on the jumbo-tron that was just like the "stop" - same side of the field and everything.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
Reggie kicks ass! And Young needs a lesson in not letting reporters put words in his mouth - they're making him look whiney...

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
sc is the best team, most people up for the hiesman and they are going all the way again!!!!!, no one can stop bush!!!

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
zmtber said:
sc is the best team, most people up for the hiesman and they are going all the way again!!!!!, no one can stop bush!!!
I got my ticket, so I'll be there on Wed.

and again - it's not just Bush - it's Leinart, LenDale, Dwayne, etc....

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
damn, you got a ticket? they were snatched up damn fast in Austin.

--edit--

Georgia/ WV...entertaining game...especially the fake punt.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
Even better - after trying unsuccessfully to buy a ticket (didn't get one from SC, and didn't get one of the 1,000 that ticketmaster sold), so I asked around and found someone who hooked me up for free.

There's 89,000 seats in the Rose Bowl - 24,000 tix to SC, 22,000 to Texas - the rest were spoken for 6 months ago (rose parade committee members, Pasedena polititians, etc...

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
usc usc usc usc usc usc usc usc usc usc usc !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
rooftest said:
I got my ticket, so I'll be there on Wed.

and again - it's not just Bush - it's Leinart, LenDale, Dwayne, etc....
yep! dude that game is going to be crazy im just gong to watch it at home, hopfully it doesn't get any closer then that fresno game