Quantcast

comfortable (wide?) clipless shoes

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i haven't really used clipless shoes since '01 or so, but w/ my spin class i've been back on them. however, the shoes i currently have (some axo's bought on closeout) are not comfortable after 15 minutes...after 40 or so minutes my feet start to get numb. it sucks. i am thinking that the shoe is a bit too narrow.

i used to use Sidis before this, and kinda had the same problem, but it was not nearly as pronounced. i'd rather not spend a ton of $$$ for shoes which won't see a ton of use, but i'd rather have comfy feet too.

any suggestions? i wear a size 8.5/42 (euro).

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
narlus said:
i haven't really used clipless shoes since '01 or so, but w/ my spin class i've been back on them. however, the shoes i currently have (some axo's bought on closeout) are not comfortable after 15 minutes...after 40 or so minutes my feet start to get numb. it sucks. i am thinking that the shoe is a bit too narrow.

i used to use Sidis before this, and kinda had the same problem, but it was not nearly as pronounced. i'd rather not spend a ton of $$$ for shoes which won't see a ton of use, but i'd rather have comfy feet too.

which SIDI? They have a Mega, which I hear is nice and wide.

I've also been thinking about getting new XC shoes as my 5 year old Shimano's have seen better days. I also have a wide feet and I've been suggested the SIDI Lorica in Mega

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
I wear the same size shoes in a "D" width. I've got some Alpinestars offroad shoes that are pretty comfortable, but am not sure they are available any more.
My road shoes are Northwave, and again, pretty comfortable. When I bought the Northwaves, I also tried the standard and mega width Sidis, but found them too narrow and too wide, respectively.

Funny you should mention Axo, because I have a pair of their touring shoes for casual use, and yes, they are pretty narrow.

This is kind of a shot in the dark, but I'd take a look at Specialized. They are marketing shoes made for American feet, and they have a lot of lower priced recreational models.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
narlus said:

Flintstone feet...

justbill

Stunt Humper
Mar 29, 2004
barefoot in the kitchen...
This is a wide shoe that is full lace and the cleats dont hit the floor. Their like wearing slippers their so confy. I had the axo vertigo and yes they were narrow and the stiff sole made hike a bike impossible on rocky surfaces, in fact dabbing on the tech stuff was useless and led to many a fall. These are police issue in most of europe, made by sidi, all leather, and only $25 min bid at Icycles on e-bay or buy now for $40. I have the Crank Bros. MalletC pedals and no problem in or out with the recessed cleat. 1 shoe and you can use the whole gym and not sound like a tap dancer.

Good winter shoe too even with a heavy sock they dont reduce circulation.

If they dont have your size then check with this little lbs in California.
http://www.theped.com/blowout.htm

Attachments

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
i have a pair of norhtwave shoes (dont remember the model) for my wide feet. I had a hard time finding anything that fit, so I was probably in the same boat you are.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
The old Nike cycling shoes have been kind to my wide feet. I can't comment on them since the redesign of the line since the Trek deal. You might be able to get the older ones cheap because of that. I think I paid $25 at my LBS for my last pair.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Tim,

What did you end up getting? The foot I had surgery on (shattered heel) keeps getting numb after long rides. I'll have to get new shoes for trail riding - wide ones.

I hear the new Adidas are pretty nice? I was even thinking of maybe getting softer ones, but it might not be as efficient for long rides.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i got these:

to tell you the truth, i still get some foot pain and discomfort. it might be just because of the way spinning makes you use yr feet; it's more like road biking in that you are always pushing the pedals (no coasting), and you are out of the saddle a good amount too (much more than i'd be riding). so, there is a lot more stress on your feet.

it's usually around the ball of my foot; my heel and outer edge of teh foot is fine (which is an improvement from the AXOs). i've tried orthotics in them, and that made a marginal improvement.

i guess i just gotta suck it up and grit my teeth.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
I'd second lakes. When buying regular shoes I always have to buy wides and the lakes seem to fit me really well, not to mention most of their models come in wide and regular models. O yeah if you try them don't be decieved when you take them out of the box at first, I kind of noticed they appear narrow for some reason, but don't feel it at all.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
DNA said:
The old Nike cycling shoes have been kind to my wide feet. I can't comment on them since the redesign of the line since the Trek deal. You might be able to get the older ones cheap because of that. I think I paid $25 at my LBS for my last pair.
They still seem to be good quality. My feet are a little bigger than average width, size 10-10.5. I had a pair of Pearl Izumis that seemed a bit too narrow but now I mostly use my Nike Ligures. The only problem I had is a little piece of the sole tore, but it's not a huge deal (especially since I got them for free...). I also still have a pair of Nike Yuha Plus shoes that I use occassionally even though I bought them years ago.