Quantcast

Collegiate Nats. . .

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
Real college students?

Dave Camp - Pro (uses student loans to race on national circuit)
and Mech Engineer

TJ Sharp - Mech Engineer, makes more money selling energy supplements than racing Pro.

Phil Wheeler, doesn't even break even racing semi-pro and goes to college.

Michael Buell, races pro, same as above.

As for the women?

Neven Steinmetz, going for her Ph. D in Chemical Engineering, and races a pretty full Pro race season. Somehow she balances that chemical equation.

Caroline Jarolimek - Started racing seriously like a year ago? Now headed to Pro races, and goes to college.

Jess Vogt, races pro and goes to college also.

That's about all I know about the CU squad. Try to beat them now. :biggrin:

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
First, I find it hard to believe that David K would be sober long enough to even attend one class at a community college, let alone be declared "academically eligible" anywhere.

Second, are yall sleeping on Codding? Big mistake. Wet, dry - no matter. He didn't do too bad at the Chile Challenge last May. Check it here:

http://www.racemsc.com/results/main.php
Hey Matt, how is Codding doing? I didnt see him at too many of the races later in the year. I heard he got hurt so I fugured he might not be at Collegiates this year. If he is there he will be a threat for sure. He was up there on the podium last year after a few years off the bike.

I hope to see him back racing the NORBAs again next year as well.

zerossix

Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Arlington, VA
damnnnnnn i need to get my collegiate team thing going. i've been beating around the bush for way to long with it. too bad i live on the water and theres no mountains anywehre near by...its all good i'd be happy to qualify for collegiate nats and go get my ass handed to me by some pros, sounds like a hell of a time. haha seriously i'm excited bout next year. oh i'll whip all you VA tech kids too!

BRIANBUELL

Monkey
Nov 17, 2005
Boulder, Colorado
DIV I downhill is going to be stacked! I'm kinda glad I don't have to go up against all them fast kids:M Buell, DC, TJ, Heath, Wildermen, Wheeler, only to name just a few in our area. My question is this, other then kids in the CO area: (B Turmen) who are the DIV II rippers around the nation? I will place my bet on M Buell, he loves Angel Fire and is Due for one! See ya'll at the races, its gonna be sweet!!! Saturday night i hope it snows:banana:

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
DIV I downhill is going to be stacked! I'm kinda glad I don't have to go up against all them fast kids:M Buell, DC, TJ, Heath, Wildermen, Wheeler, only to name just a few in our area. My question is this, other then kids in the CO area: (B Turman) who are the DIV II rippers around the nation? I will place my bet on M Buell, he loves Angel Fire and is Due for one! See ya'll at the races, its gonna be sweet!!! Saturday night i hope it snows:banana:
I finally bought brake pads, increasing pinner output by 249.7% - watch out meh. Thanks for the shout out. Our man Jess Pedersen is also freakishly quick . . .

I'm doing all four events, ouch - but a possibility of an omnium title!

BRIANBUELL

Monkey
Nov 17, 2005
Boulder, Colorado
Omnium eh! Sure is possible, i got 5th last year while only doing two events! GO FER IT!!! Oh yeah, jess is very fast...watch out! Brake pads eh, i'm going to try and wear mine out like at Final Descent, had nothing there, work real well! You did need help though!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Are ou telling me that the other full time college students out there are all cool with showing up at Nats know they're going to have to race Pros...broke or not?

I mean..if you're pro and doing it for the love, not the money, I absolutely 100% respect that. But I don't respect you going to a collegiate race and cherry picking the true "academic" athletes.

I don't have sympathy for you because you don't make any money as a pro. That's your own personal choice right there. If you want to make money, you have 3 very distinct choices.
1. Get a contract
2. Keep trying to earn one and don't complain (you already know the market for your skillset)
3. Go do something else to get paid for.

Terrell Owens lost his contract last season and wasn't getting paid . By everyone's logic here, since he isn't getting paid, it should be OK for him to line up in the USC -vs- Texas National Championship game.

Everyone is using our sports low money making potential as a cop-out to let pros steal the prize from the kids. Life's not a pity party for unpaid pro mountain bikers and you shouldn't be any different than any other pro athlete.

If you're pro, you're NOT collegiate.

Not trying to make anybody mad here, honestly. But it's pretty black and white. It's just one more reason why we aren't taken seriously by other sports.....

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
According to Bizutch all semi pros should be ineligable too. Also, being Bloom was ruled inelibable for accepting skiing sponsorship, all those who are sponsored should not be allowed to compete either.

This isn't 1996, you don't turn pro for money or a contract. You do it because you are good enough and you WORKED HARD ENOUGH. Why penalize those who worked hard when the line is so grey between who is "too good" for NCCA and who isn't?

Nobody sacrifices like DC, TJ or any of the other "pros". They go to bed early when the rest of us are drinking beer late at night. They wakeup early to study hard so they can go dirt jump later that night...in the snow.

It does anger me a little bit when I've grown up with these guys and watched them push day in day out for this and then they get "too good" by your definition? They don't represent the collegiate standard? BULL!

Like I said before...pulling college loans to go race is as college as it gets. David welded his own bike and raced it at a National. How's that for an ME project?

Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
You're right Butch, it IS pretty black and white, and it has nothing to do with making money or not. The simple facts are that if a cyclist is attending college and meeting all of the academic, event, and race requirements to be selected for Collegiate Nats, then that rider gets to go. Period.

I like you from what I know of ya, and I understand that you think it's "unfair" or whatever, but this is the way it is. Write NORBA or the NCCA or USA Cycling if you think it should be changed. ;)

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Oh, one more thing. If David, TJ whoever had a big contract, got paid a lot of money, had a solid world ranking and most importantly were BARELY students I could see the arguement.

They somehow just have the talent, work ethic and commitment that outrivals most anybody else in college...don't take anything away from them!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
This isn't 1996, you don't turn pro for money or a contract. .....
Dude, you're playing the pity card to the hilt.
Yes, in every other sport in the entire world, you turn pro for MONEY or a CONTRACT.

Pro means Pro. You wanna race collegiate, you don't turn pro. If you're pro and not making money...too bad. Your choice.

And don't put words in my mouth. That's not cool. I never said anything about not allowing semi-pros to race collegiates. Semi-Pro is a STUPID name for our category. We're amateurs. One more case of MTB'ers thinking we deserve more than any other sport. Every other sport...you're AMATEUR...or your PRO!

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Oh, so that check I was handed for a podium wasn't real? David, TJ etc make NO MONEY FROM ANY COMPANY. The only $$$ they make are the dollars they won at a race, just as I have in semi pro. What's the diff? That TJ rides for Yeti? Kind of like me riding for Cannondale in semi a few years back huh?

Like I said, it's too grey, why argue about this in a sport where MAYBE 5 dudes in the US make enough to pay the bills or count it as material income?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
You're right Butch, it IS pretty black and white, and it has nothing to do with making money or not. The simple facts are that if a cyclist is attending college and meeting all of the academic, event, and race requirements to be selected for Collegiate Nats, then that rider gets to go. Period.

I like you from what I know of ya, and I understand that you think it's "unfair" or whatever, but this is the way it is. Write NORBA or the NCCA or USA Cycling if you think it should be changed. ;)
True. Since it could very well cost my teammate a chance at a podium, I might should do that. When the system smells, spray it with Butch scented Lysol....:brows:
Disclaimer: I, in no way, represent my teammates opinions and they have their own feelings on such matter. Don't hate them for my thoughts....

I'm not blaming TJ and DCamp for attending since they're allowed to since USAC created the loophole. But can I air my opinion that it's a flawed system...yup. :D

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Last example.

Here at CU we have a place kicker who *MIGHT* be the best place kicker in the world, pro or not. He has hit field goals warming up from over 70 yards. He goes by the name of Mason Crosby.

Clearly, he is good enough to stop playing college football tomorrow and get drafted...make a good deal of money for a place kicker.

However, he is sticking it out here at CU.

Mountain bike racing doesn't work the same as main stream sports. Just because you turn pro doesn't mean you make money unlike many of the the sports NCAA santions.

Don't look at titles, look at who they really are and how much they have really made. NONE! Most college athletes on scholarship are better off than ANY pro racer out there right now. They get HOOKED UP! Thousands in money for school, living expenses...and here at CU you even get an endless supply of girls presented to you.

The result is no different than Mason kicking for CU. He's good enough to be in the pros...so what's the diff.

_bp

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Annandale
It is not like collegiate racing is some big development program where you hone your skills in hopes of being noticed by some pro team drafting you.

It is just a bunch of people in school racing each other.

The NFL and being in the pro class are not the same. I mean the minimum salary in the NFL is 275k. The Pro class in mountain biking is only a class designation and nothing more. If they changed the name to the beeffaroni class it would mean nothing different.

And the reason money-making athletes are not allowed to play under NCAA, as opposed the the NCCA that oversees collegiate cycling, is because students should be in school to get an education and not a salary. It has nothing to do with an assumption that there is an unfair advantage. Because that argument falls flat as well. I think it is pretty safe to say that Reggie Bush was better than at least one NFL player while still in college last year. And the same is true in DH. I mean Jamie Ford, a semi pro, routinely beat pro-class racers all year long.

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
I believe hes hit a 60 yarder at sea level in a game against Miami and also hit a 66 yarder up here at altitude against CSU that was called back due to a holding penalty.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Really wish I was going this year, but poor planning and the new transmission my car needs say otherwise. UMaine is taking that s*** in 07' though :p

Seriously though, my supports behind Adam Morse. For me, it's been a series of 2 man races, and he's the only kid I want to beat. Kids been getting faster at an exponential rate this season, and really shines on balls-to-the-wall tracks. If he has a solid run, he'll be right up there in the standings. Personally, I'd love nothing more than to see UVM dominate some west coast ass.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
really? I must have been sitting in an imaginary stadium at WCU watching the kickers for Furman and WCU doing the electric slide and other goofy dance moves on their approach to the ball during warm-ups and standing at their own 40's and nailing about 4 out of every 5 70 yarder.

I'm not making it up bro. They'd both stand facing each other, point, doing a goofy pop and lock routine or something else and then fire it over 1 another's heads. Maybe I was just watching 2 badass's, but it's Da Truf...:shocked:
The longest field goal kicked in the NFL is 63 yards. Ever.
A kicker who can kick one 70 even in practice is as rare as
as a US rider winning a DH World Cup race.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
See article:
This dude is a freak.

Crosby Could Be Kicking For The Record Books

Colorado's kicker has his sights set on the longest field goal in history

Aug. 9, 2006

By Adam Caparell

CSTV.com

ADAM CAPARELL
Adam is an assistant editor for CSTV.com and contributes on a regular weekly basis.
E-mail here!

--- Column Archive --- FOOTBALL 10/11: No. 4 Trojans Could Be No. 1 Sunday 10/6: Lemming's Top 25 Tight Ends 10/5: The Real Forgotten Record 10/4: All About Adrian 9/29: Lemming's Top 25 WRs 9/27: Home Sweet Home For Tulane 9/22: Lemming's Top 25 RBs 9/20: Stoops Still Steaming Over Oregon 9/15: Lemming's Top 25 QBs 9/13: A Rivalry Renewed 9/6: Not Your Regular Week 2 Matchup 8/30: Big 12 Full Of New QBs 8/26: Prince Steps In For Retired Legend 8/26: Callahan's Sales Job About To Pay Off 8/25: Big 12 Preview 8/25: Texas Moves On, Post-Vince 8/23: Rowe and Nevada Look To Fire Again 8/19: Past Shaping Present at Tulane 8/18: C-USA Preview 8/16: Right Place, Right Time For Petersen 8/11: WAC Preview 8/9: Crosby Kicking For Record 8/6: WVU's History Lesson 8/5: Big East Preview 8/5: Bush in the Cards 8/2: Conference USA Success No Surprise 7/30: Houston Has A Heisman Hopeful 7/26: Next Man Up at Texas Tech 7/19: At Syracuse, It's All About Family 7/12: Double-Edged Sword at Tulsa 7/5: Peterson's Ready To Roll 6/28: Text Messaging Not Child's Play 6/20: Criqui Behind Mic For Irish 6/13: New Coach Thinks Temple Is Golden 6/6: By George, O'Leary Suits UCF Well 5/31: Weathering The Storms 5/19: Owls Ominous Beginning? 5/16: Seminal Seminoles Enshrined 2006 FOOTBALL SCHEDULE PLANNER 5/19: Week 1 5/26: Week 2 6/2: Week 3 6/16: Week 5 6/30: Week 7 7/14: Week 9 7/28: Week 11 8/11: Week 13

There are certain limits in football that seem impossible to exceed.

Unless you are Mason Crosby, that is, Colorado's kicker with a leg of steel, who has his sights set on breaking a few records this season.

Already the owner of Colorado's record for the longest field goal made, connecting on a 60-yard attempt against Iowa State in 2004, Crosby is anticipating the chance to break the school record again and set a new national mark as well.

That's because new Colorado coach Dan Hawkins plans to give Crosby the opportunity to best the old mark by nailing a 70-yard field goal.

That's right, a 70-yard field goal.

"I firmly expect him to set the history books straight this year," Hawkins said.

Ove Johansson set the collegiate mark for a made field goal of 69 yards in 1976 for the NAIA's Abilene Christian. The Division I-A record is shared by Texas' Russell Erxleben and Arkansas' Steve Little who both connected on 67-yarders in a span of two weeks in 1977.

Now it's Crosby's turn to raise the bar. And he has the leg to do it.

With a range that extends beyond 70 yards - last fall during one of the Buffaloes practices, Crosby made a personal best 75-yarder - all he's waiting for is the opportunity.

"He's truly phenomenal," Hawkins said. "I've told some people I don't think I've ever been round a guy who can dominate and take over like he can."

The 2005 All-American and Lou Groza Award runner-up was 21-of-28 on field goal attempts last season. He was 8-of-11 from 40-49 yards and 5-of-7 from 50-59 yards. His season best was a 58-yarder.

A 70-yard attempt might seem like fun preseason talk, but it isn't a bunch of hot air coming out of Hawkins.

"He's talked about it so much and he's not a guy that's going to back off something he's said," Crosby said.

When the record breaking opportunity presents itself is anyone's guess. It could come at anytime, anywhere, in any situation.

"He could just do it the first kick of the season," Crosby said. "I'm not thinking about it because I think it's just going to be one of those random things. We'll get stalled out or something and he'll say get out there and kick it."

Hawkins will let Crosby try the record-breaker that would come from the Buffaloes' own 47-yard line because he has confidence in his defense. Giving the other team great field position from a missed kick is a risk he's willing to take.

"Obviously the team comes first and we want to win the game," Hawkins said. "But you also have the chance to have a kid put his name in the record book that's been around a long time and I want give him that opportunity."

Colorado already got a taste of what Hawkins has been hinting at during the spring game when Crosby tried kicks from 70, 69, 68, 65 and 62 yards. He was 7-of-16 on the day.

"It got my leg a little tired," Crosby said.

To make a 70-yarder, Crosby said it would have to be the perfect kick. There's no time-tested method for making the long ones.

"I wish there was a secret to making it," Crosby said. "You just have to kick it perfect. From that far if you don't hit exactly right, so much can go wrong."

Colorado is just thankful Crosby is still in school after he kicked around the idea of leaving Boulder early for the NFL. He was graded as a second or third round pick, not bad for a kicker, but ultimately decided to stay for his senior season.

"I had one day where I was like it would be cool to go," Crosby said. "I think my heart and my mind was set on coming back pretty much the whole time."

He just felt comfortable in Boulder and felt a loyalty to his teammates who have all experienced controversy, scandal, firings and hirings at Colorado in the past four years.

"I know it's one of the reasons he came back," offensive lineman Brian Daniels said. "We've been through so much together. It's a tight-knit group of guys."

Crosby insists he didn't come back to improve his draft status, but more importantly to improve himself as a kicker.

That's why he also enlisted the help of Baltimore Ravens kicker Matt Stover, a fellow resident of his hometown of Georgetown, Texas. Crosby credits Stover for giving him his mental edge, insights into kicking and the mentality he takes into every kick.

There isn't much Crosby can't do when it comes to kicking the ball. He even does a little punting and very well could be the Buffaloes' punter when the season begins.

"If they want me to do it, I may punt as well," Crosby said. "I think we'll have some guys that'll be punting this fall. If they need me, I'm there. I'd prefer to just kick and kickoff, just to save my leg and keep that mental edge."

He did double duty in high school where he averaged 40 yards per punt. Hawkins had him punting during spring practices where he averaged 50 yards a punt and 65 yards during the spring game. But he admittedly doesn't have the best form.

"I kind of kick it like a field goal," Crosby said.

It's the field goals, of course, that Crosby is really there for. And he knows that he's going to have to make the most of his chance at history because he may only get one.

"If he gives me that chance, I have to take that opportunity and just make it," Crosby said. "I don't want to have to try it again. If I try it again I want to make another one."

Even so, Crosby isn't preparing any differently. He hasn't changed his approach; he hasn't implemented any specific regimen. In fact, seldom does he attempt them from long distance in practice.

"I don't really try a lot of long kicks in practice," Crosby said. "I think those kicks are one you have to save for special occasions."

It doesn't matter whether it's a 40-yarder or a 70-yarder.

"It's the same kind of kick," Crosby said.

Just like everyone else, he has his limitations. After all, he has yet to successfully hit from 80 yards.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
Wow...nothing like Pro classers bumping down to pilfer trophies from broke college kids.

I'll put my money on the real college kids making a legit go of it...and it just so happens they're my teammates who fall into the "non-sandbagger" category...:D:D:D

Charlie Mooney and Mike Thomas...heh heh.
That's what I like to hear. Too bad Mike's gonna be workin my ass up and down the dirt jumps and pisgah this week instead of Angelfire.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
so we should hand them an AMATUER COLLEGIATE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP TROPHY....????:brow:
Bizutch, just tell me - with complete honesty - that your teammates that will be attending Collegiate Nationals don't have aspirations of turning pro someday. Tell me - in truth - that if they DO want to eventually turn pro, that they are holding back from getting their pro license in order to race collegiates. Tell me that and I will shut up.

But seriously, doesn't NCCA/USAC operate under the USOC, and not under NCAA? And aren't there professional athletes that are allowed to compete in the Olympics, under USOC guidelines? Dream Team and all of that malarky? Skiing? Snowboarding? Shaun White sure as F*** ain't an amatuer... so why the hell are we squabbling about this again?

Oh yeah... Codding could very well take it. He's pretty darn fast... I mean you know, for a "pro" or whatever... :D

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Oh yeah...he's applying to be pro and everybody in the South is super proud of him. Just like Codding, he's from a pan flat state and holding his own in gravity sports.

You're trying to make up an argument bro...not biting.

Good luck everybody. And if stay sober the night before you race...you're doing us all a great injustice!!!!

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Bizutch, just tell me - with complete honesty - that your teammates that will be attending Collegiate Nationals don't have aspirations of turning pro someday. Tell me - in truth - that if they DO want to eventually turn pro, that they are holding back from getting their pro license in order to race collegiates. Tell me that and I will shut up.

But seriously, doesn't NCCA/USAC operate under the USOC, and not under NCAA? And aren't there professional athletes that are allowed to compete in the Olympics, under USOC guidelines? Dream Team and all of that malarky? Skiing? Snowboarding? Shaun White sure as F*** ain't an amatuer... so why the hell are we squabbling about this again?

Oh yeah... Codding could very well take it. He's pretty darn fast... I mean you know, for a "pro" or whatever... :D

You are arguing with Butch who honestly believes that field goal kickers at tiny division 2 schools kick 70 yard field goals while pop-locking. A simple google search provides the truth yet he argues on....
Don't expect to make any sense of it........:biggrin: