Quantcast

comin to asheville...

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
im coming out to asheville aug 11-14 to check out the area and wanted a little insight...i'd like to camp for a couple days and wanted an idea of where to go. Id like to be relatively close to water maybe even a campsite next to a running creek as its gonna be hot. Id also like to be able to ride from my campsite for some shorter 3-4 hour rides as my lady doesnt ride so no epics. Thanks im looking forward to the trip as ive never been in the area.:cool:

Jan 21, 2006
Boone, NC
Asheville is pretty close to Pisgah forest. I'm pretty sure they have campsites up there too and those would be right by all of the trails. I've never camped up there though so i don't know where the campsites are.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
metalhead119042 said:
Asheville is pretty close to Pisgah forest. I'm pretty sure they have campsites up there too and those would be right by all of the trails. I've never camped up there though so i don't know where the campsites are.
:rolleyes: so...im looking for something a bit more specific.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Davidson River Campground right after the Pisgah entrance in Brevard. You can hit up a number of trails from there including
the wonderfulness that is the Black Mountain trail. There are also campsites by the river there as well. If you need some trail ideas, Sycamore Cycles is located right outside of the Pisgah entrance, and hook you with some info and some great coffee.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
dont pay to camp there man thats silly...but go and use the showers...continue up past the ranger station and you will see a sign for the horse stables on the right and a gravel forest service road ....its at the confluence of Avery Creek and the Davidson river...anyway...go right...free cmaping everywhere on a stream to lay around in and nobody camped 8 feet from you. you have the possibility for about 8 different 4 hour rides from where you will be camping.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
biggins said:
dont pay to camp there man thats silly...but go and use the showers...continue up past the ranger station and you will see a sign for the horse stables on the right and a gravel forest service road ....its at the confluence of Avery Creek and the Davidson river...anyway...go right...free cmaping everywhere on a stream to lay around in and nobody camped 8 feet from you. you have the possibility for about 8 different 4 hour rides from where you will be camping.
perfect, exactly what i was looking for thanks biggins:thumb:

biggins said:
I agree, go cherry pick one of the free campsites if you can. You are close enough that you can still get down to Davidson River Campground and use the facilities if you want too.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
are there any particular trails in that area you'd suggest? Im looking for some nice techy riding. Im riding a foes fxr so i can go up and down.

greenchris said:
are there any particular trails in that area you'd suggest? Im looking for some nice techy riding. Im riding a foes fxr so i can go up and down.
Talk to the guys at Sycamore Cycles on the corner of hwy 64 and hwy 280 just down the road from the Davidson River campground. You can buy a map there too - highly suggested. I'd check out Daniel Ridge, Black Mountain, Avery Creek, and Sycamore Cove just to name a few. With map in hand you can figure out how to loop stuff together.