Quantcast

Collegiate Nats Roll Call

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Its that time of year again...so who's going? Haven't heard much hype about the event this year. Looking forward to a mid-semester vacation to get shreddy at northstar!

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
I will be there! cant wait. does anybody know what they will be running for the DH course? last years course was great except for the unnecessary fire road in the middle.
:thumb:

ucsbMTBmember

Monkey
Nov 20, 2009
yeah it may be a bit harder to race. if they fix it up like they did for the pro grt then it should be good. if only they had kept the road gap in there

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
yeah it may be a bit harder to race. if they fix it up like they did for the pro grt then it should be good. if only they had kept the road gap in there

Yeah, I thought that trail was sick...so hopefully its a good time. Looks like 4x is on livewire again but i'm just racing DH. I don't recall a whole lot of pedalling but Gypsy is pretty twisty so it will probably be somewhat long and tiring. As long as there is no 30+ second fireroad sprint...I about puked in my helmet last year. The altitude hurts coming from the east coast.

huntandride

Chimp
Feb 16, 2009
Reno
Not racing but i think that Gypsy will be good especially if they build it up as well as they did the for the GRT.. It could be long though if its top to bottom like the grt

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
doesnt look as fun as last years course. not a fan of jump trails as DH tracks

Its a DH trail with jumps on it. Ain't nothin wrong with taking flight every now and then.

Picture livewire crossed with last years track...its got the rough techy stuff but its got the flow too. It was my favorite trail (except maybe boondocks) on the mtn last year.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I'll be there spectating (riding my bike as usual) and being angry that my favorite trails are all taped off for other people to ride on, you lucky bastards.

But seriously, if you hear a guy screaming at you to pedal pedal pedal through a rock garden, that'll probably be me

NAYR

Monkey
Jul 13, 2009
Truckee
^^^But there are no rock gerdens on Gypsy.:D
Here's what the trail looks like for those that haven't ridden it. Can't wait for nationals. Looking forward to riding up there again.

danennis

Chimp
Aug 29, 2009
brevard
Ennis checking in, rolling out sat morning in one bigass uhaul loaded with bikes from most of the heavy hitting schools from the dirty south. 40+ hrs drive ahead, see you in tahoe suckers!!!

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
oh sick, its on gypsy? the good side of the mountain will be opened then! I assumed it was on karpiel or dogboner or something.

J

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
... all im saying is there is some really good trails that are not being used
Talk to USA Cycling about that one. Apparently other trails were pushed for but declined due to safety issues for riders. Trails like Karpiel or Dogbone are too hard for some of the riders that would be required to ride it.

It's BS and its what hold collegiate DH racing back. I could bitch about it but I'm outta this scene next year.

At any rate, Gypsy is an awesome trail and I'm pumped to ride it.

yetihenry

Monkey
Aug 9, 2009
Whistler, BC
Apparently other trails were pushed for but declined due to safety issues for riders. Trails like Karpiel or Dogbone are too hard for some of the riders that would be required to ride it.
Thats crazy, in the UK we race BUCS (british university college sport) Championships and we bedded in a new track at AE Forest for the National Champs! They sent us down as test pilots, and we have a lot more people just "giving it a go" due to the fact its 10hours drive maximum.

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
I'm in. Getting bikes and gear cleaned, packed, rebuilt etc as we speak.

It's looking like this should be a great time, I just wish it didn't happen smack during our midterm week! :eek: Also, a new, non-broken evil revolt would be great, but I guess my old morewood will have to do.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
Howdy collegiate shredders.

yes, it is indeed true the race will be held down gypsy this year. I have not spoken directly with Northstar about trail matience, but i do not think they will be adding any rad nasty 40 foot booters like they did for the GRT.

4x will be on live wire again, and there is rumor of it going further down the hill. not sure how i feel about that, but this is what i've heard.

XC and STXC will be nearly identitcal to the courses they were on last year.

just hope it doesn't keep pissing rain!

Words.

Eddie McDonald
Nevada Cycling

J

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
Thats crazy, in the UK we race BUCS (british university college sport) Championships and we bedded in a new track at AE Forest for the National Champs! They sent us down as test pilots, and we have a lot more people just "giving it a go" due to the fact its 10hours drive maximum.
Just like Bizutch said, there are some XC guys that insist on racing DH for omnium points. Of course all the actual downhill racers are supportive of a harder, more technical trail. Then there is also the womans downhill category which generally consists of XC chicks that were convinced to race DH for the points. You see, they can earn the team a lot of points by just getting a female rider down the course. So, "rightfully" so USA Cycling doesn't want these types of people going down a hard DH course. I think we all agree on this one.... LAME!

It's not like I'm going to go try and ride a **** ton of miles in the XC race just for points. People need to realize XC and DH are different disciplines that require (for the most part) different riders.

Oh, and Eddie, I hope it doesn't stop raining until the drive home. sucka

NAYR

Monkey
Jul 13, 2009
Truckee
Getting all ready to head out! anybody know what conditions are looking like???

can't wait to be there
Probably dry, dusty and cool. There has been a lot of rain up there recently but with no precipitation likely this week, I'd imagine that it's going to be typical Northstar moon-dust by the weekend. Should be fun!

MX489

Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
Was an awesome time, course was pretty fun and wicked fast. Was out there racing for UCONN. Didnt have a good race run but the riding a Nstar made the trip worthwhile