Quantcast

Colorado DH Resorts

simontac

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
Hello,

I will be spending 2 or 3 weeks in the late summer in Colorado Springs for work. Will be bringing my bike/bikes for sure.
I should be able to get 2 or 3 DH specific days, so with limited time, which resorts should I hit? Trestle Bike Park seems to have positive reviews. Keystone? Others??
And anyone with familiarity of Colorado Springs (or close) with insider trail info, reply here or pm me. I will have a car, and plan on riding every night (even if just for a few hours - from what I can see the area has SO much to see and ride, especially for an eastern Canada guy who has never been to this part of the US (or any part of US other than Eastern seaboard). I just want to make the most of my limited time there...
Lots of time left I know, but just very eager and excited!!
Only stipulation, no spandex/22lb carbon racer boy - is a requirement. I don't mind pedaling, or even good climbs - but that is not my must have (its sometimes a requirement to get to the good stuff though I know).

Thanks
Simon

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Consider 1 day each at Winter Park, Keystone, and Sol Vista. They're all within an hour of each other and 2 - 2 1/2 hours from C Springs. You might wanna plan some big rides in the Breckenridge area too (next to Keystone) if you can tolerate long climbs in exchange for long DHs in epic high altitude mountain pass environments. I'd do those with you but I wear lycra for XC rides, am definitely a racer boy, and my two AM bikes check in at 25 & 29lb which is dangerously close to your cut-off.

Last edited:

simontac

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
Lelandjt...
Man my problem is I don't want to be laped by guys on uphills! No offense. Just definitely not in the xc scene... I wish I had an AM bike in the mid 20's that could stand up to a hack and Clydesdale like myself.

Thanks for all your info, I will look into your info, and I appreciate it! And happy to have a guide - even one in spandex (kidding) as long as they don't mind riding slower than the hack in baggies and a dirt bucket.

jasonvelocity

Monkey
Aug 26, 2008
Palmer Lake, CO
Doesn't every ride have the same climb as descent?

Most of the riding in city limits is up and down undulations, and can be technical. Once you get to the west, the hills are steeper but the descents are worth it. You can also head south to smooth trails in Pueblo or north to technical trails full of rolling rocks. We have a little of everything.

EDIT:

If you need to plan your finances, here is the information I collect each year. It is a mix of fact, speculation, and projections:
http://forums.mtbr.com/colorado-front-range/2013-bike-park-pricing-opening-dates-843917.html

Last edited:

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
I was in Denver visiting a friend we went to Colorado Springs I rented a specialized pitch from, I think consortium bikes and we rode pikes peak. Pedaled up the first time was totally worth the effort and gave a guy in a pick up $10 to shuttle us up again. IMO it's worth finding very long ride down

reidhresko

Chimp
Jun 27, 2006
PRB
There are some very cool DH trails that are shuttleable in the Springs, but you are going to have to find people to show them to you. You will not find them on your own. Ride Trestle for sure, but Sol Vista (if you have your man pants on) is rad. Keystone is a bit more old school, but worth a day. Vail, I also think is worth a day.

From the springs, if you have your weekends free, you should make the drive down to Telluride to check out a killer spot, with pretty good DH trails and a free gondola. Plenty of beautiful places to camp in teh area as well.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
You rented from Criterium Bicycles, one of our many reputable Specialized dealers. If you can catch a ride up Pikes Peak that makes for a veeery long ride down :)
Yes pikes was fun we went from the upper parking to the very top then down

I'm guessing you know my buddy if you race for mojo he lives close to their and I think went to whistler with you guys

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
I liked keystone and sol vista the best. keystone is bumpy and fast, and sol vista is sandy with HUGE jumps. sol vista is actually one of the best uses of a hill I wouldnt even consider visiting in the winter. winter park was kinda novice IIRC and vail didn't have much in the way of trails. that all may have changed since I was there(2007ish).
I don't know if it is around anymore but there used to be some sweet jumps in silverthorne/dillon area called mario land that were super fun. could ask around with some locals.

Last edited: