Quantcast

Coming to WA and OR, where to ride?

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
So there's two of us heading down from Vancouver for some soulful epic XC riding. We're looking for flowing singletrack and amazing views.

So far the plan is to hit Tiger Mnt on the way down and I've PM'd Skookum about the Ape Canyon/Plains of Abraham ride and he's pointed me towards a ride at Blue Lake.

Is there any other rides that are a must do?

Also where should we camp? Any recomendations for a good site near Tiger Mnt and also somewhere near the rides around St Helens? I've looked at the USFS site and there's a lot of campgrounds to choose from.

Any help is most apreciated as we want to make the most of the days down there. Also anyone is welcome to join us for a ride or two. We have no firm plans of what ride to do when but we'll be riding Tiger on Weds 14th Sept and then heading to the other rides on the 15th. We're going to be back in Vanouver on the 18th.

Cheers,
Jon.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Oh my... Others may steer you elsewhere. But, I'd say if you only have a couple days, completely skip Tiger. It's ok for an after work ride. But, if you're already jaded by the awesome stuff up North, you'll be sorely disappointed with el tigre and it's lack of "soul". I'd keep going down and hit the White River/Skookum Flats area. Might get lucky on the 14th and get a Mount Rainier view from the Dalles Ridge Trail. Drop Palisades back to camp at Dalles Campground.
Shorter drive to Plains of Abe and Lewis River at St. Helens the next day too.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Point taken. I should have done that myself.
I've actually printed off a copy of the Mnt St Helens trails.

Girlwhoboards I'll get in touch when I know more of where/when/how. What ride would you be in for?

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Cheers all,

I now have a short list of rides:

Juniper Ridge
Blue Lake/Hamilton
Lewis River Trail
Ape Canyon/Plains of Abe

That should keep me busy.

One question on the Plains of Abe, from the map it looks like you can do a complete loop around St. Helens, should I head clockwise or counter clockwise?

ftlrider

Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Spokane
jon-boy said:
Point taken. I should have done that myself.
I've actually printed off a copy of the Mnt St Helens trails.

Girlwhoboards I'll get in touch when I know more of where/when/how. What ride would you be in for?
She'd be in for an easy ride on the Skookum Flats trail. But if it has more than 200 ft. of climbing then forget about it.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Ape Canyon/Plains of Abe can be looped into Smith Creek for an Epic. You may be able to scroll back and see reports from Oly, etc. on their last trip there. I don't think you can legally "ride around the mountain".

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Hey just to let you know alot of trails you need a forest pass. You can get one at any forest service or R.E.I. or what have you.

If you want a ride guide on a trail on the weekend lemme know, i'm still a little uncertain what i'm gonna do that weekend. i was toying around with a death march on West Fork Teanaway/Jolly Mountain loop, that's not flowy and has many rock cliffs of death. It's a punisher, but you're welcome to join me, it's in Cle Elum (east side of Cascade Mts close to I-90)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Snacks said:
If you have a chance, ride with Skookum. He will take you on a death march, but you'll have a good time doing it :thumb:
Haha i've been too easy on you guys. ;) This ride is a killer but it's also very nice. The Teanaway doesn't give up it's goods so easy, you gotta work almost harder on the downhill than the ascent. haha. :dancing:
It's probably going to hardest ride i do all year, 26 miles with 4600' climbing. i've usually shuttled it but i'm riding a loop now, i've heard the climb is easy with a half hour hike a bike to the top. Then techy descent with high exposure along cliffside above and on the river.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Dude! I can't keep up with you ping ponging back and forth! What other web pages are you postin' on now? You got 3-4 monitors blaring in front of you? :eek:

Yes, the Middle/West Loop is "epic" in the Plains/Smith Creek sort of way. West Fork canyon is a true hidden gem that you'd never expect to be out there. It's like the DeRoux descent on steroids. Flowy tech with a lot of "don't look down".

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Thanks for the help guys. Once I have a better idea of where we'll be camping and stuff I'll get in touch again.
Skookum, thanks for the tip on the forest pass. I wouldn't have known that otherwise.

Jon.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Hey one last question...
Are there any good bike shops that we'll be passing? We'll be heading down the I-5 and taking the 12 out to Randal.

Cheers,
Jon.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
You should stop and get a Washington State Road map while you're at it. :p
Depending on what time you drive thru Seattle, the traffic may cost you hours, take advantage of the carpool lanes, and if anything try to be rolling thru Seattle around 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. to avoid severe congestion.
Also to get to Randle the fastest....
South of Seattle take Renton exit to 518 head east for a tad
Take second exit to 167 head south
*option* take first exit cross street on 41'st take a right on Lind one block to your right Center Cycle.
As 167 approaches Puyallup take the 512 exit heading south
At the top of the hill take the Meridian exit (104th) take a left, it'll head south passing South Hill Mall
This road turns into 161
After Eatonville road T's into 7, take a left heading south
Follow 7 into Morton where it T's into 12
yummy Mexican right on the corner. :cool:

Have fun Kanuckleheads, remember no stealing of our women, we don't care if you ARE displaced Euro's..... ;) :monkey:

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Thanks all for all the info.
If anyone is interested this is the plan:

We'll be staying near Randle from Weds night (14th Sept). We'll be doing the Smith Creek/Ape/Plains of Abraham epic, the Juniper Ridge ride and the Blue Lakes/Hamilton loop. Not sure what order to do them, depends on the weather and it looks like we might have to do the Smith creek ride on Thursday as the weather is going to get cloudier (from looking at the forecast).
If anyone wants to join up for a ride let us know. PM me before the end of tomorrow as I won't have 'net access after that.

Jon.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
if you have some long underwear and a good rain jacket, bring em. It's starting to get cold up in the high country, all the flora is dying and the berries are gone, you're getting here at the right time, i imagine all these rides well be snowed in a matter of weeks to maybe months. Around this time, weather can be very unpredictable up there, be aware, and prepare accordingly. (Space blanket always a good idea to have in the pack)

Hamilton is a ripper, make sure whatever you do, that you ride to the top for the panorama and ride down that. Just the sweetest descent.....

Let us know how it all went. :D

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Space blanket, whistle, compass, rain jacket, spare cables, chain.... hopefully we've got it all covered. The forecast isn't looking too bad, but as you say it can change quickly up there.
Any interesting wildlife I should be keeping an eye open for?

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Seems that the mice in the campground were. One ran up my buddies pant leg!

Thanks for the ride tips. The Hamilton Bluffs descent is pure gold. Lewis River was a good mellow ride and Ape/Plains is very cool. Next year I want to do the full Smith Creek/Ape/Plains loop, but I was so beat from the Blue Lake ride (we rode from the Blue Lake campground) I couldn't face it.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
jon-boy said:
Seems that the mice in the campground were. One ran up my buddies pant leg!

Thanks for the ride tips. The Hamilton Bluffs descent is pure gold. Lewis River was a good mellow ride and Ape/Plains is very cool. Next year I want to do the full Smith Creek/Ape/Plains loop, but I was so beat from the Blue Lake ride (we rode from the Blue Lake campground) I couldn't face it.
Glad you had a great time. Maybe we'll see ya next year. :thumb: