Quantcast

Colorado - DH in late Sept/Early Oct.

simontac

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
Hi,

I will be in Colorado Springs from Sept 22nd to Oct 9th, 2013.

I am from eastern Canada (Toronto) and I have never been to Colorado - and can't see being back in the near future - so I want to ride AS MUCH as possible (work 8-4 during the day). Evenings, and all day Sun 29th, Sat 5, Sun 6th. From what I can see - all the DH places (Keystone, Trestle, others - will be closed by Sept 29th...

Looks like only Angel Fire is open for DH during this time (Sun 29th) so I might rent a car and make the long trek down there... Any input on Angelfire?

Back to original questions. Colorado Springs - good riding around that I could hit up during the evenings/night. I am a capable evening/night rider (compete in several night races in the eastern parts) - but lets be honest - we don't have 'mountains' or elevation like the rockies!! We ride our best out here - but these are little hills to those in Colorado/west.

I'll probably bring my HD all mountain/6X6" bike. Built up low and slack and strong for most all DH (race Whiteface/Snowshoe/Mountain Creek/ Bromont in the east with it.

Also - looking to do some 'EPIC' Colorado rides on the Sat 5th and Sun 6th.... I will be mobile with a car from Fri Oct 4th evening straight through the weekend - and have no problem driving good distances to find something EPIC like I have never done before. Like the 'Monarch Crest' trail - which sounds epic, if not too technically tough. High altitude alpine riding sounds incredible - problem is it sounds like high alpine trails might not be rideable come October??

So can anyone with ride time and experience in Colorado/Colorado Springs give me input.

I have found Captain Jacks, I-35, and a few others in Colorado Springs that sound good and great fun...

Is Angelfire worth the 3+ hr trip? And Keystone/Trestle/Etc - all websites say they will be closed by Late Spetember/Oct.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
It sounds like you've done most of your homework so far.

But, my input is that the Capt Jacks area is great for afternoons/evenings, and a 6"x6" bike will work great. Palmer Park is in the middle of town with all kinds of fun stuff as well.
True high country rides are usually getting snow around then, but if you're lucky, you may be able to ride some. Or, hit up some of the "semi high" rides. If Monarch Crest is still good to go, its worth it. It involves climbing from about 11k to 12k, so be ready for that.

Angelfire is worth the drive, IMO, and the conditions are hero at that time frame also. Sometimes they'll get snow around then, though. AF and I35 are the two places that you'd want the DH bike for. All else would be best on the AM rig.

simontac

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
Thanks MTG.
Sounds awesome. Is Captain Jacks/Palmer Park shuttle locations? I watched a video of I think Captain Jacks, and it looked like they shuttled it?? Or am I wrong. Maybe it was a park halfway location, ride to top, ride down, ride back up to car.
Do you know of groups or bike shops that do evening/night rides out in Palmers or Capt Jacks?
Just YouTube'd Colorado Mountain Biking, and seems like so many places... Barrs trail, Government park or trail....
So, if you had say three full free days (Sun Sept 29th then Sat Oct 5th and Sun 6th) what would you do. I will have a car, and I am not opposed to long travel for GREAT riding. I can always leave the night before my free days and grab a motel in the final destinations area. Quite used to long travel for good riding out here. Frequently have 5+ hour drives for great (East Coast) DH.
Do I just drive to Durango or Fruita or another destination on the 5th/6th??
If you have opinions or advise or just want to name some of your favourite areas/trails in Colorado/CS I will look them up.
This is my one chance probably to get to play in what I have read to be "Americas Outdoor Playground State"!!

simontac

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
Oh and Angelfire sounds great... I think I MUST go on Sunday 29th Sept.
Any CS riders need a ride - think I will be leaving at 5-6am!!

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I would bring the DH bike for I35 and Angel Fire, all mountain bike for everything else.
Captain Jacks area is all trail bike stuff, but there is a shuttle route up there that's pretty cool: Jones Park downhill. Its still recommended to bring the trail bike for that, as there's still a fair bit of pedalling, but its around 20 miles long, drops around 3k -4k feet, and goes through the Capt Jacks area.