Quantcast

Comfy Grips...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
So I've had some hand problems recently. I used Rogues for years, then had issues about 6 months ago... thought I'd switch to something smaller to decrease hand fatigue... didn't work. So I thought I'd go with something softer (foam grips)... and that worked because they were really spongy and soft.

Problem is foam grips move around a lot and wear really fast. Looking at Oury grips, I've never had them on my bike but I know they are crazy soft, really grippy, but also huge, and that's the part I'm not crazy about.

Anyone want to recommend anything else?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
My hands are too small to really like the Rogues...I prefer the Ruffians personally. Maybe your gloves could have more/better padding and go with a thinner grip like the Ruffian for grip (plus they don't move).

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My hands are too small to really like the Rogues...I prefer the Ruffians personally. Maybe your gloves could have more/better padding and go with a thinner grip like the Ruffian for grip (plus they don't move).
:stupid:

I use the Ruffians on all my bikes and a slightly padded glove (gel maybe?) should to the trick. I can't stand anything other than a lock on grip anymore.

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
I've had great luck with ESI silicone grips. I use the "Chunky" size, but they make a thinner one, too. Or you could try some gel padding under some roadie bar tape.
- Joe

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I just don't think you'll find a grip that's comfy yet thin. Ruffians will be the thinnest and OURI grips will be the comfiest. I use them both - ruffians on the DH and lock on ouris on the trail.

So I've had some hand problems recently. I used Rogues for years, then had issues about 6 months ago... thought I'd switch to something smaller to decrease hand fatigue... didn't work. So I thought I'd go with something softer (foam grips)... and that worked because they were really spongy and soft.

Problem is foam grips move around a lot and wear really fast. Looking at Oury grips, I've never had them on my bike but I know they are crazy soft, really grippy, but also huge, and that's the part I'm not crazy about.

Anyone want to recommend anything else?
Yards and yards of duct tape. It can also be used to fashion gloves.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I run Oury grips on the dirt bike and had some lock on's on the last build I did before switching them out for the Ruffians.

Not to derail, but I have yet to get an answer as to WHY THE F@CK don't they make moto grips lock on? I hate when my grips move and if you get them to stay in place, god help you getting them off ever.

igz-

Monkey
Nov 30, 2008
Santa Cruz
I ride gloveless, always have, always will.

Only grip I run is Lizard Skin Peaty's. Best grips ever in my opinion... Softer and easier on the hands than Ruffians (although Ruffians are AMAZING when worn in) Give the Peaty's a shot :thumb:

Reppin Peaty's for Whistler

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Try losing the padded glove and run the ouray or rogues.
Ditching padded gloves was a huge improvement for my hands, it never felt natural.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Ourys might be worth a shot...too big for me, but they are soft and feel pretty good.

Someone else mentioned ESI grips. I think those might be your best bet. They seem to be gaining some popularity and are supposed to be light, softer than rubber, and a bit denser and more durable than foam. I haven't used them, but I've heard lots of good things. If you like foam, then it might be the way to go.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
ESI's are good I have them on one of my bikes and eventually will switch more of my bikes over to them, they absoultely don't move around the bar. Oury's non lock on feel great but slide a lot, lock on Oury's don't feel as good and aren't long enough for me as my hands always are on the clamps...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Here's what I've tried so far and what I thought.

Had some lizard skin grips that I swore by before lock ons came out (cant remember what I used before that). Since then I've had several of the Intense lockons, the ruffian lock ons, rogue lock ons... after years of riding the rogues I started to get some hand problems and went to Specialized BG lock on grip. It was ultra thin and hard as a rock which sucked, then I tried out these Ritchey Foam WCS Grips... they were great and hand pain went totally away, but they wore out really fast and moved around a ton. Finally ripped one and grabbed up some Ritchey Trugrip 6's. Three rides on them and my hands hurt again.

Gona try the oury grips first, if no good then I'm going to switch to the Silicone grips... if that doesnt work I'm going to get some of...

THESE:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Last edited:

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
In my experience, the ESIs last better than twice as long as Ourys (all I have to compare them with). Just know that if you're the type to occasionally remove a grip (I've swapped bars, busted a shifter, and upgraded brakes), they can be a PITA to R&R. But the other side of that coin is that they absolutely do not move or slip.
- Joe

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have had some customers have good luck and relief with Pain and discomfort issues by using the Ergon GX1 grip. I don't care for them. But to qualify I don't have any rides on them either....

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
I run Oury grips on the dirt bike and had some lock on's on the last build I did before switching them out for the Ruffians.

Not to derail, but I have yet to get an answer as to WHY THE F@CK don't they make moto grips lock on? I hate when my grips move and if you get them to stay in place, god help you getting them off ever.
Moose sells lockons that are made by odi. I always thought they were kinda crappy, just from the looks of them.
http://www.mooseracing.com/catalog.jsp?level1=1756&level2=1782&level3=1784&level4=1805&product_group_id=7275
And these but they seem chincy
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/192/4680/ITEM/Pro-Grip-Lock-On-800-Series-Grips.aspx

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
I was talking more streetbike, but the ones from Moose look like they have potential.
Moto usa had a track bike to test in the office a while back. It had lock on grips. They werent the normal odi type. They were a fancy billet end cap system kinda like barplugs. I couldnt figure out how they work. I wanted to take pics but the honda guys were cool with it.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Moto usa had a track bike to test in the office a while back. It had lock on grips. They werent the normal odi type. They were a fancy billet end cap system kinda like barplugs. I couldnt figure out how they work. I wanted to take pics but the honda guys were cool with it.
See, I couldn't use those because I run bar end mirrors and the R1 had sliders. I just want the regular ODI style, but it seems like they think it's not cost effective because the right would be a different size than the left to fit over the throttle.

The Rizoma grips were the closest I could find.