Quantcast

College....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
So I bust my ass for my class this semester. I'm not late to a single class and I don't miss a single class. I get the highest and second highest grades on all the test and quizes in class and my final average is a god damn mother F'ing C.

Not to mention I took some excedrin to get rid of my god damn headache and apparently I'm allergic to it so I'm breaking out with hives all over my face and arms.

GREAT F'ing day!!

(thank GOD I'm going for a solo ride after work)

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
stosh said:
So I bust my ass for my class this semester. I'm not late to a single class and I don't miss a single class. I get the highest and second highest grades on all the test and quizes in class and my final average is a god damn mother F'ing C.

Not to mention I took some excedrin to get rid of my god damn headache and apparently I'm allergic to it so I'm breaking out with hives all over my face and arms.

GREAT F'ing day!!
And you know there is a monkey banging your ear right? Dont you feel that? :blah:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
There must be a reason you got a C. Bust out the syllabus and find out what s/he graded you on.

Sorry to hear it. You could always appeal to the teacher if you take a good look at your work/grades and can't see where your grade was dragged down.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
stosh said:
So do your grades average out to a C? Are you planning on talking to your teacher to explain your low grade?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
binary visions said:
There must be a reason you got a C. Bust out the syllabus and find out what s/he graded you on.

Sorry to hear it. You could always appeal to the teacher if you take a good look at your work/grades and can't see where your grade was dragged down.
I already have a call in to him at his house.

Just to give you an idea of what he's like his message went like this:

The barron and the barroness are out right now, please feel free to leave a message and we will attempt to return it at our leisure.

J

JRB

stosh said:
<snip>The barron and the barroness are out right now, please feel free to leave a message and we will attempt to return it at our leisure.
You're kidding right??? Did you tell them you were a Duchess??

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
stosh said:

The barron and the barroness are out right now, please feel free to leave a message and we will attempt to return it at our leisure.
Oh.

So he's an arrogent prick.

Fair enough. You can still talk about your grade with him, but he's probably not very likely to respond to an aggressive, "Why the hell did I get this?" tactic. Maybe try the, "I learned a tremendous amount from you in this class and worked very hard to make the most of it, which is why I don't understand..."

Good luck with it. Hope something works out!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
binary visions said:
Oh.

So he's an arrogent prick.

Fair enough. You can still talk about your grade with him, but he's probably not very likely to respond to an aggressive, "Why the hell did I get this?" tactic. Maybe try the, "I learned a tremendous amount from you in this class and worked very hard to make the most of it, which is why I don't understand..."

Good luck with it. Hope something works out!
Yeah thats how I'm going to respond to him... it just ticks me off. I've NEVER called a teacher before.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
stosh said:
I get the highest and second highest grades on all the test and quizes in class and my final average is a god damn mother F'ing C.
How much of your grade were those worth? What else contributed?

Just remember, in the real world no one gives a f--- what grade you got. Be glad you passed and keep on truckin'.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
riderx said:
How much of your grade were those worth? What else contributed?

Just remember, in the real world no one gives a f--- what grade you got. Be glad you passed and keep on truckin'.
yeah but I want to transfer at some point. The other thing is he could have given me a B- because the minus doesn't mean a thing. The grade still computes as a B.

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
stosh said:

Be wary of any visit to his house. Based on that outgoing message, he may want you to sit with him at "hearth's edge", and then go for a dip with him and his lady in the "hotub".

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
stosh said:

Maybe they are in the SCA. The local SCA region is called a barony. The heads of said region are the baron and barroness and we do tend to have a lot of academics in our group. If you give me their names I can look them up and see if they are SCA folk. Most of us in the SCA tend to make that side of our life the primary side. My screen name of "Ciaran" is my SCA name. If they are the baron and barroness it would make sense that they would have that on their answering machine. The office of baron and baronness is a very busy one.

If they are not SCA (or other recreation group) folk then yeah, they are just arrogant pricks.

J

JRB

Ciaran said:
Maybe they are in the SCA. The local SCA region is called a barony. The heads of said region are the baron and barroness and we do tend to have a lot of academics in our group. If you give me their names I can look them up and see if they are SCA folk. Most of us in the SCA tend to make that side of our life the primary side. My screen name of "Ciaran" is my SCA name. If they are the baron and barroness it would make sense that they would have that on their answering machine. The office of baron and baronness is a very busy one.

If they are not SCA (or other recreation group) folk then yeah, they are just arrogant pricks.
All of this makes you seem pretty flippin' weird.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Play the game now. Play nice, kiss up, and the teacher might raise your grade, or acknowledge his mistake. College is great place to play the game.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
loco said:
I've known he is weird for a while! Hella nice guy though and he comes out with some good ones sometimes!!

J

JRB

Kornphlake said:
As opposed to people who sit around their computers typing about bikes and such?
I'd be offended if I ever mentioned bikes. :think:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Stosh, look on the bright side: with a C average you can always run for president.

:thumb: :D

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
loco said:
And the SCA folks think I am weird for spending thousands of dollars on bikes. It all depends on you're point of view. But in the grand scheme of things yeah, I am pretty weird. Makes my life interesting though. And the nice thing about the SCA is it's really not a bunch of fantasy geeks pretending to be trolls and wizards. If you can't prove it existed or was done in the time period, it's not allowed. And my main point of interest in it is the fighting. I mean how often do you get to hit people with a 3 foot long stick "padded" with a couple of layers of duct tape as hard as you want? WHAMMO!

You know, we do have chapters in Texas if you're interested. :D

riderx said:
No, Sword Carrying Alcoholics :thumb:

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
that sucks, man. i have my own gripes about college, and quite a few deal with grading procedures.

though, being that you had the #1 or #2 grades on tests and quizzes...i have to say something doesn't make sense. unless his grades were 100, 50, and 0, in which case, you very easily could've ended up with a C. i know in the business school at UT, professors routinely curve way down. we can go to the Dean of a particular college and complain. one of my advisors advised me to go to a particular dean and file a complaint against a particular prof and TA (who knew that Google was supposed to be my educator?).

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
biggins said:
what the hell is SCA and stosh just remember c's get degrees.
Society for Creative Anachronism. Basically a medieval recreation group. Worldwide with over 100,000 members. If it was done back then, we do it now. Started in the 60's by some Berkely professors and science fiction authors who decided to have a theme party one day. As I said, my main interest is medieval combat. Armor, fighting techniques, battlefield tactics, etc. My secondary interest is Irish history. I also have a couple of articles on medieval fishing if you're interested.

Don't mean to derail your thread, Stosh. I figured that other folks may not know what the heck I was talking about. Just thought I would clarify even though most folks here aren't really interested in that sort of thing.

As for your college issue: "My advice to you is to start drinking heavily". C's get degrees, but I am not sure they get you into grad school. (I never went to grad school though, so don't listen to me)

crono35

Monkey
Feb 11, 2002
irvine
sigh... i just got the second lowest grade in the class on my computer architecture class. I hate classes that are all memorization.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
riderx said:
The SCA folks make the Star Wars and Star Trek geeks look normal. :eek: Hard to believe, but it's true.
Yeah, but we are WAY more fun. How many star trek geeks drink way too much homebrew then start fighting? And they never play "Brit & Irishman". We tend to be in much better shape then them too. Well, at least the fighters are.