Quantcast

Colorado road trip

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
In a month or so my buddy and I are going to take a road trip around the state of Colorado. It's going to be a 'business' trip, but also a mtn biking/camping trip.

I work in the hop industry and will be visiting as many craft breweries as I can in two weeks. We are going to start in Fruita at the Fat Tire festival and head south to Durango. Then over to Colorado Springs and the front range. We'll spend a night or two in Laramie, WY with some family then bounce back down to Steamboat and head out through Vernal, UT.

The goal is to ride as many trails as we can stuff into the driving and breweries. :thumb:

We'll ride Moab, Fruita, Durango, Vernal. I don't know of much other riding that will be open at the end of April, beginning of May.

Maybe around the Front Range? All the high mountain stuff will be still under snow I am assuming.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Spring is sketchy around here (colorado springs) as far as higher country riding goes, could be great, could be balls deep with snow. Its been pretty warm the last couple weeks or so, if the trend continues you should be golden. Hit me with a pm as you guys get closer maybe I can get away and show you some of my favorites. As far as the "breweries" go in this town, as a former Portlander let me say your kind of SOL. The couple that are in this town are at best only "meh" worthy. Durango has some :drool: worthy breweries though, and some bad ass riding.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
We're going to visit as many breweries as possible, good and bad. There's more than 60 of them in Colorado, so we'll be busy for sure.

I've only explored from Fort Collins down to Boulder, and while they were hip places, I am stoked to head into Western Colorado and see the rest of the state. Durango is high on our list. Ska brewing, Steamworks, Durango Brew Co, and Carver all seem like cool places.

Kannah Creek Brewing Company in Grand Junction has been really cool too. We're hoping to get to ride some of the goods when we get there. We'll be there during the Fat Tire Festival though so I am guessing that all bets are off.

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Kannah Creek is Awesome. I make sure to stop when ever I'm in Junction. The only brewery in Durango I have not hit is Durango Brew Co. All the others are fantastic. Ska has several beers on tap that are not available elsewise. They had a watermelon pale last time I was there that was amazing. Hit me up when you get to the springs and I'll give you the tour.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Yummy beer eh? sounds like a good enough reason. How about the trails?

Thanks Heidi!

We're also looking for some choice camping spots. I've got the back of my pickup to sleep in... but finding a nice place to park the truck is important too.

I'm assuming that we can get away with the the ol' forest service road turnout late sleep-early rise around the mtns of CO?

Last edited:

springsmx

Chimp
Mar 29, 2010
Granby Colorado
Camping shouldn't be a problem at all there are a bunch of camp grounds around the three lakes in or around Grand Lake. As far as trails go it depends on when you would be coming up if you wait till last the more trails will open up. On June 4th Sol Vista will open for lift riding as well.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
yup theyre on the list. two weeks of breweries and bikes... its gonna be fun! Anyone going to be in Fruita for the fat tire festival?

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Dude... the weather sucks today... No riding today.

Taos was pretty freakin cool yesterday though. Got to shralp the horse-thief trail after a wild night out on the Mesa

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Hey, It might be too late, and I don't know your route, but if you are anywhere near either of these I highly recommend a stop. The First is Amicas in Salida. Its good beer and good pizza, how can you go wrong? The second is Shamrock Brewing in Pueblo. The beer is decent and the food is :thumb: When I was in the hospital I had coma/drug dreams about the corned beef and cabbage at the Shamrock. :drool:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Salida seemed like a cool town. Amica's had the first chili beer in a 22 I've seen. We had a good time up at the Eddy Line in Buena Vista too. Doesn't get much better than trails out the front door of the brewery. They were pretty fun to ride though the elevation was brutal.

Were heading down the front range this week. I was thinking about going as far as Pueblo but it'll come down to timing. We've been doing what we can to dodge weather and find places to ride. Cortez and Moab are looking good for end of the week.

So far we've been to maybe 15 breweries and ridden 5 places.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Alright... time for some stats :)

7 States
4600 miles
220 gallons of gas
35 breweries
4 National Parks
9 rides (8 trail rides)
4 pinch flats