Quantcast

Colorado Monkeys

Dirtrider

noah
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
Wife will be in Colorado for work in June so me a another biking couple are planning on meeting her to do some riding. I’ve ridden all over Colorado over the years, but never in CB for some reason. Anyway my dilemma may be the timing and snow pack. Our plan was to spend our time in CB from June 14-20 and I’m afraid snow levels may prohibit riding the higher classics like 401, 403, Teocali, etc that early. Historically it looks like July is the proper time to do those. Has the area gotten hammered with snow so far this year? I know there are a lot of other trails in the area, but wife really wants to do 401 if we do CB..Otherwise we may just hit Fruita/GJ again...

Thanks internet friends!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
We're about average for snowpack this year so far. But... yeah - keep an eye on it. Anything can happen between now and mid-June.

Worst case - you do 401 as an out-n-back - which isn't really a terribly option. Most of it faces west and SW, so a lot of it should be g2g.

Also - you should have your sights set on Teocalli, some of the shit up in Cement Creek, and, of course, Dr. Park. Don't get me wrong - 401 is fun... but those others are WAY funnererer.

Oh - and for the *straight* scoop, reference this trail guide: https://14erskiers.com/blog/crested-butte-mountain-bike-guide/

Frank knows his shit. If he says a trail is good... go ride it.

Oh - and Fruit/GJ is TOO HOT in mid-June. Don't do it. :D

Last edited: