Quantcast

Columbus day?! what's that about?

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
It's a day to celebrate the dude who oppressed and exploited the native people of our country (which he found by acicdent). Duh!

I had the day off though, so I can't complain too much :rolleyes:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
bluebug32 said:
It's a day to celebrate the dude who oppressed and exploited the native people of our country (which he found by acicdent). Duh!

And let's not forget theat the Norse ("Viking" is something they did, not who they were.) made it to North America hundreds of years before Columbus. In smaller boats, no less!

I am down with ya on the day off though. I get it as a floater... I can take it whenever I want.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
bluebug32 said:

Columbus Day is a scam! It seems that less and less people are getting the day off--banks and the postal service are the only ones I know at this point.

I think 4 more of us should ride our bikes into woods, and say that we found a new country, that way people can get the rest of the week off...

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
splat said:
Yea, but look at all he got for his efforts , a Small country in South Americas named after him and a City in Ohio.

and Besides the Vikings, the Chinese were also Probably on the west coast also before Columbus
Well, he did get some cash out of the deal, and a bit of fame.

Chinese, eh? That's a good point that I haven't thought about before. They were highly advanced at that point and could have made it. I'm gonna have to do a little research now. The Norse were definetly there, though.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Dirt Jumper said:
Actually, this isn't the actual Columbus day. We just celebrate it on this day.
So now they're lying to us about holidays!?! Next thing you know we'll all find out there's no Santa Clause!!! Dang government! It's all N8's fault I tell ya!

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
blt2ride said:
Columbus Day is a scam! It seems that less and less people are getting the day off--banks and the postal service are the only ones I know at this point.

I think 4 more of us should ride our bikes into woods, and say that we found a new country, that way people can get the rest of the week off...
I most definitely did not get a break from classes :mumble:

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Ciaran said:
Chinese, eh? That's a good point that I haven't thought about before. They were highly advanced at that point and could have made it. I'm gonna have to do a little research now. The Norse were definetly there, though.

check out the chinese treasure fleet

todbanner

Chimp
Mar 7, 2005
I'd like to bump this back to the top! I'm still pissed!

didn't even get to pick it up today!!!!!

:mumble: :nope: <-- take that!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! no truckie for you!

I will say that I checked out that Chinese Treasure Fleet that Wumpus suggested. Dang! The chinese were seriously advanced sailors and ship builders. It's too bad that they stopped.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Ciaran said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! no truckie for you!

I will say that I checked out that Chinese Treasure Fleet that Wumpus suggested. Dang! The chinese were seriously advanced sailors and ship builders. It's too bad that they stopped.
They were invaded by the cruel warlords of tibet. They had no choice but to focus their resources.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
splat said:
and Besides the Vikings, the Chinese were also Probably on the west coast also before Columbus
getting a head start on that railroad, no doubt. How industrious...