Quantcast

Collegiate Nats. . .

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
Does anyone know results from the 4X today? Most people do not have cell service down there, I know Verizon does not, but there are a few providers that do have service. So make some phone calls and update us all with some results.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Are ou telling me that the other full time college students out there are all cool with showing up at Nats know they're going to have to race Pros...broke or not?

I mean..if you're pro and doing it for the love, not the money, I absolutely 100% respect that. But I don't respect you going to a collegiate race and cherry picking the true "academic" athletes.

I don't have sympathy for you because you don't make any money as a pro. That's your own personal choice right there. If you want to make money, you have 3 very distinct choices.
1. Get a contract
2. Keep trying to earn one and don't complain (you already know the market for your skillset)
3. Go do something else to get paid for.

Terrell Owens lost his contract last season and wasn't getting paid . By everyone's logic here, since he isn't getting paid, it should be OK for him to line up in the USC -vs- Texas National Championship game.

Everyone is using our sports low money making potential as a cop-out to let pros steal the prize from the kids. Life's not a pity party for unpaid pro mountain bikers and you shouldn't be any different than any other pro athlete.

If you're pro, you're NOT collegiate.

Not trying to make anybody mad here, honestly. But it's pretty black and white. It's just one more reason why we aren't taken seriously by other sports.....

Having been someone who had to race against pros in collegiate races i don't think it's unfair. Most of the collegiate champs the past 10-15 years have been pros, it's just not on the MTB side either. When we won in track nationals in 1994 we had two elite national champions on our team, guys that had been on the US national team and a couple of us "normal" folk. There were people there that races at the olympics. In 1996 Rebecca Twigg showed up and raced the pursuit, she held the world record at the time.

Nobody really bitched, cause there were all carrying class loads like the rest of us. As long as they are in school full time who gives a crap. Hell there are guys that get scholarships to race for some schools.

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
Results for 4X:

DI Men -

1. Tommy Tokarczyk (Ft Lewis)
2. Chris Heath (Ft Lewis)
3. ?
4. ?
5. ? (Lindsey Wilson)

DII Men -

1. ? (Montana something)
2. Jess Pedersen (Colorado School of Mines)
3. Nick Zuzelski (Colorado School of Mines)
4. Phil Chilimindres (Western State)
5. Brandon Turman (Colorado School of Mines)
6. ?
7. Mike - last year's DII winner

DI Women -

1. Leanna Gerrard (WWU)
2. Caroline J (CU Boulder)
3. ?
4. Neven Steinmetz (CU Boulder)

DII Women -

no idea . . .

It's been a stellar event so far, and our team is kicking some butt (Colorado School of Mines). Ft Lewis is looking really strong in all events, should nab the overall for DI. DH is pretty sloppy in the trees and it is cold down here!

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
Anyone know if Andrew Pierce is racing (he is full time student at the U of U)? He would be right up there!!!
Haven't seen him around yet. Also, Codding and Dave Camp were the fastest during 4X practice, and the only two hitting the last three jumps (think way different course conditions than the May Chili Challenge race). Codding took himself out during qualifiers and Camp rode around a haybail and got DQ'ed. Would've posted some fast qualifiers . . . The Lazian bailed on one of the rollers, Brian Buell messed up his shoulder and may not even race DH, lots of crashes and ambulance rides during the 4x. . .

racersdad

Chimp
Jun 25, 2006
All typos are direct from NORBA posting. I assume the correct order is Men Div. I, Men Div. II, Women Div. I, Women Div. II

Men’s Division I 4-Cross
1. Thomas Tokarczyk (Fort Lewis College)
2. Chris Heath (Fort Lewis College)
3. William Parson (Lindsey Wilson College)
4. Weston Pope (Lindsey Wilson College)
5. Paul Post (Lees McRae College)

Women’s Division I 4-Cross
1. Anthony Coneski (University of Montana)
2. Jess Pederson (Colorado School of Mines)
4. Phillip Chilimindris (Western State College)
5. Brandon Turman (Colorado School of Mines)

Men’s Division II 4-Cross
1. Leana Gerrard (Western Washington University)
2. Carolina Jarolimek (CU Cycling)
3. Sabina Kraushaar (Fort Lewis College)
4. Neven Steinmetz (University of Colorado)
5. Monique Hein (Lees-McRae College)

Women’s Division II 4-Cross
1. Kate Chapman (Western State College)
2. Katelyn Parhiala (Saint Michael’s College)
3. Amy Scherm (Western State College)
4. Nylene Wicks (University of Montana)
5. Camile Prevost (Warren Wilson College)

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
USA cycling is terrible when it comes to typos, I wouldn't believe any of those results until they are verified by the actual riders. They have me listed on their website as being the 2005 division 1 collegiate dh champion. I race division 2 and I sure as hell didn't win at nationals last year.

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
Andrew Pierce...Haven't seen him around yet. /QUOTE]

That's hilarious... After this all debate about pros racing in the collegiate. I see him today at our local DH hill where we take a few runs and ask him why he did not go?

He said he thought pros were not allowed to race... Pretty funny
:bonk: :bonk:

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
UVM 6th, 8th, 11th and 16th not too bad.

Kyle Hickey in 6th was on my borrowed bike I might add. Pretty good!

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
DI DH -

1. Chris Heath (Ft Lewis)
2. Phil Wheeler (CU)
3. Jason Codding (Florida)
4. Tim Sharp (CU)
5. ?

DII DH -

1. ? (Montana)
2. Jess Pedersen (Colorado School of Mines)
4. ? (Western State)
5. ? (Western State)
6. Brandon Turman (Colorado School of Mines)
9. Nathan Work (Colorado School of Mines)

DI team omnium went Ft Lewis, CU, Lees McKray, CSU, and some other school with blue jerseys.

DII went Western State, Montana, _, _, Colorado School of Mines

Sweet weekend overall!

BRIANBUELL

Monkey
Nov 17, 2005
Boulder, Colorado
First of all, short track and XC events were really early in the morning, so I didn't go to see much of how that all went, heard it was a good time had by all though.

Friday: Mountain Cross Action!!! A frozen course provided for some fast yet interesting feel underneath the tires. As the morning sun presented itself the course started to get soft in certain spots. Codding and Camp worked up the courage to go for the last three jumps and after watching them clean the first soggy double I decided to just go fer it which was a mistake. A soft patch on the take which was the demise for many people, sucked up my speed sending me immediatly over the bars and backsiding the transition with my shoulder sending me out for the weeked. Lots of crashes this weekend in MX, go slow to go fast, crazy college students! Cu had a unlucky day with camp, who won practice, went around a haybail DQing himself, Sharp over the bars, out! M Buell also crashes in qualifying. Phile Wheeler was the lone CU MXer. The race was fun to watch, lots of action and no one hit the bottom jumps in DII so my effort in Practice as all for not!

SAT- DH practice, awards ceremony and naked criterium. DH practice went well, the CU fraight train was in full force. FLC, Vermont, CAL POLY and others were looking fast. Course was babysnot over frozen ground in areas which made for sh!t show in the upper woods for most, the rest of the course was fast a furious! Plenty of costumes at the awards ceremony, mostly just cross dressing! Guy puking on the floor was real funny, right infront of the USA Cycling officials. Some food fights and other stuff occured between teams which ended up in a ban from the community center forever! Lastly, the naked Crit. After some pregaming, the naked crit took place on a slender back road which resulted in near head(hehe) on collisions and mass distruction. Event note(Colin Becker won the Crit)! There were boobs, like three or four femals participated. The rest of the night was meyham and mostly a blur, a two story beer bong was involved. Good times!

SUN- DH!!! On a chilly morning the riders headed up the chilly mountain to attack a very chilled track. The top section was money as riders had no problem navigating each rock, root and turn. The rest was fast with very good traction all the way to the bottom. Heath blazed the course to the first place position while Phil(THE HULK) Wheeler had a pheniminal day coming down in a very respectable second! Good work Phil! The first rider out of the gate was codding who set the bar high and ended up third. TJ(THE LAZION) Sharp and Anthony Diaz(FLC) would round up the top five. Camp had a good ride, 6th or 7th) despite seperating his shoulder the day before. M Buell had a unfortionate run falling then later having his chain wind up in his cassete, destroying his derailer and also my birthday present to him, that whore! Lots of other fast riders came down the hill making the event very competative indeed. Leanna took the DIV I win for the women. Shout out to Jess Vogt for a strong 2nd , Caroline Jerolemik killed it despite having a flat, and newcomer to the DH Scene, CU XC rider Deyna(forgot how to spell and pronounce her name, someone correct me!) enjoyed her first DH race with a nice 5th place finish. DIV II, men, good riding with a strong showing from UofMontana and school of Mines. Over 200 riders participated in this years Habanero DH, ending yet another sick year of collegiate racing. DIV I Champs were FLC, DIV II Champs, Wasted State!!! Eric Gene and family were sent off right with a standing ovation to end the whole thing! It hurt to watch all the action go down, but it was awesome to see how much kids who are full time students care about the sport they love, by coming from all over giving 100% Rock on, Brian Buell out!

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Damn,
I should have placed bets, I called Codding in MTX he looked
fast but crashed out-But my second pick Parsons was on
the box like I said! way to represent Andrew! LWC
Then Codding showed he's no punk with the return effort
in the DH good job Jason! You still in Florida?
You need to hit up my Supercross race in GA

The whole weekend was pretty rad. Don't got much to add, Brians report pretty much covers it from my perspective as well.
DH course was in perfect condition for race morning, it was completly frozen making everything (rocks, roots, dirt, grass) all feel the same, like concrete, fast and grippy. The biggest challenge of the race was frozen hand. I think just about everyone couldn't feel their fingers after the first 20 seconds.
MX course was in greate shape but the wind and melted snow from earlier in the week made it much more technical then when we raced it in the spring, which made the racing pretty intense.
Congrats to everyone who did well.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Damn,
I should have placed bets, I called Codding in MTX he looked
fast but crashed out-But my second pick Parsons was on
the box like I said! way to represent Andrew! LWC
Then Codding showed he's no punk with the return effort
in the DH good job Jason! You still in Florida?
You need to hit up my Supercross race in GA
The MX was my fault, I tried an ugly pass and took us both out.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
woa, its wierd seeing the time differences between DIV I and DIV II. Isnt division just based on school size? (My school is DIV II but I compete against a bunch of those UVM guys in DIV I)

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
woa, its wierd seeing the time differences between DIV I and DIV II. Isnt division just based on school size? (My school is DIV II but I compete against a bunch of those UVM guys in DIV I)

I was not there so I am not sure what happened, but I in the past the DIV II schools race earlier than DI. I know the DI guys were all complaining about how cold it was during their runs and if the DII guys had to go off before them there were probably atleast a few spots on the course with moisture that had either frozen or frosted over making the course considerably more slippery. Im not saying that is what happened since I was not there but it could be the explanation. There must be some reason for it because I know that 2nd place in DII Jess Pederson is usually well inside 15 seconds of DI winner Chris Heath and it looks like he was about 35 off this time.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
The start list this year was pretty bizarre. Riders were started in descending order fastest to slowest based on regular usa cycling classes, not collegiate divisions. So D1 and D2 were completely mixed together. Im not sure when Jess came down but I know turman was just a few spots behind me. The course stayed frozen until at least 10-something. Brian Buell took himself out in MX, otherwise he probably would have slayed it in D2 DH. Also, Heath was pretty much just untouchable yesterday. Some of the other guys like codding and sharp might have been able to get him, but I seriously doubt I could have found 5 more seconds. Next year I'm planning on being able to pedal alot harder.

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
Dang Brian,
Sounds like a rough weekend for the CU crew...

First of all, short track and XC events were really early in the morning, so I didn't go to see much of how that all went, heard it was a good time had by all though.

Friday: Mountain Cross Action!!! A frozen course provided for some fast yet interesting feel underneath the tires. As the morning sun presented itself the course started to get soft in certain spots. Codding and Camp worked up the courage to go for the last three jumps and after watching them clean the first soggy double I decided to just go fer it which was a mistake. A soft patch on the take which was the demise for many people, sucked up my speed sending me immediatly over the bars and backsiding the transition with my shoulder sending me out for the weeked. Lots of crashes this weekend in MX, go slow to go fast, crazy college students! Cu had a unlucky day with camp, who won practice, went around a haybail DQing himself, Sharp over the bars, out! M Buell also crashes in qualifying. Phile Wheeler was the lone CU MXer. The race was fun to watch, lots of action and no one hit the bottom jumps in DII so my effort in Practice as all for not!

SAT- DH practice, awards ceremony and naked criterium. DH practice went well, the CU fraight train was in full force. FLC, Vermont, CAL POLY and others were looking fast. Course was babysnot over frozen ground in areas which made for sh!t show in the upper woods for most, the rest of the course was fast a furious! Plenty of costumes at the awards ceremony, mostly just cross dressing! Guy puking on the floor was real funny, right infront of the USA Cycling officials. Some food fights and other stuff occured between teams which ended up in a ban from the community center forever! Lastly, the naked Crit. After some pregaming, the naked crit took place on a slender back road which resulted in near head(hehe) on collisions and mass distruction. Event note(Colin Becker won the Crit)! There were boobs, like three or four femals participated. The rest of the night was meyham and mostly a blur, a two story beer bong was involved. Good times!

SUN- DH!!! On a chilly morning the riders headed up the chilly mountain to attack a very chilled track. The top section was money as riders had no problem navigating each rock, root and turn. The rest was fast with very good traction all the way to the bottom. Heath blazed the course to the first place position while Phil(THE HULK) Wheeler had a pheniminal day coming down in a very respectable second! Good work Phil! The first rider out of the gate was codding who set the bar high and ended up third. TJ(THE LAZION) Sharp and Anthony Diaz(FLC) would round up the top five. Camp had a good ride, 6th or 7th) despite seperating his shoulder the day before. M Buell had a unfortionate run falling then later having his chain wind up in his cassete, destroying his derailer and also my birthday present to him, that whore! Lots of other fast riders came down the hill making the event very competative indeed. Leanna took the DIV I win for the women. Shout out to Jess Vogt for a strong 2nd , Caroline Jerolemik killed it despite having a flat, and newcomer to the DH Scene, CU XC rider Deyna(forgot how to spell and pronounce her name, someone correct me!) enjoyed her first DH race with a nice 5th place finish. DIV II, men, good riding with a strong showing from UofMontana and school of Mines. Over 200 riders participated in this years Habanero DH, ending yet another sick year of collegiate racing. DIV I Champs were FLC, DIV II Champs, Wasted State!!! Eric Gene and family were sent off right with a standing ovation to end the whole thing! It hurt to watch all the action go down, but it was awesome to see how much kids who are full time students care about the sport they love, by coming from all over giving 100% Rock on, Brian Buell out!

The start list this year was pretty bizarre. Riders were started in descending order fastest to slowest based on regular usa cycling classes, not collegiate divisions. So D1 and D2 were completely mixed together. Im not sure when Jess came down but I know turman was just a few spots behind me. The course stayed frozen until at least 10-something. Brian Buell took himself out in MX, otherwise he probably would have slayed it in D2 DH. Also, Heath was pretty much just untouchable yesterday. Some of the other guys like codding and sharp might have been able to get him, but I seriously doubt I could have found 5 more seconds. Next year I'm planning on being able to pedal alot harder.
I watched Jess Peterson finish, so he couldn't of run more then 15-20min after Phil.
I also am not sure why the DII times were considerably slower this year, last year the gap wasn't quite that much. Maybe the course just didn't fit any of there styles. Or maybe they weren't pushing as hard.

I still think if Brian wasn't hurt (racing DII) he probably would of been very close to Heath had his run been good.