Quantcast

Colonago Made Where???

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
"Five years ago, I never would have thought I would be announcing plans to build bicycles in Taiwan," Ernesto Colnago said. "But the quality of Taiwan's manufacturing is undeniable, and to be competitive, you need to be open to new ideas."

For now, Colnago said, only his lower-priced frames would be built on the island. But with labor costs rising rapidly in the west, and with Taiwan's relentless investment in materials technology, it seems likely that most of the world's high-end bike manufacturers will join Colnago in Formosa within the next few years.
http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/7695.0.html

An interesting article.

Make note about the expense of Carbon going up due to the new Airbus.

While it is true that projects like Airbus's carbon-munching A380 500-passenger behemoth are consuming ever-vaster swaths of prepreg, it seems equally true that bike builders can get the carbon they need if they are willing to pay for it.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Colnago has been making their lower end bikes in Mexico for years. I wonder if they mean that most or all manufacturing will move to Taiwan?

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Ridemonkey said:
Colnago has been making their lower end bikes in Mexico for years. I wonder if they mean that most or all manufacturing will move to Taiwan?

lower end for now, and then eventually moving all

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Ridemonkey said:
I THINK (definately not an expert) that this isn't right. The confusion comes from the fact that when Merckx broke the hour record in Mexico City his Colnago ended up with Windsor stickers(a Mexican mfg. at the time) on it. This lead to the split of Merckx and Colnago.

I know that Colnago made a line of bikes called the Mexico after those were basically the samething as a Super. But that was in the 70's and early 80's. I didn't think those were actually made in Mexico.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
Ridemonkey said:
Colnago has been making their lower end bikes in Mexico for years.
that's what i've always heard. they build 'em in mexico, ship to italy for terrible looking, ridiculously expensive paintjob, send out final frames from italy so everyone thinks they're from italy.