Quantcast

Colorado Monkeys

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Wowzers, this thread delivers! There's even a Kidwoo-BV slappy fight! :clapping:

All the Pataguccifarians that have fucked up 'Woo's part of the world have done some damage, but personally I think it's totally reasonable to include food and drink options on a long list of factors to consider when evaluating places to live. That's just a personal thing and it feels like a leap to go from that to calling someone an entitled elitist. I'm not hearing BV demanding more restaurants everywhere, he's just saying that if there are none, it would be part of the discussion. If it doesn't matter to someone, then it doesn't need to factor into their decision. Same way someone without kids probably doesn't care about schools even though that will be important to others. Same way someone who doesn't ride bikes (gasp) doesn't care about the local trail system (double gasp).

Anyways, I don't think any single place is the perfect blend, but it's cool to hear the different perspectives here.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle

"In general fish has to be frozen for at least 15 hours in the US before being eaten raw to kill parasites according to the FDA (see details above). However, these rules don’t apply to all fish. Still, most “fresh fish” that is “sushi grade” has actually been frozen first in practice. This does have a slight impact on taste, but more importantly it ensures against parasites."

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Before the freezing legislation came into effect, ‘inland’ sushi was often ‘fresher’ (more safe) than coastal areas. In coastal areas, the fish would come off a boat, go to a market, get bought by a distributor, often transported to a central hub, and finally get delivered to the restaurant. Obviously this chain of custody offered many opportunities for proper storage and icing to be delinquent.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
sorry if I missed it in this thread, but what exactly do you do, and how close do you need to be to an airport (if at all)?
I work for an Architecture/Engineering firm, and it's fairly likely that I would continue to work for my current company remotely. I don't need to be close to an airport at all; I've flown exactly twice in my life, both times to Las Vegas for completely unnecessary reasons.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I work for an Architecture/Engineering firm, and it's fairly likely that I would continue to work for my current company remotely. I don't need to be close to an airport at all; I've flown exactly twice in my life, both times to Las Vegas for completely unnecessary reasons.
Art Vandelay I presume?

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Art Vandelay I presume?
Depends on which state I'm standing in. The use of the title "Architect" is highly regulated (unless you work in tech - don't get me started), and you can't use it unless you're licensed in that particular jurisdiction. I usually refrain from using the title unless I really want to impress someone... @WestCoastHucker knows what I'm talking about, if I'm not mistaken.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Depends on which state I'm standing in. The use of the title "Architect" is highly regulated (unless you work in tech - don't get me started), and you can't use it unless you're licensed in that particular jurisdiction. I usually refrain from using the title unless I really want to impress someone... @WestCoastHucker knows what I'm talking about, if I'm not mistaken.
Yeah, I got the title "system architect" on my last project basically because I was responsible for a group of people who couldn't talk to each other.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Yeah, I got the title "system architect" on my last project basically because I was responsible for a group of people who couldn't talk to each other.
I don't hold any personal ill-will towards anybody in tech using the title, moreso the industry itself for co-opting a title that takes many years, many exams, and thousands of logged "intern" hours to earn. That said, the whole thing is very context-dependent, and I shouldn't care. It's not like system architects are competing with me for contracts.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
We will start a title sharing anarcho -collective, growing titles communally, and distributing them to the needy.

You will need a two thirds majority vote on that procedural change.

Or just hope a watery tart lobs some bladed weapon at you.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I don't hold any personal ill-will towards anybody in tech using the title, moreso the industry itself for co-opting a title that takes many years, many exams, and thousands of logged "intern" hours to earn. That said, the whole thing is very context-dependent, and I shouldn't care. It's not like system architects are competing with me for contracts.
I am not in tech and personally never 'used' the title. I was just the angry asshole who yelled at people until they did what I wanted them to do. My manager gave me the title to cover up the fact I was doing his job for him.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
‘Cognitive Dissonance’
agreed

You thanked the rockefeller family, murderers of picket strikers, in another thread and somehow want an anarchist title :D

I'm not much of an ends justify the means kinda guy. Just cuz they did something nice to sweeten the smell of their reputation doesn't mean that was the only way the something nice could have happened. Elon musk tipping the waiter doesn't make him not a douche. I won't be thanking him.

Last edited: