Quantcast

Comeback or mid-life crisis

dmvprof

Chimp
Jun 12, 2002
Georgia
Hi,

I'm an old dude...48 to be precise. I rode a lot then quit and now wanting to get back in it. I know, I know. call it a midlife crisis...but its better than buying a corvette.

My old bike...the 2001 Jamis in the pics here is still 100% functional, but when I took it out on some local rooted trails I kept fantasizing about more rear travel. So I found a different bike... A 2009 Ellsworth Moment (pictured). When I was racing XC and riding a lot, Ellsworth was always something I wished I could afford. And seemed so plush. But the Jamis was economical and worked for me to an extent.

I quit being an avid Mountain biker in 2004 and went to doing it maybe two or three times a year...whenever I an opportunity just shoved itself in my face. But now that I'm pushing 50...I'm trying to cling to the glory days.

So I took the Jamis out to some of my old romps and thoroughly enjoyed myself...but hated every root and rock that I had to go over. I went on pinkbike and found the Ellsworthy I've always wanted. The 6" of travel is HEAVEN!!!!!. I don't care that I'm not a DH bomber....having that forgiveness and cushion in the back is an "epiphany" (pardon the pun). My old bones need it. It's about 4 pounds heavier than my Jamis, While the rear suspension seems to handle out of the saddle climbing well, the fork is like a pogo. It has an x-fusion vengeance DLA fork that I've never heard of with a 20mm thru axle. That's my only real complaint.

One concern is that it is a 26" wheel frame,,,, my request is to ponder on the big travel climbing situation and what I can do to mitigate it. I want to ride the North Georgia mountains with 1 hour climbs and switchbacks as efficiently as possible. If the fork had a lockout it'd be perfect...But no. I've shopped around for Fox forks with a comparable fork that has a lockout, but I'm trapped by the front wheel with a 20MM thru axle.

So, any thoughts, criticisms, or even insults are welcome.

Cheers....

Attachments

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
can't tell who makes the front wheel, but have you checked to see if the mfg of the front hub offers a replacement axle kit? if so, then swap the 20 for a 15 to fit Fox. or maybe get a new wheelset or replace the hub

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I am willing to bet that the steerer tube length of your Ellsworth's fork is fairly close to the Jamis' fork plus or minus a spacer and the stack height of your headset. Use the wheel on the Jamis until you get the other fork up and running.