Quantcast

Colonnade (The untold tales)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
This is a quick story of a handful of folk who have made notable commitment and are integral volunteers to the success of Colonnade Mountain Bike Skills Park in Seattle Washington.

Mike Wad has been a longtime mountain biker, DH racer, and has been responsible for various projects hidden deep in the forest of the Puget Sound region. Him and his pals have put in hundreds of hours on the recently completed Pump Track at Colonnade.

Note the painstaking work involved to create a subtle slope. The water evenly flowing allowing for some of the dry sifty dirt underneath the freeway canopy to benefit from the water as it makes it's way to the drain.

A true journeyman trail builder, an outstanding example of the success of advocacy in allowing opportunities that benefit the community. In a local history where riding opportunities dried up, the alternative was to build suitable trails that followed the trends of high challenge mountain biking.
With parks like Colonnade it is but one hope that it will bring more opportunities for builders to create legal and sustainable trails, jumps, and tracks. And as many years go by, legitimizing what is now illegitimate.

Truly beautiful and more importantly, functional.

The work is never done as i take a quick second to highlight another major contributer to Colonnade. Joel L stumbled upon Colonnade after he and his wife decided to give mountain biking a whirl. Joel had ridden in the past and they were looking to share a recreational pastime together.

Aren't we fortunate for that decision. Donating material and invaluable carpentry experience him and Sarah have had a hand in many a project.

Joel 2nd from the left on the elevated structure line.

Rock... ugh... My personal least favorite material to build with. Unlike wood which will allow for alteration, rock is pretty uncooperative if not nestled perfectly. Almost as if it would say to a builder, "yah i'm heavy, so what if i don't fit here, deal with it!"

This particular rock trail is simply outstanding work in my view. Not only is it aesthetically pristine, looking much like a dry falls. But the vast options in reading and choosing a line will make for a trail that can be ridden almost never the same way twice.

Chuck and Tanya came onto the scene just as we were finishing the Limestone Loop. With most all the rock work complete perhaps they were unaware of how arduous the labor is. But getting closer to being 75% complete with the trail, the work they have completed is simply outstanding.

Tanya provides the brains, as Chuck provides the brawn, an awesome couple joined perfectly to create a fun old school DH chunky run. Kudos!

These unsung bikey heroes are like all of us that toil on the trails. Be it for high profile projects or clearing trail of obstructions in relative anonymity. Although they all to me will hold a special favor in sharing duty of this park. The positive repurcussions already being felt, helping advance mountain biking opportunities local and abroad, even before fully complete.

Please help and support us, any way you can. As we are helping and supporting you.