Quantcast

Columbia Free Ride Park.....aka Rizzle

Oct 9, 2006
Rizzle Park has been completely destroyed by some unknown persons... a few of us went out there yesterday to ride and found the place in ruins. I know not a lot of people had ridden here due to its secrecy but if you were one of the people who had the chance you knew how fun it was and how much work had been put in to building it. When we got there yesterday, we rode the first stunt(the only one left standing). Got the second line and it was knocked down and broken apart. We made it back to our biggest stunt a set of bridge work that splits at the beginning and each side had about 70 feet of bridge work and at it higher points was ten feet high...not only had the knocked it down they made an effort to break almost EVERY board. On to the rest of the place...they shredded our wall rides, our trail gaps, our step downs and our brand new 6 foot wide platform drop.

Anyhow, just thought I would share. Here is the video I made of the place a little while back. It is a rough cut of the video...I just threw the footage together.

Trilliamiano

Monkey
Oct 7, 2007
Boone, NC
Dang Bro, I feel for ya. those tails looked quality and I can only imagine how many hours your crew put in to build um. RIP Rizzle Park

svenge070

Chimp
Mar 9, 2005
Whats up guys,

I am the other half of the original builder to Rizzle Park. Me and Troy built that place up from basically scratch with Troy doing alot of the gap jumps, landers and drop ins and myself coming up with all the ideas for the Bridge work up in the trees and trails through the trees. Its amazing that a years worth of work can be destroyed in a day or 2. Some of my best times were spent in those woods by myself perched on a 2X4 hammering slats into place and deciding how big I wanted the next bridge to go.

To Answer Bizutch's statement, Yes the trails were built illegally and withouth the permission of the property owner (Norfolk Railroad) since the property serves as a buffer between the neighborhoord, railroad and high voltage power lines. When we built it, the plan was it was going to be our own place to ride and keep on the DL hence missiongravity's statement not many people were ever truly able to ride the place outside of me, Troy, a couple of guys in Columbia and the owner/operator of Freeridesouth.com Andy. Am I upset that they were screwed up, of course I am, but we all knew what we were getting into and we all knew that we had to keep the place DL to ride it longer and longer before it was found.

But aside of all of this ****, I am glad you guys got to ride the place. I wish more people got to go out there. As a builder, you would ride something you created once or twice and get limited enjoyment out of it. The main enjoyment was to see your friends or complete strangers put in a session or 2 and look back at whatever they just rode stunt wise with a **** eatting grin on their face. Its what kept me motivated to haul all the lumber, nails and the 14-16 hour building days during the summer in those woods of Columbia. Like I said above, Some of my best days were in those woods, so I appreciate the love you guys showed for riding it and enjoying the place. Also, thanks for the video. Its cool as **** to see something like this after the fact.

Wolf

Rizzle Park founder/builder
2005-2006

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Wasn't attempting to rain on the parade...just overstating the obvious I guess.

I had to ask since the Clemson crew basicly had the same thing happen to their stuff, only they were authorized to be there.

Either way...sorry it happened. You should buy a mountain and build me a place to ride.

svenge070

Chimp
Mar 9, 2005
No offense taken man. It is what it is when it comes to building illegal trails. People are going to take offense to it and trash them.

As for the Clemson FR trail, there is just no excuse for the bull Sh*t that happened out there. I had a chance to ride it earlier this year when visiting friends and family over there and I can def. say I wish that stuff was around when I went to school at Clemson. Those guys busted their A** to build that with limited funds available.

As for the mountain.......ill let you know.

That really sucks man! I know the pain you are feeling. I've been building a spot and have 16 stunts built. It's been a 10 month project so far and I've had help from one friend, but he has not had a lot of time to help. It's a lot of work cutting the trails, getting the footings in, carrying the friggin wood in, hammering everything together especially before it's all stable, and digging, digging, digging. I'd be pretty pissed if my spot got torn down, but I'm sure one day it's going too as I'm in the same situation as you on private land.

Good luck rebuilding or finding a new spot.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Butch, know any that are for sale?
There have been 3 monstrous mountains in Asheville bought over the past several years...only they were all by Jim Anthony...and he didn't put bike parks...just golf courses.

Now the most massive mountain I've watched since I first got a license and burn it down I40....he owns and is sticking Tiger's Woods golf course on it...whoopee.:disgust1:

If anyone named McFly has an old sports car and feels like going back in time and offing that bastard, I'll pay for your fuel!:think:

www.cliffscommunities.com

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
There have been 3 monstrous mountains in Asheville bought over the past several years...only they were all by Jim Anthony...and he didn't put bike parks...just golf courses.

Now the most massive mountain I've watched since I first got a license and burn it down I40....he owns and is sticking Tiger's Woods golf course on it...whoopee.:disgust1:

If anyone named McFly has an old sports car and feels like going back in time and offing that bastard, I'll pay for your fuel!:think:

www.cliffscommunities.com

I see where you're coming from but it would be somehow ironic for me to hate:disgust:

at least there are "nature trails"

Seriously though that new development is totally unnecessary. Dude's loaded already. At least he devotes a lot of money to sustainability and leaves a ton of green space. I'd say maybe 30% of the Valley is developed.

Sucks about your trails guys. I've lost lots of great spots.

Streamline

Spammer Extraordinaire
Jul 9, 2007
Sorry to hear about the loss guys. I am in the planning stages of building something but it is on my own land. But, if someone were to rip it down I would be livid. Looked like a great spot and the area really needs more like it.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Ok, so I dont play golf, but how the frigg do you golf on a mountain!!! You know the whole gravity/ ball rollin downhill thing:O
You level the **** out of one of the nicest sections of the I40 corridor - right in the shadows of Mt Mitchell. I don't think responsible development is bad but this guy is anything but.

I agree with you guys that it sucks that Anthony is developing all the mountain property he can get his hands on. Most of the developers I know are not to concerned about what happens to the surrounding area aside from whatever it takes to keep the area looking good enough until they can get out of the project.

We do need to find a way to save more land, especially in the mountains. The problem is that we have developers like this guy who have 6 lawyers on the payroll to make sure he does things by the book. In addition, Anthony has the coin to keep senators and congressman in his pocket.

Being in a recession right now and still seeing a lot of development makes me worry for the next big real estate wave for our area. More and more people are moving to this part of the country and when the economy picks back up i think you are going to see unprecedented amounts of new development, especially in the mountains. I know of 5 developers who currently have mountain projects from Banner Elk to Asheville and in between. With the Fed dropping rates today it signals the beginning of the end of the recession to me. As rates continue to fall we will see a lot of refinancing going on both commercially and on the consumer/residential side. That along with continued rate cuts will spark the economy and by 2009 all the current developers and every tom, dick, and harry who thinks they want to be a developer will be buying land and tearing the trees down.

I feel like there is a good balance between healthy development/ economic prosperity and saving enough of our natural resources including mountain forest land. The problem is that not enough of us are involved on the "good side" and the "bad guys" have all the money. Don't get me wrong though, I make my living off some of these developers as I bet a lot of you do in some form or another. In addition, real estate transactions in one form or another have also helped our economy in this region prosper. We obviously don't want to stop all development, just stop it in certain areas of the region.

If you want to save some area of the mountains then find a way to get involved now. It will be to late by the time you here that so in so bought such in such land and plans this project.

Holy sh!t, i sure can ramble on. Anybody else feel this way/have any ideas on how we can fix it.

Trilliamiano

Monkey
Oct 7, 2007
Boone, NC
Dude, I'm right with ya, but like you said the "bad guys" have all the money. Apparently there's gonna be some logging to go along with the development that's poppin up in the globe forest in blowing rock. I've had lots of fun in those woods and I hate to see the long arm of development reeling in such pristine mountain land

fruxigesan

Chimp
Apr 30, 2013
Hey,
Its really bad news because Rizzle Park was a good place for the ride and Me and my friends make plan for the ride in Columbia but i know only Rizzle Park.if any body know another park for the ride in the Columbia. please post a message..