Quantcast

Colonnade problems

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Wanted to get the word out on some problems that aren't a big deal now, but could turn into major problems if not corrected.

Firstly there was some damage to the drainage at the pump track. Mike Wad works all week at Center Cycle then spends all weekend to do the pump track. Nobody but Mike Westra get's paid to do work at Colonnade, so don't ride the pump track and make more work for him and others before it's finished. Unless you're extremely careful, and leave it just like you found it, if not just stay off it.

Give some time for stuff to be finished. Some of the new stuff at the park can be ridden, walk it and check it out first. Make sure you won't do damage to the trail or to yourself before you hit it.

Also there is a jump and junky little stunts down next to The Learning Trail. These are going to go away soon, and i'll tell you why.

The teeter totters were built for examples only, and were not meant to be part of the park. i'm going to build 2 teeter totters that should take their place. Once they are done i encourage everyone to ride them instead. i'm hoping to have one complete tomorrow.

The jump is in an area that is not meant for us to have trails in. It's bootleg stuff that this park is supposed to be an example of going against. We now have real jumps, there is no reason to bootleg. Also i was working last week and a kid took a spill on the truss joist (a wooden I beam made from particle wood) that was being used as an approach to the jump. What if that kid broke his arm and his mom decided to sue the city.

We all can't afford to be lax on this stuff. Leave building materials alone if you're not involved with a work party.

We got to stop rickety half ass builds from here on out. i've talked with Mike Westra and he agrees. We're all really busy out there people, we don't have time to cover all the bases, so we really need your help on this kinda stuff.

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
This whole pump track thing confuses me. The few times I was there lately the pump track had a guard rail over only 2 of the humps in the track To me that means you can ride everything but the 2 humps. If they don't want people to ride it they should tape it off and/or put a sign up, somthing like: "Out of respect to the builders please don't ride the pump track"

I am guessing some little kids built those little dinky jumps.
Whats the new wood frame thing in the learning area going to be?

Phase 2 is coming along nicely, 3 wall rides in the works already.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
This whole pump track thing confuses me. The few times I was there lately the pump track had a guard rail over only 2 of the humps in the track To me that means you can ride everything but the 2 humps. If they don't want people to ride it they should tape it off and/or put a sign up, somthing like: "Out of respect to the builders please don't ride the pump track"
i'm not saying it's closed per se, i'm asking people to be careful around it until it get's done. If you can ride something without tearing it up, the world will be a happy place.

Most important thing just check things out first, so as to not tear it up. There is no real way to enforce this, so i'm just getting the word out, and hoping that should be fine.

I am guessing some little kids built those little dinky jumps.
Whats the new wood frame thing in the learning area going to be?
Probably, it's something we cannot have before people think you can build here unless you're cleared to build. Which simply means join a club work party. We've been pretty impartial to it, but we really need to put a stop to it before it actually becomes a problem.

The feature is done, and is an idea that Mike Westra had. But he just wanted a straight wooden structure that was bumpy. Just to teach people how to get out of the saddle(Just like a pump track). So i decided to tweak it by making it a corner. i had Joel L create it because he's a much faster carpenter than me. It's an undulating, insloped, corner structure. You look at it and it doesn't seem like much but it's pretty tough to ride, especially if you're a beginner. Ooops haha.

BUT i like it. i'm going to make a go-around for beginners to bypass it. i really think beginners are still going to enjoy it, it's not high consequence at all. It feels like riding a corner when you're drunk haha. The idea was a Roller Coaster Corner, but now i guess after it's done it's now a Drunken Charlie Corner.

That's the stuff you get when you create stuff that nobody has tried. But even though this is a surprise, i enjoy it, and i think that it's turned out to be a great practice corner.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Hello, i killed the bootleg jumps. Still need a little work to clean up the mess.

Don't waste my time, your time, our time re-building them please.

As everyone knows the official jump lines are still being built and help is needed to complete them.

Also people need to keep off the new teeter totters at the Learning Trail until we succesfully sound proof them as the neighbors were woken up by someone riding or walking on them after hours. Hopefully that will be solved this weekend.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Also people need to keep off the new teeter totters at the Learning Trail until we succesfully sound proof them as the neighbors were woken up by someone riding or walking on them after hours. Hopefully that will be solved this weekend.
Problem fixed, everything is on the up and up at the park.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Just curious...how do you sound proof a teeter? Rubber or something?
Yah in most cases you could just use some old tires. i went a different route, but i plan on cutting some car tires attaching them to some wood and planting them on the ground for the teeter to hit on.

The sound would echo off the freeway deck above too, so i had to do something real different. But most of the time a tire attached to the teeter totter would work.

Check out what i did here...

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195210