Quantcast

Collegiate MTB Nationals

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Got word from our conference director that there was an unofficial announcement made that they would be held in Seven Springs Oct 30-31 this year. Although they havent made it official and knowing the way the NCCA works, they probably wont until 2 weeks before the event so its a royal pain in the ass to get accomidations and everything squared away.

Does anyone know anything more about them? We are trying to get a group of riders together to go but without official word on location/date etc we have no idea if we can afford to send riders or not.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
how are you all affording to get there? all of the money we earned all year went to our regular season racing. I am hoping to get a chunk of cash from our sports rec guy but not sure its gonna happen. Flying from the west coast to PA with a group of riders, bikes and gear, and staying for almost a week aint cheap!

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
mplutodh1 said:
how are you all affording to get there? all of the money we earned all year went to our regular season racing. I am hoping to get a chunk of cash from our sports rec guy but not sure its gonna happen. Flying from the west coast to PA with a group of riders, bikes and gear, and staying for almost a week aint cheap!
thankfully our school has given our team a small budget and there's only a couple of us. i'm the only person to my knowledge going to 7springs from my school. forunately for us our "budget" is enough to pay for pretty much all of our racing and plane fares, etc for nationals, and small local races......what makes the entire story so great is we aren't even apart of the sports department at all...... :)

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
well we arent part of the "sports deparment" we are part of the campus recreation sports clubs... club team. we get a good budget this coming year but a team of 50+ active members in both road and mountain, traveling almost every weekend and the race entry fees being kinda high out here, our budget gets drained QUICK! I think we might be sending 5-6 riders, we will see though.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
mplutodh1 said:
I actually don't think I'll be able to get there. Our team is kinda half-assed when it comes to the mountain biking side of things, and so I'll probably have to sit this one out. :(

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
dexterq20 said:
Where in the world is Seven Springs? Last year's was in New Mexico, right?
Southwestern PA, about an hour SE of Pittsburgh. NORBA used to hold a National there a few years back. I think they still do a 24 hour event there as part of the Adrenaline series. Plan on it being super rocky, cool, and leaf covered that time of year. Your best bet for some local trail knowledge may be to call Speedgoat.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
here is a blip about the ncs there.
i raced it and it was a short muddy
rocky track with a long travers across
grass at the end.

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
Holy @@@@! Seven Springs!?!?!?!

That place used to be pretty decent back at their last National in '99. I saw my first DH race there like 6 years ago. Their mountain isn't very tall, about 700 ft elevation, but it was very technical. They've been very shady about having MTBing at their resort in recent years.

Do you have to be on a collegiate team to race? Can you race in a different category without a collegiate team?

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
you have to be a collegiate racer with a collegiate license to race at the collegiate nationals. so that would mean your school would have to be a registered with USA Cycling as a collegiate club/team

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
Meh, I guess I'll just have to do some filming and shooting then. University of Pittsburgh doesn't have a cycling team, one more reason that I need to transfer out of here. :mad:

I live about an hour from 7Springs so if anybody needs help getting there, I might be able to give some rides. The resort is about 1-1.5 hrs from Pittsburgh Intl, located in Champion, PA.