Quantcast

Color scanners

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I just got a Canon 8400F it is quiet, fast and produces beautiful images. Especially when scanning slides and negatives.

Be careful when choosing a CIS based scanner. they are cheaper, powered by USB and portable but the image when compared to a CCD is not as good.

Tenchiro said:
I just got a Canon 8400F it is quiet, fast and produces beautiful images. Especially when scanning slides and negatives.

Be careful when choosing a CIS based scanner. they are cheaper, powered by USB and portable but the image when compared to a CCD is not as good.
cool - I picked that one out first but I started to look around at other models.

What is CIS and CCD?

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Stolen from http://www.viewz.ca/shoppingguide/scanprint.htm ;

Most scanners use CCDs but some newer scanners use CIS (Contact Image Sensor) technology. With a CCD scanner, the light reflected from the original document passes through a system of mirrors and lenses which redirect the light to the CCD array. In a CIS scanner, the array of image sensors lies just under the document to be scanned so the sensors catch the reflected light directly. Since CIS scanners don't need a complex optical system they are cheaper to manufacture, smaller and more durable. They are well suited to cramped desktops and make useful portable scanners.

The sensors in a CIS array contain on-board logic for producing digital images and consume less power than CCDs. However, this on-board logic uses space that would normally be used for light sensing. This results in lower quality scans so most people forgo the slight savings of CIS and buy CCD scanners.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
MtnBikerChk said:
1 more question - why is newegg so much cheaper than buy.com?

:)
I don't have a lot to add on scanners since it's not something I've researched much but like Tench, I find NewEgg has great prices and great service. I've bought a LOT of parts from them over the years.

In the past year, I've had two returns due to a defective part, and one that was a return due to me ordering an incorrect part for my needs. Two of the returns were completely automated and totally hassle free. The third (I ordered some software and it showed up shrinkwrapped but missing a CD, so it was a mfr. error) was handled over email by a friendly sales guy who told me to keep the software and he'd just credit my card immediately. A couple phone calls I've made to them have been answered quickly and by friendly people.

Good place to do business. As far as the price difference goes, well, sometimes buy.com is cheaper for certain parts. I usually check both of them before ordering. I also check Outpost.com for a price comparison.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Tenchiro said:
I do alot of shopping at www.tigerdirect.com also. They have some good bundles and are almost as cheap.
Um, Tigerdirect is okay a lot of the time, but I've had a bunch of people receive DOA computers from them, and their rebates are absolutely notorious for never coming in.

So, YMMV but I don't order from them anymore. I gave them some business around 98/99 and made a bunch of recommendations to people because their computer bundles were unbelievably cheap, but their quality seems to have gone downhill.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Sometimes Amazon has decent deals and often the shipping is free.

Especially great for large items like monitors, speakers, etc where shipping cost determine the cheapest online often.

Buy.com is sometimes cheapest too, really depends on the item.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
binary visions said:
Um, Tigerdirect is okay a lot of the time, but I've had a bunch of people receive DOA computers from them, and their rebates are absolutely notorious for never coming in.

So, YMMV but I don't order from them anymore. I gave them some business around 98/99 and made a bunch of recommendations to people because their computer bundles were unbelievably cheap, but their quality seems to have gone downhill.
I oredered a barebones system and with a DVD from them for a friend a couple of years ago and it was all good.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
MtnBikerChk said:
well I only scanned 1 thing just to see if it works before I take it home (had it shipped to work)

LOL - I love it!
Image fixed, welcome new Newegg customer :D