Quantcast

Colonnade - In the rain?

DaKahuna

Chimp
Jul 27, 2003
Lake Elsinore, CA
I went to Colonnade last weekend for the first time, and both I and my son had a lot of fun. We went home and told my wife all about it, and now she really wants to go check it out this weekend.
With rain in the forecast.... is most of it protected enough, and good drainage set up, to be able to still ride there if it rains? Nobody should be up there tearing it up if it's muddy, I assume.
I'm hoping you all can save me a 100 mile round trip if it's not rideable, thanks....

BTW - anyone know who the girl/woman/chick (pick your favorite feminine pronoun) was up there last weekend that was celebrating her birthday and passing out cupcakes? Way cool to see some ladies up there hittin' the jumps and drops. A woman who celebrates her birthday by going riding at colonnade.... right on!
I forgot to introduce myself, greetings from the guy on the Karpiel!
Hope my wife steps up and rides some of the lines like these gals did....

Chip Albright

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I rode there a bunch in the early spring rain we had this year. Was just fine. The wall ride was a little damp, but other then that the jump lines were butter fun.

That's they reason they built there, among many others, is that it will stay fairly dry in the winter up there.

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
I was curious to know if it's lit up after dark. Anyone know for sure? I thought I saw some lighting installed but I could be wrong.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Most of the drainage issues were taken care of, but with the rush to finish and not having serious rain roll through yet we'll find out.

That being said, yah it's totally encouraged that you ride the park in the rain. And i would hope that if there is an issue with drainage somewhere that is hurting the trails that you post em up, get the word out.

And i think it could be possible to get lights there but it would take someone/s to step up and fundraise for it. Also something to think about with lights is that the columns will throw off some funky shadows so it would take alot of practical planning to get it right.

And i personally don't like the ideas of lights on the North side. There is a bunch of funky lights that illuminates the palm tree art thing. i think people who want to ride at night should invest in helmet lights, as i dont see them putting lights in for years, more likely never.

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
For all you Colonnade riders please, please, take the time to find a hose and water down anything that looks dry, especally the expert jump line because all the lips and landings are dirt parts of them will just crumble if they dont see water for a long period of time. Even shut down the line for a 1/2 hour if you need to. I know I have said it over and over again on this board but it would go a long ways in mantaining the line as I am not there every week like I used to when it was being constructed.

I am going to try and fix certain parts with cement when I get the time, such as the landing for the hip.

-Thanks

-Kim

BTW - anyone know who the girl/woman/chick (pick your favorite feminine pronoun) was up there last weekend that was celebrating her birthday and passing out cupcakes? Way cool to see some ladies up there hittin' the jumps and drops. A woman who celebrates her birthday by going riding at colonnade.... right on!
I forgot to introduce myself, greetings from the guy on the Karpiel!
Hope my wife steps up and rides some of the lines like these gals did....

Chip Albright
Kat was the b-day girl, Carmie and I were the other two. I may consider a Colonnade b-day if Alpental and/or Baker aren't open yet ;-)

Everyone else has already answered your other question :-)

DaKahuna

Chimp
Jul 27, 2003
Lake Elsinore, CA
Kat was the b-day girl, Carmie and I were the other two. I may consider a Colonnade b-day if Alpental and/or Baker aren't open yet ;-)

Everyone else has already answered your other question :-)
Thanks for the reply, I'll make sure to introduce myself next time.

I didn't make it out there this past weekend, any reports of how the rain affected things?

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Several of us spent the majority of Saturday out there. The weather sucked, but the lines were all flowing real good-like. The wind wasn't a big factor on the K Line, but it was a little stiff rolling down the start bridge into the smaller jumps...kind of slowed you down a bit. There were a few dust-storms when huge gusts of wind picked up, but that will likely decrease once some vegetation takes over. The only ill-effects from the weather was a smaller tree getting blown down along the small wallride thingy just above the drops. We moved the debris and all was well.

Some of the lines never see a drop of water, so it's good to bust out the provided hoses when necessary to keep things running solid.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Have you ever done the collonade- on weeeeeeed???

sorry, I couldn't resist. :)

Dave_Schuldt

Monkey
Jun 13, 2004
Seattle
I watered the pump track today and untangled and stacked the hose. Some of the humps are getting beat down and will need some love. Please take some time to put the hose away neatly it's a real mess when tangled.

methodman

Chimp
Nov 12, 2008
Wa State
The lights that they have set up there are security lights and don't offer any decent amount of lighting for night riding.

My experience in the rain there has been anything under cover is fine but I made the mistake of riding with clipless (like I always do) and found myself using my pedals as a stomp pad to get all the mud that was stuck on my cleats off. Kind of a pain and the last time I'll wear them when its raining. Im lookin forward to riding there a lot more now that all the other trails are getting trashed with the weather!