Quantcast

Colorado downhill scene - been 10 years

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
My son and I are heading to Summit County next week and looking to ride. It's been a decade since we've been out there riding Trestle, Keystone and Copper. Much changed in the past 10 years? I assume Trestle is still well maintained. For reference we're New England Highland riders, haven't really been anywhere else other than Thunder in a long time.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
It just got bigger and nastier and faster. But that could also be tech allowing for that.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Trestle definitely closest to Highland type trails, Keystone as stated by others for more raw DH.

I don't even know if Copper has lift assisted riding currently, it's certainly not a current DH destination.

Your only other choice is Granby Ranch formally aka Sol Vista. But I head to Trestle or Keystone before Granby.

Last edited:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I haven’t ridden a DH bike since 2016, maybe 2015, so I’m not much help on quality of trails at any of the parks these days.

But it’s probably worth mentioning that Steamboat, Powderhorn, and Snowmass have all been actively building bike park infrastructure and trails in the last 5+ years. I even hear Purgatory is doing lift-served these days. Again, no idea what the trails are like. And finally, Momentum Trail Concepts has been building and maintaining and fixing trails at Vail the past couple of summers. They’re the guys who really built SolVista back in the day, when it was the best actual DH in the state. IMHO of course. YMMV.

Edit to add: Powderhorn, Snowmass, and Purg might be a bit far if you’re basing out of Summit. But Steamboat wouldn’t be too much further of a drive than Trestle and last time I was there they were finishing up one of the funnest jump trails I’ve ridden in the state. And actually, Snowmass wouldn’t be that far either.

Last edited:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
My personal favs in the summit area are Vail, Keystone, Sol Vista.

Unlike Full "Paper Sack" Trucker, I've been to all three of the above areas this season.

I do love me some Steamboat too. But it's a bit further away for me.

Not sure the skill level of your kid, but Trestle/WP is good for kids. And if you wear your body armor over your clothes, you'd fit in perfectly.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
My personal favs in the summit area are Vail
Do they run the lifts and have sufficient trails if riding a DH bike? (not looking for double-blacks but on DH bikes we wouldn't be looking to pedal up)

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Do they run the lifts and have sufficient trails if riding a DH bike? (not looking for double-blacks but on DH bikes we wouldn't be looking to pedal up)

Dude, they have 2 lifts (gondolas) that run nowadays. Although only the Lionshead gondi takes you to the black trails.

DH Bike worthy? Hmm...I'd say yes, on the black trails. But still can be done on trail bike. So not super gnar. Although Old 9 will make you pucker a few times.

Give it a shot. The red dirt, aspens, and European MILFs alone make it worth it.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Dude, they have 2 lifts (gondolas) that run nowadays. Although only the Lionshead gondi takes you to the black trails.

DH Bike worthy? Hmm...I'd say yes, on the black trails. But still can be done on trail bike. So not super gnar. Although Old 9 will make you pucker a few times.

Give it a shot. The red dirt, aspens, and European MILFs alone make it worth it.
Thanks, DH shock had to go in for service. Fingers crossed it's back soon enough that we can give it a try this season.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
First year since like 2000 that I didn't ride a chairlift and I live 15 minutes from Keystone. I don't wanna say CO DH is dead but it's definitely on the back burner compared to backcountry descents. Not just me but the general population seems more inclined to pedal an enduro bike up to the mountain passes instead of riding resorts. Next year hopefully I'll get a few days on the lifts.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
First year since like 2000 that I didn't ride a chairlift and I live 15 minutes from Keystone. I don't wanna say CO DH is dead but it's definitely on the back burner compared to backcountry descents. Not just me but the general population seems more inclined to pedal an enduro bike up to the mountain passes instead of riding resorts. Next year hopefully I'll get a few days on the lifts.
Well have you even seen what these E-bikes are capable of!